Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
eBooks with glasses?

Question?... who here reads with BiFocal or TriFocal glasses? which Zone do you use, what font size and font style settings etc? I have been experimenting and need some advice and opinions... as I have TriFocal glasses, I have been reading with middle zone and some with lower zone.. which and what is most comfortable?
Thanks in advance..
Mr. Question Asker..

Last edited by FanciFreez; 10-13-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Correct Title
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

Tri-focal lenses

Since I have to spend hours in front of a computer, the mid range field is extra wide for my prescription. Usually I have the tv on for the teenager at home, so I have trained myself to read from the lower section, being able to look up to check out his computer and the tv across the room.

No special fonts or special settings for the iPad/kindle dx/paper white.
Sorry I could not help more..... It just takes a little time to get used to the prescription.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
When I had my lens replacement surgery done, I told my doctor that I read and am on the computer a lot, so he gave me a different focal point in one eye so that I can read without my bifocals, which is really neat. Solved that problem for me, because I always had difficulties reading with the bifocals. I don't mind having to use the glasses for everything else - been wearing them since I was 7 anyway.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm at a computer all day and work and most nights at home. So I had a separate pair of glass for the computer (mid range) and bifocals for near and far. (I wore contacts for over 35 years, and I'm having a lot of trouble acclimating to the loss of peripheral vision just switching back to glasses - I'm just not ready to work with trifocals or no-lines).

Anyway, if I'm awake and not feeling tired *and* the lighting is good, I can read using the computer glasses - just holding the book further away. If the lighting isn't great or it's been a long day and I'm tired, I'll up the font size. Or I'll put on the bifocals and read using the bottom frame in the bifocal.

I can't really tell if giving you a "font size" would help, though. I find that the books seem to default to different sizes, so in one book, I have to set it to 14 pt, another to 16, another to 20. And those all look the same. (I suspect that's because I sometimes hard-code a font size, and the Pocketbook treats that like the default expected font size - whatever size the firmware assumes is normal?)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I've been wearing trifocals for thirty years or so, but have no idea what settings I have or what frame I normally use - it just comes automatically.

I do remember though that for the first few days after I got them they made me feel ill as I walked down the street. But I soon got used to them.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Bompa65
Connoisseur
Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Vox
I use trifocals and find them difficult to do any lengthy reading or computer work.

I asked my Optometrist what my lenses strengths were, which he gladly gave me, and went to the Dollar store and got a pair for reading and one for computer work.

It certainly stopped the pains I used to get in my neck and shoulders from tilting my head to use the proper lens .

Bompa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I used to have hard contacts for over 20 years and then my eyes didn't take them anymore. So I am still trying to get used to glasses after 2 years. They tried trifocals on me and it was a disaster. The bottom area was so tiny I could barely line up a line of text on my kindle to read. And then the medium was too small to see any part of the computer screen right.
When I still had contacts I would basically just read with reading glasses over my contacts.

So no I have bifocals and I ordered those from the zenni place since the local place refused to change the reading number from what the doctor prescribed. They make them really close and I can't read holding my kindle that close to my face. So I just took off a step on the prescription on the reading part and order it like that. I also use a separate pair for computer by adding a medium number to my prescription. For me every few inches I need a different number.

I have gotten used to the bifocals and reading, but next time I'll get some glasses that have a more squarish bottom so that the reading part has more area. Right now the kindle screen does not quite fit into the field of view all the way. It does mostly though.

Size I like 4 out of 8 on my kindle. Mass market paperbacks are just a tad to small for me now as far as font goes. Trade paper I can do, but I prefer my kindle as I can glide over the text better. When you have to line up your bifocals its just much easier to have a flat surface to look at I think rather than the curves of a paperback.

Aging is not for sissies I always say. Eyes just keep going downhill. Mostly the near stuff. I have had glasses since I was 2 and I am farsighted with astigmatism. So once I hit my late 30's, I started to wear reading glasses over my contacts because I read so much. Now all that has to be packed into glasses. I basically don't have much of near distance left, anything before the TV that is. And close enough I use my reading part on the bifocals.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I also wear multifocal glasses, and I have found that while they are good in theory, in practice they can be difficult. Therefore, I always get a couple pairs of reading glasses when I get my multifocals. That way, I have a pair at work which stay there and a pair here at home by my pc.

