Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Library for Kobo (and other ereader) users in Australia

I signed up yesterday with the Yarra Plenty Regional Library Service, free, even though I don't live in their catchment area. An extremely pleasant and easy experience, and now I can borrow ebooks for my Kobo.

Only difficulty (minor overall) was that I had to attend a library in person to show my identification, but that is a one off and worth the trip.

An option for people living in Victoria, Australia....
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

Hi SageTracey,

Thanks for that info, just wondering if anyone has a list of libraries around Australia which offer a similar service.
The couple of local libraries that I belong to do not offer ebooks yet.

Cheers
Greenmantle
Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Greenmantle, check out this thread. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54676

Unfortanetly none in Adelaide or I would have joined. I did find one library, its connected with Fictionwise, but its Mobipocket files only.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
SageTracey
Enthusiast

Hi Greenmantle,

The only ones I could find were Yarra Plenty and Brisbane - in fact, they offer a shared service via Overdrive. Melbourne City only has audio books in its elibrary service. I also contacted my local library service, West Gippsland Regional Library Service, and found that they have plans to introduce an ebook service by next June.

I would encourage ebook users to lobby their local libraries to provide an ebook service. It's the only way they will know about the demand and make the necessary investment to support us.

cheers

SageTracey
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
The only other one I have found is http://www.libwise.com/ozebooks/

Its a mobi reader place though, I havent looked too hard at it though.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Not bad, thanks. I might give that a good look at.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

Thanks for the info everyone.
I looked up the link that Rougefan99 gave to the Overdrive site and found that the nearest library to me was the Hills Shire one which is about a 25 min drive.
The only problem with joining is you have to physically go there and show ID so I don't know if they can cater for interstate or overseas people.
Anyway, I have now joined and borrowed my first ebook via ADE which seemed to have a couple of glitches but eventually worked ok.
They seem to have a fair range of ebooks but only one copy available so you may have to get on the waitlist for a book you want.

I contacted the other two local libraries which I am a member and they both said that they were "thinking" about ebooks but were not yet going ahead with them.

Cheers

Last edited by Greenmantle; 08-06-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: add comment
Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Mimzy
Mimzy began at the beginning.

Almas wrote up a short description on how he signed up for the Free Library of Philly while staying in the comfort of Oz. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...61#post1042461

It does cost $15 US a year to access the library though.
Mimzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
karenaH
karenaH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Yarra Plenty Regional Library

Hi all,

I live in Perth, Western Australia and I joined the Yarra Plenty Regional Library (in Victoria). I emailed them first and said where I lived and that I only wanted to download ebooks and they replied to my email and said that I just needed to fill out the online membership form which I did and they then sent me a card within a few days and I have been able to download ebooks from their library! It's a fantastic service and very good of them to let me join without fronting up to the library to show my id.

Karena

Last edited by karenaH; 08-21-2010 at 08:34 AM.
karenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
SageTracey
Enthusiast

Sounds like Yarra Plenty are getting even better with their service if they are now letting you join without having to attend to show your ID!

The only hiccup I have found with them so far is that most of the ebooks that I have borrowed have only had a seven day borrowing period.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
karenaH
karenaH began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Lending periods at Yarra Plenty Regional Library

In case you weren't aware... you can set your own personal lending period for borrowed books:

Under the 'My Accounts' tab there is an option to set your personal lending period:

(You can set personalized default lending period(s) on a format-by-format basis at the 'Lending Periods' page. To set your lending period(s), click the desired number of days next to the format. Click 'Done' once you have selected your desired lending period(s). Click here to specify your personal lending period(s).

Additionally, you can select a lending period on a title-by-title basis. In the course of checking out any title, you will have the option to select a different lending period for that specific title.)

I've taken out quite a few books and I set my lending period on a 'title by title basis' at the 'confirm check out page' using the drop down box where you can choose 7, 14 or 21 days. This choice is not available when you originally choose the item.

I am not aware of any item being restricted to 7 days only.

Hope this helps and apologies if you already know this!

Karena
karenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I'm from New Zealand and have just received an email from Yarra Plenty welcoming me to the library. Now I'm just waiting for my card to arrive - and hoping that I get the same service as Karenah and don't have to visit in person! Thanks for the tip Karenah
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Got my card. Just need to contact them to provide ID for card activation.

Or do I?

Last edited by sabredog; 09-01-2010 at 10:12 PM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #14
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Got my card today - although the letter said that I had to turn up in person and validate my card, I tried logging in and it worked. I have borrowed my first book. Now waiting for kobo to sort out pdf reflow as lots of the books I want are pdf and they look dreadful on the kobo.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
Grahameh
Grahameh began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
ACT library service has an on-line borrowing service but they are not in EPub format.
Grahameh is offline   Reply With Quote