Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #61
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
No. It's possible to read ebooks on loads of devices that aren't covered with a specific forum.

I used to read books on my Palm T3 - where's its forum?

The Apple Tablet either belongs in the iPhone forum (since the iTunesLP format will inevitably bring its own host of issues that are unique to Apple devices and it's just going to be an upsized iPod Touch anyway), or here with the rest of the non-specific devices.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #62
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Thank you .... and agree with your prediction...No to a dedicated apple tablet forum...

All you MACHEADS...... There are many TABLETS already on the market...IF you want a tablet so much....look around. MR has done several reviews of some good tablets. Sounds like MACLEMMINGS to me. Only when Apple releases a product will they buy it.

Then they revolutionize that 'field'.

Hello MACHEADS: Wake up and smell the coffee. They did not revolutionize MP3's or smart phones. My Casio phone does more than an iphone and it is an average phone here in Japan.

IF Apple released a MACTOILET Brush would you MACHEADS buy that as well?
Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive?

whatever the products did or didnt do if you dont like them why are you so bothered to post that attack?
I think many products are awful and their are authors i dont like.

I dont feel the need to go into those topics and abuse the people who do like them!

Grow up dude!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #63
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
We might all have it wrong. Kotaku (a gaming blog) have been invited to the Apple announcement event on the 27th. Could a games console of some kind be unveiled at the event, rather than a tablet? The iPhone as a gaming device has taken off quite unexpectedly in the last couple of years and as everyone knows, the gaming industry makes more money than every other entertainment industry combined. Now that's a business you don't want to ignore.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #64
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Also, and I'm not being pro or against, Apple does have their new LP format up their sleeves (which I've been trying to recreate this week). It's basically just HTML with a new wrapper, but it could so easily be adopted for a 'richer' reading experience. Apple would have their LP going up against ePub (like aac vs mp3).

I'm guessing a modified version of Apple LP will become the 'book' format and that the tablet will be released on the 27th to bring them into a full sweep of digital entertainment - movies, books, music, internet, games. The publishers will love it, because it's folded into Apple's 'store' and they can control it more easily while at the same time mimicking the traditional 2-page book layout will appeal to the 'book collector' as Apple are hoping the LP will appeal to music/album collectors.

Some more information on the LP format.
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/15/insid...nes-lp-format/
You're right in that the important part of what happens in the 27th will be the iTunesLP format and whatever fancy new multitouch UI stuff Apple has developed.

As your example shows - "Play Album", "Explore Songs" - books will just be a sideshow.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #65
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
You're right in that the important part of what happens in the 27th will be the iTunesLP format and whatever fancy new multitouch UI stuff Apple has developed.

As your example shows - "Play Album", "Explore Songs" - books will just be a sideshow.
I'm not so sure. Kotaku being invited points toward something far more interactive and game-related than music or ebooks.

EDIT: There's also speculation they're unveiling a 'photoshop alternative', because of the colourful painted imagery in the announcement literature.

Last edited by Moejoe; 01-19-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #66
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
No. It's possible to read ebooks on loads of devices that aren't covered with a specific forum.

I used to read books on my Palm T3 - where's its forum?

The Apple Tablet either belongs in the iPhone forum (since the iTunesLP format will inevitably bring its own host of issues that are unique to Apple devices and it's just going to be an upsized iPod Touch anyway), or here with the rest of the non-specific devices.
interesting point about teh iTunes LP forum would possibly work well for Magazines but I dont see it being preffered for ebooks. theres always a kindle app or stanza to download for ebooks anyway.

I think actually the iphone/touch etc probably have access to more books and formats than any other reader.

weird that Apple provide the most open device for reading Ebooks.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #67
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
While enthusiasm for the potential Apple tablet/slate/pad may overwhelm discourse in some (and there is no harm in becoming excited about new products - gadgets are fun, and anticipation of a new gadget can also be fun), and criticising Apple or their marketing strategies is certainly a reasonable path of discussion, to broadly insult people who like Apple's (or [insert company name]'s) products or enthuse about their products, or potential products, is simply impolite, ad hominem, and strictly inappropriate according to both the Guidelines of MR, and explicit statement made by moderators at MR (and made specifically related to Apple commentary). It adds nothing to any discussion, and detracts significantly from the otherwise polite environment of MR.

