Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
condor
condor began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I think they need to design a flexible use building that will allow them to make such changes in the future, but that it isn't time to abandon the physical content model quite yet.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This will be a huge savings on rent, utilities, and other expenses. I like it!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Combine internet with the vast numbers of available e-books and it is a true library, even if it is virtual. The only unfortunate part is that there are so many books that have not yet been converted to digital format. This is sad, but resolvable. As a comparison, in the US there are still movies that are available in VHS but not DVD - but slowly getting fixed.....
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Yes, a server with some ebooks is a library, Calibre is a library, mobileread actually does call itself a library. Why are these entities not lobbying for some federal funds then? If, in the future no one will be reading printed books, the purveyors of ebooks will become more important.

My local library has tons of content flowing through it on a daily basis, and I mean that literally It will probably be another decade before this change really starts to occur. When people with ereaders start buying them for their kids and what not, teaching them how to read with em.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #20
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Paper books don't crash. So I expect them to outlast eBooks.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Paper books don't crash. So I expect them to outlast eBooks.
Ahh, but digital copies of books can be backed up and saved against fatal crashes. Plus they take up less room. I expect my ebooks will last longer than my printed copies. I already have way more ebooks than I ever had printed books.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #22
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS

Show me some technology to equal that
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #23
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I love that image of the Dead Sea Scrolls. It is beautiful!

But as libraries move into the digital age, those paper books and scrolls should be retained in museum-like libraries, such as the Library of Congress. Made digital, they would be instantly availablle to anyone, anywhere, anytime.

My own local library is a mausoleum. IF it happens to be open, and IF I absolutely must go there for my annual card renewal, there are people sitting at every computer console. No one is reading or browsing the stacks. Every morning of the week, craft classes are taught there. One day is knitting, the next is quilting, etc. Nobody is reading anything. To me, this already sounds like what is being proposed.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
My own local library is a mausoleum. IF it happens to be open, and IF I absolutely must go there for my annual card renewal, there are people sitting at every computer console. No one is reading or browsing the stacks. Every morning of the week, craft classes are taught there. One day is knitting, the next is quilting, etc. Nobody is reading anything. To me, this already sounds like what is being proposed.
Sounds more like a community center than it does a library. Maybe the two should be combined under the same government agency and one of the two facilities shut down to better utilize tax dollars.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #25
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
In the UK

I cannot find the reference any more, but I recall reading a suggestion that a few libraries may close and re-locate to large supermarkets.....[unless I dreamt it!]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

Exceptional, but the scrolls are a lonely survivor of their age. How much more was lost in the Library of Alexandria?
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #27
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
You're kidding right?

2 million ebooks aren't enough for you?
No. We want variety. We want old books too. We want the other millions that are not in ebook form. The more, the higher the chance we'll find something we need/like.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #28
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
It was suggested in another thread as a possible solution to closing libraries and equally quickly refuted as being unlikely for a supermarket to host a free service competing with its own book retailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
In the UK

I cannot find the reference any more, but I recall reading a suggestion that a few libraries may close and re-locate to large supermarkets.....[unless I dreamt it!]
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #29
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
No. We want variety. We want old books too. We want the other millions that are not in ebook form. The more, the higher the chance we'll find something we need/like.
Old books? Google Books has 2 million PD books in epub format.

My original comment was to a poster who complained that there were very few ebooks. If 2 million is very few, I'd like to see what many is.

What there aren't enough of, I will admit, is backlist books - those that are still in copyright but have fallen out of print.

There should be enough old books to satisfy anyone who likes old books.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #30
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

We needed the latest in computer technology to be able to read those, once we used the latest computer technology to find 'em.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote