Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sony Reader Store email

I just received this email from the Sony Reader Store:

"Dear Reader Store customer:

As a follow-up to our announcement on February 6, 2014, we wanted to remind you that Reader Store will be closing March 20, 2014 at 6 p.m. (EST). Although we are sorry to say goodbye, we are confident that the transition to Kobo will allow you to continue to enjoy a high quality e-reading experience.

So, what's next?

As a reminder, in late March, you will receive a notification from us with a link that will allow you to transfer your library to Kobo. Whether you are new to Kobo or already have an account, you'll be able to transfer your Reader Store eBooks to your Kobo account so you'll continue to have access to them in the future. Plus, any existing Reader Store credits you might still have in your account will transfer to your Kobo account to use at the Kobo Store. And of course, you can continue to use your Sony Reader to read eBooks from Kobo.

We are fully committed to helping you through this exciting transition to Kobo. With the Kobo Store, you'll have access to more than 4 million of the world's best eBooks, magazines, comics and kids' titles, all at your fingertips.

We want to thank you for being such loyal customers, a part of our reading family, and for your continued support as we work to complete this transition. It has been a pleasure reading with you!

Sincerely,

The Reader Store Team"

Luckily I switched to Amazon Kindles four years ago.

Last edited by sirmaru; 03-11-2014 at 06:29 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I glanced at the email, as well as the previous one but didn't really go through it.
Does anyone know if the Sony store will migrate your account into an EXISTING Kobo account? All of the FAQ's I looked at just explain what Kobo is, how to set up a Kobo account, and that the epub format is the same etc. etc. etc. I couldn't find anything about what to do if you have a Kobo account to migrate to already.
It's mostly an academic question for me, as I have long since Alf'd any Sony Store purchases, but it piques my curiousity.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I glanced at the email, as well as the previous one but didn't really go through it.
Does anyone know if the Sony store will migrate your account into an EXISTING Kobo account? All of the FAQ's I looked at just explain what Kobo is, how to set up a Kobo account, and that the epub format is the same etc. etc. etc. I couldn't find anything about what to do if you have a Kobo account to migrate to already.
It's mostly an academic question for me, as I have long since Alf'd any Sony Store purchases, but it piques my curiousity.
It is my understanding that Sony ebooks will move to an existing Kobo account.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I don't use Kobo. Its too bad they are not offering an optional link to move those eBooks to an Amazon account.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Amazon doesn't sell epub books, so that wouldn't work at all.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I don't use Kobo. Its too bad they are not offering an optional link to move those eBooks to an Amazon account.
if you have any books (free or purchase) from the sony store, you can either move it to an existing kobo account or create a new kobo account. that's my understanding.

if you want to save the books on your sony store account, the smart thing to do would be to create the kobo account, just so you can access it if there is a need.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I wonder why they are closing. They remain open in Australia, UK, Germany and... somewhere else I can't remember...
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I long since DLed them to my computer and liberated them. Bye Bye Sony, you quitters. That is twice in the past decade that they have bailed on a good technology. They bailed out on their Clie line of PalmOS PDAs and now they have bailed out on their eReader line. Maybe if they hadn't turned out such expensive units and had really tried to compete. And of course, if they had fixed their book store and syncing ability. Kobo is even worse than Sony IMHO. Better to have liberated than transferred from the fire into the frying pan. Too late now though!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I wonder why they are closing. They remain open in Australia, UK, Germany and... somewhere else I can't remember...
They are leaving the U.S. market. Apparently can't compete.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I was disappointed when Sony decided to give up on the US market with the T3 even though without a frontlight I probably would have passed on it. The Reader Store - not so much.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
It costs money to keep an ebookstore running and Sony's finances are too tight to waste any on a futile gesture. Once they cancelled the release of the T3, the fate of the store was sealed. As to the other stores, their fate depends on whether they do a T4.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #12
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
I just wish they didn't quit until they made a front lit reader. I didn't mind paying more for their readers for the quality you got.

I did not like the kindles with the keyboards and they took too long to get rid of them. My boyfriend has one and it is so big and feels cheap.

Are the new PW's plastic also?
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragons View Post
I just wish they didn't quit until they made a front lit reader. I didn't mind paying more for their readers for the quality you got.
I must admit the build quality of my PRS-650 far surpasses that of my Kobo... oh well...
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Many of the points in this thread are well made and often repeated but I have to disagree with some. I dug out my Sony eReaders and compared them to my Kobo Aura HD. The early Sonys were built like tanks: solid metal cases and buttons that pressed hard enough that you knew they would never wear out. The newer PRS series though, not so much. My PRS T1 is no better made than my Kobo Aura HD (frankly, it seems flimsy by comparison).

It's obvious that Sony did the honorable thing when they arranged to protect their customers by sending their books to the other American ePub vendor. I disagree with the criticism of sloppy construction of the Kobos and I also disagree with the sometimes expressed notion that kePub formatted books are not good. To me, it is the opposite, they are the first presentation of an eBook on an eInk screen that really duplicates the best practices of traditional publishing. I have many ePub books and many kePubs, and it is apparent that some publishers do better than others when they publish, but you have to blame the publishing house for that. When the publisher does their job right the resulting kePub is fabulous.

Kobo sells their books in plain vanilla ePub OR in kePub format although to get the kePub version you need an eReader capable of rendering kePub, which means a Kobo reader. I'm excited to discover whether my old Sony books will be available for download to my Aura HD in kePub form.

I'm seeing a lot of anxiety about this change but honestly, it's misplaced: Kobo is a great company. Their newest and best eReaders, the Auras, are state of the art--presently a generation ahead of Kindle. Their eBook store and customer support haven't had 20 years of honing like Amazon's but Kobo's customer support keeps getting better.

No need to fret. Wait a bit and see how this develops. You have an upgrade path if you chose to use it, and if so, you may find that your old library just got better.

Last edited by 6charlong; 03-21-2014 at 02:32 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Kobo sells their books in plain vanilla ePub OR in kePub format although to get the kePub version you need an eReader capable of rendering kePub, which means a Kobo reader.
I am not well acquainted with the kePub format, so I would have a couple of questions:

- Why do you actually need a Kobo reader? Isn't just a question of proprietary software? In which case I'm wondering if the Sony readers will get updated for it...

- Do kePubs play nice with Alf? Considering my recent experience with Sony, this is now clearly a must...

But it's nice to hear some good things about Kobo. For one, I like what I have seen from their most recent hardware, although I'm still loath to drop that much on a product I have not been able to physically hold.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote