Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #61
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
For example George rr martins Game of thrones series while very interesting has far too many sex /rape scenes and incest content in it for me to ever get into it, i tried but then every 25 pages or so was a nother rape/sexincest scene it felt like.
I'm sorry, but this is objectively untrue. There are references to sex, but very few explicit sex scenes, and I can't think of a single "on-screen" rape I would describe as explicit. Please feel free to cite examples to prove me wrong.

The incest storyline is also a key part of the story, and the audience is supposed to find it unpleasant. I can only think of one explicit sex scene in the POV of the two characters engaged in that relationship.

Martin's world isn't pretty. It's not supposed to be. That doesn't mean that either the sex or the violence (which far exceeds the sex) is gratuitous, prurient or unnecessary to the story.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #62
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
If you've never been in the military, it's perhaps difficult to relate to the group dynamics. Yes, it is possible to avoid ever using profanity in the company of your peers, but you do so at the risk of being ostracized as 'different.' This varies tremendously, of course. A combat platoon is light years away from command officers who may be college graduates or have PhDs. You avoid a lot of problems if you 'fit in,' and it's that flavor that many authors use to paint their novels. It is what it is, and I can assure you I never heard a drill sergeant say "shuckey darn" or "oops" or "gee whiz." It is then easy to become deaf to common terminology which no longer offends you but which may offend your civilian acquaintances.

There are many sources of book reviews on the internet today which can alert sensitive readers to 'real world' language that they may wish to avoid.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert