Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
e-book availability -comics

When I was a kid I used to read Peanuts cartoons in paper back form. Those book formats would be great on Kobo even as PDF files. But, nowa days I only ever see this type of cartoons in very large book formats.

Have any of you seen comic collections in paper back format available in ebook format?

My kid's manga all seems to be available like this. She wants to be able to buy Manga online and read it on my Kobo. (But, I think that if that happens I will have to get a second Kobo.)
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
CoopersTroopers
CoopersTroopers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Kobo directly mentions reading manga on the device in their product pages. Only manga I've been able to find for it those is a few girly titles on the Toronto Public Library site. Would be interested to find more...
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersTroopers View Post
Kobo directly mentions reading manga on the device in their product pages. Only manga I've been able to find for it those is a few girly titles on the Toronto Public Library site. Would be interested to find more...
I'll check it out. Girly Manga is good for my kid. She is 14.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
I've seen the complete collection in cbr format, not sure if the kobo can read these though

http://www.ioffer.com/c/Comics-10034...d.....I've never bought here and I've no idea if he's legit.
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkarl View Post
I've seen the complete collection in cbr format, not sure if the kobo can read these though

http://www.ioffer.com/c/Comics-10034...d.....I've never bought here and I've no idea if he's legit.
broken link?

"Sorry, no items were found containing: comic dvd.....I've"
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersTroopers View Post
... Only manga I've been able to find for it those is a few girly titles on the Toronto Public Library site. ...
Got a link? I did not see anything at all (manga wise) at the TPL web site.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Dinodoc
Dinodoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
http://www.ioffer.com/c/Comics-1003461/comic+dvd I think this is the lin the poster was trying for, they inadvertantly got the ....I've linked in which is why it didn't work. I removed that from the end of the link and it worked fine.
Dinodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
oops, guess I should have checked the link after posting....my bad.....but yeah, there's stuff like that all over
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
CoopersTroopers
CoopersTroopers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Got a link? I did not see anything at all (manga wise) at the TPL web site.
You have to go to TPL's OverDrive site if you hadn't already figured that out. OverDrive is horribly organized and difficult to wade through however. I stumbled upon them when one of the books was listed in a new collection list, but I can't find it there anymore.

There isn't a ton on there, but easiest way to get to what I know is there is to do an Advanced Search. Filter by:
  • Format = "Adobe PDF eBook"
  • Publisher = "TOKYOPOP"
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There are also tools to convert CBR and CBZ files to ePUB and PDF. Check the wiki.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 05-19-2010 at 08:33 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I could be wrong, but I think the discs offered on iOffer are just compilations of pirated material from the darknet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the discs offered on iOffer are just compilations of pirated material from the darknet.
Hmm, good point. Comics are under the same copyright laws as books. If they are copyrighted then it would be illegal to use them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
techie42
Zealot

All that aside, I have attempted to put several different comics onto my kobo and they all seem to have size issuses with the Kobo screen. Sigh.

Has anyone tried converting a Kindal comic ebook to epub?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
techie42
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
All that aside, I have attempted to put several different comics onto my kobo and they all seem to have size issuses with the Kobo screen. Sigh.

Has anyone tried converting a Kindal comic ebook to epub?
Maybe if the Kobo could display an epub in landscap mode?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
ViralMage
ViralMage began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
This won't help with screen size issues, but calibre can convert cbz to ePub, and in my experience it's done a very nice job. The 50MB cbz file became a 13MB ePub, probably because of the change to greyscale and shrinking the pictures to fit the screen. Nothing's cut off, and it looks great. As was mentioned, though, comic books (as opposed to manga) are usually in a larger format, and I imagine the writing would be difficult to read. You might as well give it a shot though. I imagine I will eventually.
ViralMage is offline   Reply With Quote