Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
daaaaang
daaaaang began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
My mac does not notice the Cybook

Hey!

I just got the Cybook, and it worked fine for the first couple connects, but now when I connect it, nothing happens on my computer. The Cybook screen says it is connected (all with that picture of the USB cable), but my computer does not do anything at all.

I've tried both USB ports, and the cord is in all the way. Incidentally, my computer is a 2005 Powerbook G4. I'd wonder if the Cybook is supposed to not work with it, except that it did work a couple of times.

Oh, and yes, of course I've tried restarting my computer and the cybook.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
daaaaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaang View Post
Hey!

I just got the Cybook, and it worked fine for the first couple connects, but now when I connect it, nothing happens on my computer. The Cybook screen says it is connected (all with that picture of the USB cable), but my computer does not do anything at all.

I've tried both USB ports, and the cord is in all the way. Incidentally, my computer is a 2005 Powerbook G4. I'd wonder if the Cybook is supposed to not work with it, except that it did work a couple of times.

Oh, and yes, of course I've tried restarting my computer and the cybook.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
When you say your Mac doesn't "do" anything, what did it "do" before? Also, even if it doesn't, say, pop up a window to tell you the Cybook's been attached, can you still go into your file manager and access the Cybook and/or the SD card?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
daaaaang

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
When you say your Mac doesn't "do" anything, what did it "do" before?
The Cybook appeared as a USB storage device. No messages came up or anything; it just appeared. Now it does not appear. My computer does not seem to recognize that it is attached.

On a further note, I tried hooking it up to my friends Mactel (tried both USB ports, etc.), and that didn't work either. So this is either a problem with the Cybook itself, or I am missing some kind of driver.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Sorry for the obvious question, but are you using the USB cable that came with your Cybook? The mini USB connector that plugs into the Cybook is a little longer then on some USB cables. Some of my other USB cables fall a little (ahemn) short. They are long enough to light up the power light but not long enough to establish a data connection.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
daaaaang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
are you using the USB cable that came with your Cybook?
Yes I am.
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
I've tried both USB ports, and the cord is in all the way.
I would try to carefully push cable all the way and then try to wiggle it a bit to check. What you are experiencing is happening to me sometimes - Cybook shows it's connected but computer is unaware something is plugged in. Just try couple of times to plug cable into Cybook. Eventually it's going to work.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried using a different USB cable? If it fails to be recognised on two different machines, then it sounds like a fault in either the cable or the Gen3, and the cable is the more likely culprit by far.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Make sure the USB cable is pushed all the way into the Cybook. Also, try all the USB ports available in the computer. It seems stupid, but both things have been the reason of similar problems I've had.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
daaaaang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
I would try to carefully push cable all the way and then try to wiggle it a bit to check.
I guess my problem is a little steeper; I tried this for about a half hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you tried using a different USB cable? If it fails to be recognised on two different machines, then it sounds like a fault in either the cable or the Gen3, and the cable is the more likely culprit by far.
That makes sense. I don't have another USB cable, so it may take a little while before I can test this out, but I will as soon as I can.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I guess my problem is a little steeper; I tried this for about a half hour.

That makes sense. I don't have another USB cable, so it may take a little while before I can test this out, but I will as soon as I can.
Before you do that, try another USB port on your PC. That sometimes helps - and don't go through a USB hub, but connect direct.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
daaaaang

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you so much, it works perfectly now!

Matt
Old 07-19-2008, 03:30 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My pleasure! Pleased to hear that you got it sorted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #13
chel
chel began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Hi
I just joined today and I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I'm having with my Cybook. I purchased it last week as I have been after an ebook reader to complete my university reading list. I am an English and Philosophy student so you can imagine how many books I have to read and how little time I get to spend in one place.
What attracted me to the Cybook was the fact that it could be used on both mac and windows. I am primarily a Mac user but I use a windows machine at uni. I've tried charging it up over two consequetive days but I have been unable to get it to register on either. It did come up briefly on a windows machine at uni briefly but then the windows system crashed. When I tried it today it just came up with USB device not recognized. What's more I have never been able to get it to work on my mac.
I am at the stage where I am practically beating my head against a brick wall trying to get some sense out of it and posting here really was a last resort. I have tried emailing Bookeen but, as yet, have heard nothing.

I don't know if this is connected to the problem but the other problem I am having is that it says connected on the device even when it is not.

I can't even access the user manual to see what it says as my mac doesn't support the file.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help!!!!!!!
chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
Hi
I just joined today and I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I'm having with my Cybook. I purchased it last week as I have been after an ebook reader to complete my university reading list. I am an English and Philosophy student so you can imagine how many books I have to read and how little time I get to spend in one place.
What attracted me to the Cybook was the fact that it could be used on both mac and windows. I am primarily a Mac user but I use a windows machine at uni. I've tried charging it up over two consequetive days but I have been unable to get it to register on either. It did come up briefly on a windows machine at uni briefly but then the windows system crashed. When I tried it today it just came up with USB device not recognized. What's more I have never been able to get it to work on my mac.
I am at the stage where I am practically beating my head against a brick wall trying to get some sense out of it and posting here really was a last resort. I have tried emailing Bookeen but, as yet, have heard nothing.

I don't know if this is connected to the problem but the other problem I am having is that it says connected on the device even when it is not.

I can't even access the user manual to see what it says as my mac doesn't support the file.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help!!!!!!!
Hi Chel!

My Cybook has never been connected to a PC... So there should not be any problem with your Cybook on a Mac.

First you have to make sure that it is properly charged. 3-4 hours. Do you have a charger or do you use the USB connection ??? If you Cybook is well charged, and turned on, it should show up on your mac as one volume or two, depending if your SD card is in or not.

Regards

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
My CyBook was recognized at once by my "old" iMac G5 (PPC+System X)... and has been working faultlessly with my XP laptop for the past month...
Sorry.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connect, cybook, mac, usb