Since I spend hours a day at the pc, both at work and at home reading, it is simply easier for me to put on my readers for both the pc & reading.

The only time I use my multifocals for reading is when I'm traveling between home and work.

Needless to say I spend a small fortune every couple of years updating my glasses.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I have worn transitional (no line) bifocals for about 20 years. I work all day with computers, and read (mainly on a PW2) at night for 2-4 hours. I have not yet invested in mid-range computer glasses (my office chair is on wheels and I simply adjust my distance from the screen with my keyboard in my lap).

My main problem while reading is with eye fatigue - not the bifocals. I usually read while watching sports on TV with the sound off, so as I shift my eyes from page to TV, I automatically move to different lens areas to focus. I favor "modern" fonts on the ereader (sans serif fonts that are less 'busy' and appear sharper & crisper) - Helvetica, Tahoma, Futura. Bottom line - the ability to increase font size helps the most with tired eyes.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I need to my glasses off to read for any length of time.

Day to day, I currently have progressives that supposedly should take me from reading distance through far distance. In practice I hate them and can't wait to get the replaced.
Intermediate distance is a battle to keep my head positioned just right, and for reading they are near useless.

I need to consult an optometrist, but I think my next pair will just be single vision for distance, or maybe intermediate/distant bifocals.

I have intermediate distance single vision glasses just for working at the computer.

Last edited by ApK; 10-14-2013 at 11:50 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I've been wearing progressives for several years and have no problems seeing distance, the computer screen, or my Nook Tablet.

Having said that, finding the right progressives took a lot of trial and error. I had to return a pair that came from a large nationwide chain because I couldn't read at all with their version.

Now I know that there is only one brand and type of progressives that will work for me. Unfortunately, price matters, at least for me. Frame size matters too; some glasses are too small for all the distances to fit.

With glasses, I can easily read fairly small print on my Nook Tablet or iPad, but what's even nicer is that I can read large type without my glasses. (Great for falling asleep over a book, which I do every night. )
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I had cataract surgery in 2005 and got one eye done for close and one for distance. I still need a pair if glasses for that anyway because cataract lenses only came in .5 diopter ranges, not .25 and I have astigmatism too. I can use those glasses for both reading and computer if I have the monitor closer than normal and reading a little further.

I also have a pair of what I call mono focus bifocals. I have one eye for close and distance and one eye for midrange and close. I use these at work and pretty much everything but long periods of reading.

But try to find a doctor now to prescribe them is difficult. I will have to travel back to my old eye doctor for a new prescription. A few doctors I have tried locally say what I want cannot work. Forget the fact that I am already using them and they are great - especially in the supermarket to see prices on the shelf. I think the doctors that say my mono focus bifocals won't work are the same ones who say regular mono focus glasses don't work. I adjusted to that pretty easily.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
My wife does the dollar store, pair for piano, one for reading and regular glasses for tv while another dollar store for reading in bed :-)

Me? Trifocals and compute all day on middle (told doc I wanted it at 30 inches) and it is perfect for computing. Use lower part for some reading, middle for other when reader is further away.

Seems to me it is kind of what works for you. I am dyslexic so use a sepia or tan background which helps a lot.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I've used progressive bifocals since before I got my first e-reader. The eye doctor said that I could either stop knitting, reading, and playing video games, or get bifocals.

When I had my EZ Reader I used the "medium" font, and the coolreader engine for best reading. The Nook STR I had for a while was terrible. Some of the books I had were locked into tiny, thin fonts and I couldn't read them. My Kobo mini is good. I tend to use something around size 12 to 14, and I want to say that I'm using Meyro(sp?) font. It's easy to read and has unicode characters.

Mind you, I don't see 20/20 even with glasses, so I'm not sure if you'll have my luck with lenses, or if you'll be like some of the other people in this thread.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
Historiann
Connoisseur
Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
I got my first trifocals (lined, not progressive) this summer and it took awhile to get used to them. Turned out, though, that part of the problem was the glasses themselves. Because a measurement was slightly off, a new set of lenses had to be ordered and the frames had to be adjusted several times. Thank goodness for my wonderfully patient and dedicated optician! Now that all that has been straightened out, I read through the lower portion with the font size in the mid-range. It took awhile for my eyes to get used to having the mid-range part of the lens and to use that for computer work but now my eyes automatically go the portion of the lens that works best for the task at hand. Good luck!
Historiann is offline   Reply With Quote