Personally, I see no need to "reserve" anything, seeing as there is no probability of squatting taking place. If it comes, if it makes itself popular as an ebook device, should enough people desire it, I'm sure the MR higher-ups will look at creating such a forum, or elaborating on the existing Apple sub-forum, and no-one will be any the worse off for it, what with the ability to ignore entire forums being available.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #68
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
I'm not so sure. Kotaku being invited points toward something far more interactive and game-related than music or ebooks.
I think its safe to say that games will be playable on any iSlate, and of course Kotaku are going to be there the Apple mobile devices are the second biggest selling portable games playing device.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #69
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I think its safe to say that games will be playable on any iSlate, and of course Kotaku are going to be there the Apple mobile devices are the second biggest selling portable games playing device.
But, and unless I'm getting this wrong, isn't this the first time Kotaku have been formerly invited to one of these events? In any case, whatever anyone thinks of Apple, they sure know how to get some buzz going before an event
Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #70
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
4 pages about whether or not put Slate on a pedestal before we know anything about it (including its future existence)? The definition of something like that is: religion (as belief in the unkown). And Jobs is thy prophet... I start to reckon why Jesus called the followers sheep.
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #71
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by worxland View Post
4 pages about whether or not put Slate on a pedestal before we know anything about it (including its future existence)? The definition of something like that is: religion (as belief in the unkown). And Jobs is thy prophet... I start to reckon why Jesus called the followers sheep.
Because they all wore fluffy coats, of course
Old 01-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #72
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
But, and unless I'm getting this wrong, isn't this the first time Kotaku have been formerly invited to one of these events? In any case, whatever anyone thinks of Apple, they sure know how to get some buzz going before an event
My take on that is that when the iPhone was launched games were an extra and certainly not the primary use for the device, but have turned out to not only sell devices but sell lots of games. and like mentioned earlier games are now big money.

I think having recognised this Apple will put much more emphasis on this device as a games machine(much like they did once they realised the potential with the 2nd gen of iphones and touches).

People talk about the iphone not being revolutionary but at the moment its the only device that can be a Phone, Internet browser, MP3 player and games machine(with actual mobile games as only seen on say a PSP or DS) ither phones do some of those and some of them better! but no one else does all of them. games are the big difference for many.

I expect that to be a big difference for the iSlate too.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #73
darius
darius began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
My take on that is that when the iPhone was launched games were an extra and certainly not the primary use for the device, but have turned out to not only sell devices but sell lots of games. and like mentioned earlier games are now big money.

I think having recognised this Apple will put much more emphasis on this device as a games machine(much like they did once they realised the potential with the 2nd gen of iphones and touches).

People talk about the iphone not being revolutionary but at the moment its the only device that can be a Phone, Internet browser, MP3 player and games machine(with actual mobile games as only seen on say a PSP or DS) ither phones do some of those and some of them better! but no one else does all of them. games are the big difference for many.

I expect that to be a big difference for the iSlate too.
When the iPhone was launched there were no games available on it, only from Cydia. The appstore is only just 18 months old, though it seems like a lifetime with the quantity of apps available. 18 months and $4 billion later, it seems hard to imagine an iPhone without an appstore. But originally iPhone users were happy playing with mobile videos, youtube, mobile internet, and messing with album art. It was at the time still miles better than any media device you could think of.

Kokatu's attendance doesn't mean it will be any more focus on gaming than the iPhone. Which is already a great deal. But for sure things will look great with a powervr or tegra 2 chip on a 10" screen. What's not to like?!
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #74
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Quote:
I don't own a smartphone but I believe there are Nokia AND HTC smartphones that do all of that.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #75
charleski
Wizard

Quote:
But, and unless I'm getting this wrong, isn't this the first time Kotaku have been formerly invited to one of these events?
I'm sure apple hopes to make a load of money selling games for the iSlate through its App Store.

Games, apps, music and video with extra ITLP shinies will all generate higher volumes and more profit for Apple than books. As far as Apple is concerned, eBooks will just be a checkbox they can tick.