Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #46
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
kenny, please, go back under your bridge.

scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Please stick to the topic and answer the question instead of attacking the person.

My statement was relevant and on topic. If you'd care to address it please do but drop the personal attacks.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #48
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

kenny. your posts have been reported. i'm not going to let you and your nonsense turn this forum back into a battlefield. please. go troll elsewhere. this place picked up quite a bit in your absence and i much prefer it that way.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #49
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Apple forum really begs for trolling, doesn't it? Kind of exciting.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #50
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I can hardly think to blame a device that gives you options to do things other than read.

it's also less likely that future devices will only display books as well, the kindle has had email and web surfing, no matter how slowly, for a long time now. nook got games recently. others will be forced to go multi-function or simple be passed over by consumers as "limited"
I see it as a positive. But, someone who believes reading is the best thing a person can do with free time might think otherwise.

Oh, and coming back after a few months I see Keenc is still at it
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #51
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I hate reading books on my iPad. Don't get me wrong, I love it for other things, and it is my sole source for reading news and magazines, but when it comes to sustained reading, I find I hate it. I miss the Kindle I had to sell to afford the iPad. I bought a Nook and haven't opened it yet...I hate to justify two eReaders. Sigh.
You remind me of a colleague who got a brand new 19" Monitor at work (this was a few years ago) and ran it at 800x600 because he was used to that resolution on his old 14" screen. "It's so small" was his response when I tried to set the native resolution. When I pointed out that a TFT looks funny when used with other resolutions than the native one he replied "that's okay, still looks better than this teensy weensy text. I can't even find the icons"

Screen real estate is like boobs. There is no "too much"
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm not sure why there is always so much angst in this forum section.

Please... if you can't all play nice together... something you should have learned to do in Kindergarten we will have to keep closing these threads.

Remember, name calling isn't OK... however, disagreeing politely is fine. However, once you've posted and made your point... there is no need to try and change anyone's mind. It's not going to happen.

Let's be good to each other please.

BOb
<moderator>

Last edited by pilotbob; 06-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #53
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I can hardly think to blame a device that gives you options to do things other than read.
Scott,
I agree with you the device is not to blame, but I have the same psychological issue the guys described when I tried to read eBooks on my laptop.
Knowing that my email, Facebook or my favourite forums are only one keystroke away, I cannot dive deep in reading as I do with my PRS-600 or with a pBook.
I don't have an iPad yet, I think I'll go for it soon, as I think it is a wonderful tool, but I fear I could have the same issue with it.
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #54
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
"I'm not sure why there is always so much angst in this forum section. "

Because, unlike other forums here, there are some who do not even own the device, but have to butt in. It is truly a mystery to me but some have some kind of need to camp out and hassle the people that simply want to chat about the device whose use they all share. I came back to check MR out after leaving a few months ago over this very issue. And there are many that left and even more that never even signed up because of it...

I hope MR has changed, time will tell.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #55
scottjl
Reader of Books

well. i can understand your point. maybe apple needs to sell some sort of mental blinders. lol. it's funny, for all the people arguing they want multitasking, there are those who find the lure of multitasking a distraction.

"damned if you do.. damned if you don't."

personally. i'd rather carry one device that can do multiple functions, than separate devices all doing one thing. makes for a lighter backpack. but to each his own.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #56
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
Scott,
I agree with you the device is not to blame, but I have the same psychological issue the guys described when I tried to read eBooks on my laptop.
Knowing that my email, Facebook or my favourite forums are only one keystroke away, I cannot dive deep in reading as I do with my PRS-600 or with a pBook.
I don't have an iPad yet, I think I'll go for it soon, as I think it is a wonderful tool, but I fear I could have the same issue with it.
I think its an interesting point. But the Kindle, Nook, and even the EB1150 had more features than just the reading of books. I think what the iPad and iPhone just make it a lot easier to get distracted

Personally, I do find myself, like Bremen, actually reading fewer books now that I've had my iPad...but I've only had one for a little over a month. Not sure how my usage habits will change when the iPhone 4 comes out
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #57
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
I thoroughly enjoy reading books on my iPad. I've not encountered any Kind of issues with it.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #58
scottjl
Reader of Books

but i ask this, with whatever else you're being distracted into doing, is it something you're not getting some level of satisfaction out of? if you take time off from reading a book to play a game, are you not enjoying the game? if you're reading some news on a web site, are you not getting something out of that?

you're simply trading off some reading time for doing something else that you hopefully enjoy, if you don't, i don't understand how you're distracted into doing it.

am i reading less on my ipad than i did on my sony 600? absolutely. am i dissatisfied with that fact? no. i enjoy that i now have some more options and don't have to reach for another device (laptop/desktop/cell phone)
Old 06-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #59
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I think what the iPad and iPhone just make it a lot easier to get distracted
Yep, that's how technology can change our habits (maybe for good).
I realized that it's becoming difficult for me to watch a 2 hours movie on my laptop without interruptions, cause it happens that something in the movie makes me think of a song and I can pause the movie and open youtube and listen to it, or there is in the movie a reference to something I can look for on wikipedia.
Is it a richer experience or am I losing the immersion in the movie I experienced in the old times ?
In the past when I bought a CD I inserted it in the player and listened to it for 2-3 times without interruption. Now when I download a mp3 collection, when I'm half through the songlist I often switch to some other artist, cause I have such a big library, and it's so easy to pick up anything.
I'm not complaining against technology, please don't misunderstand me, I just think it's interesting how our habits are changing. Maybe who produce culture and enterteinment should start thinking about how to use this new multimedia tools. e.g. what about books with their own soundtrack (music or noises or whatever), chosen by the author ? Or maybe books with charachters that sends you emails or ping you on Facebook while you are reading ?
Well, maybe I'm way too OT now...
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #60
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Well put, Scott. Couldn't have said it better myself.

In fact my girlfriend' a heavy reader, was debating between a Nook and the new Novel-I'm buying-and her concern initially was "I don't need all that other stuff ." That lasted until I gave her a scenario in which she was in a coffee shop reading when she suddenly got an idea to note down or something she wanted to research/look up right away/email. "Oh look, I don't have to search for a pen and paper or get up to go find a computer...I'll just pause my book and open the notepad app, web browser, email, etc with this little device." She likes the idea of having those basic capabilities available in a pinch. Sure, the Novel gets just 6 hours of charge but it's not bad for a $112 multifunction device. That's still enough time for her to read a bunch and still do some other things, then put it on the charger at night before going to bed.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote