Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Posting images in MR from the iPad

I haven't worked out a way to post an image in MR threads while using an iPad other than to link a URL or use the IMG tag in the forums.
So if I have an image on my photo roll/album/photo stream I can't post use it.
Does anyone upload to MR from the iPad?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Cannot be done because iOS browsers have no file picker.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Well facebook certainly does so an app could have an image picker. It is not an iOS limitation but maybe a Safari one. Anybody know if tapatalk can post images?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're correct... it's just that I have about 6 iOS web browsers installed, with Atomic Web Browser my favourite, but none of them has an image picker, as far as I'm aware. Perhaps "lobbying" with the developers of those browsers might help.

PS: What's truly annoying about iOS is that it doesn't allow me to set Atomic Web Browser as my default browser.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
You're correct... it's just that I have about 6 iOS web browsers installed, with Atomic Web Browser my favourite, but none of them has an image picker, as far as I'm aware. Perhaps "lobbying" with the developers of those browsers might help.

PS: What's truly annoying about iOS is that it doesn't allow me to set Atomic Web Browser as my default browser.
This was posted with fast browser. I do agree about not being able to set the default browser.

Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	99182  

Last edited by DaleDe; 01-10-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Great! Not familiar with Fast Browser yet. I prefer Atomic Web Browser mainly because of its great, customizable 2-finger, 3-finger gestures.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You plug in the iPad to the computer and you might be able to then extract the images wanted. I did so with screen shots I took.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Ah, no need to plug in the iPad to the computer... There are lots of ways of uploading all pictures from the iPad to the computer automatically, such as via the iCloud PhotoStream or via the Dropbox app. You can also simply email any picture to yourself. Ever since iCloud was launched in 2011, you don't ever need to plug in your iPad to the computer, for any purpose. You don't even need to own a computer to use your iPad fully.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But you can plug in your computer without needing iTunes installed so you can hopefully get access to the photos you want.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Erm... I just don't see why anyone would be plugging in their iPads to their computers, when there are lots faster ways to get all pictures from the iPad to the computer, and fully automated ways, too, so that as soon as you start up your computer, all pictures from the iPad are already waiting for you there.

Using the USB cable (and, indeed, iTunes) for anything at all with an iPad/iPhone is hopelessly old-fashioned and ineffective nowadays. Jobs was right in spurning USB ports -- it's snow of yesterday, and this is the wireless era.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you can plug in your computer without needing iTunes installed so you can hopefully get access to the photos you want.
The goal was not to get pictures to a computer. That is easy and well known. The goal was to post a picture to the MobileRead forum from an iPad. No computer involved.

Dale
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The goal was not to get pictures to a computer. That is easy and well known. The goal was to post a picture to the MobileRead forum from an iPad. No computer involved.

Dale
But can it be done without having to buy an app?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a bit of a test

It looks broken. Can anyone else see it?

Edit: this is what I tried. Maybe it will get the ball rolling and someone else will add some missing info to get it working.
In DropBox I turned on Camera Upload so it accesses my photo album and uploads it to a folder on their server. Then, in Dropbox, I navigate to the camera upload folder and select the image I want to post. Using the iOS send to icon (the square with the arrow jumping out) I selected copy link and pasted it into the IMG tag above. But it's broken. Like when you try and get Facebook image.

Does anyone know how to move an image from the Camera Upload folder in DropBox to the Public folder with the iPad. Links to that folder definitely work.

Last edited by wannabee; 01-11-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Does anyone know how to move an image from the Camera Upload folder in DropBox to the Public folder with the iPad.
I'm sure you can do that, for example, by logging into your Dropbox account via a regular web browser (like Safari) on your iPad.

Also, "office suite" apps like QuickOffice should make it possible for you to move files between folders in your Dropbox account.

Dropbox is a great service and I couldn't live without it, but the Dropbox app for iOS is very lame and quite buggy sometimes. See the inability to perform some basic file operations in it, like moving files between folders.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #15
wannabee
Media Bloke

I logged in to Dropbox in safari selected the image on camera uploads clicked move and the destinations pop up but won't scroll normally. I finally got it to scroll using two fingers. Go figure.
So, finally have the image in Public. Usually it's right click and copy public link.
Of course there's no right click.
So all you can do is select it. The image redraws in a new window with a link icon. When tapped, the choice is twitter, Facebook or email.
So I email it to myself thinking it will provide a link.
I copied the link in the email I received and pasted it into the IMG tag above.

Oh . . . Of course it won't work. Links shared with PUBLIC automatically download on PC and MAC browsers.

Back to square one.