Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Is Universal Reading Progress Sync Possible?

Let me preface this by saying that I have the coding background of an Alaskan malamute.

One maddening thing about owning several devices is that, unless you're willing to be tethered to a particular store and brand, your reading progress is unlikely to sync from device to device.

Here's what I wondered: Whether it would be possible to have Calibre or a plugin read one's progress in various books on various e-readers, record the latest progress as metadata, and store it both on the initial device and on the one to which the progress is being transferred.

Ideally, device-to-device dynamic progress data would become a part of epub generally and not Calibre's frighteningly broad skill set, but as we all know, Calibre is reliably good at resolving issues and implementing features which, if left to IPDF, would dissolve into twitches and standoffs.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-25-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Anything is possible. But for calibre to implement something, someone capable of writing the code has to care enough. Typically that someone will care about the one or two devices they posses. Then someone(s) else have to implement it for the other N-2 devices. Then, yet another someone has to implement translation of the position scheme from one device to another. And then another lot of someones have to commit to maintaining the code as devices and sync schemes and ebook formats evolve.

Incidentally, the IDPF has actually developed a spec (EPUB3 CFI) for cross device epub syncing, unfortunately, as far as I know, calibre's ebook viewer is the only software that actually follows that spec, and that too, only because I thought it would be an excellent excuse to learn CoffeeScript. Like most of the IDPF's efforts CFI is hard to understand, let alone implement and was developed too late, so most ebook software developers resort to silly schemes like adding ids to every element (Amazon and Kobo are examples).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As Kovid said, anything is possible. I have the code to sync reading positions between my calibre library and my two Kobo devices for sideloaded books. The non-sideloaded books do it via the Kobo servers with a "silly scheme". And I agree it is silly. I can sort of see why someone would think of it, but in the long term, it isn't that practical.

What Kobo uses for epubs is something that I think is based on what ADE uses. I have thought of converting this to what the calibre viewer uses, but just haven't had a real need. If I do it, it would be mainly for the challenge.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote