Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #286
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Good luck 5 years from now finding a device that is just an eBook reader....
you will. the bargain bin at best buy..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #287
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Hmmm. I can read electronic books on my iPad so it seems to function as an ereader.
Actually, it could run eReader. But that app has not be updated for the iPad and I don't think it ever will.

I can read a book on a digital photo frame by making images of a book. But that still doesn't make it a reader. I can read eBook using my desktop computer. Its still not a reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #288
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it could run eReader. But that app has not be updated for the iPad and I don't think it ever will.

I can read a book on a digital photo frame by making images of a book. But that still doesn't make it a reader. I can read eBook using my desktop computer. Its still not a reader.
I hope that if you ever refer to xeroxing or kleenex or linoleum or a trampoline or aspirin that you are ONLY referring to the properly trademarked brand names of those products. And I'm sure you know better than to refer to electronic messages as e-mail - a term that was trademarked by CompuServe and should never be used in a generic fashion.

Life is hard for the literally-minded.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #289
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post

Life is hard for the literally-minded.
Yes it is.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #290
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Something that I learned long ago is the it can be extremely difficult to define something. We use our word symbols to name objects, but often they collapse under even a little scrutiny. Now in our electronic age, the same thing is true of our devices. Used to be a TV was, well, a TV. Today it may be a TV, a movie viewer, a picture viewer, a video game monitor, a computer monitor............
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #291
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
oh it functions as one, and a word processor, an email client, a web browser. as I've said, i'd call it a media tablet long before I'd call it an ereader.
So, should we vote for getting rid of the iPad section on mobileread, since this is an ereader forum...?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #292
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
So, should we vote for getting rid of the iPad section on mobileread, since this is an ereader forum...?
True, except.... what is an eBook reader? Is Kindle a eBook reader? If so, than an eBook reader is defined as a portable electron device that plays MP3 music, has internet connectivity, plays some games and has a physical keyboard......

Perhaps it would be better to call the forums here at MR something like .... forums for portable electronic devices that can be used to view the content of what is commonly called eBooks......
Old 06-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #293
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
if you want to lead the campaign for it, go right ahead. that's your call.

better ban the kindle too.. oh.. and the nook.. hmm. my 600 played mp3 files.. dirty, filthy thing.. guess you won't be getting any forums for those android tablets you champion.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #294
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Wait, there is an iPad section here?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #295
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
if you want to lead the campaign for it, go right ahead. that's your call.

better ban the kindle too.. oh.. and the nook.. hmm. my 600 played mp3 files.. dirty, filthy thing.. guess you won't be getting any forums for those android tablets you champion.
Well, it's mobile read forums and I use my Sony or my iPad to read when I'm, ahem, mobile.

Enough said!

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #296
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Wait, there is an iPad section here?
There should be!
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #297
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And, all joking aside...of the 20-some device forums on Mobileread-how many of the manufacturers/products have their own dedicated eBook store?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #298
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
And, all joking aside...of the 20-some device forums on Mobileread-how many of the manufacturers/products have their own dedicated eBook store?
Let see... Sony, Kindle, Nook, Asktak, txtr, iRex, eBookwise, oh and the iPad thingy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #299
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Let see... Sony, Kindle, Nook, Asktak, txtr, iRex, eBookwise, oh and the iPad thingy.

BOb
Wow, is that all? I thought all of them did.... but I have only had experience with Kindle, Sony and iPad........

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 06-17-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #300
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
So now we know which other forums to kick off