Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony reveals pricing for its Portable Reader PRS-500

The Sony Portable Reader PRS-500 has dominated our headlines lately and made everyone want to kick out some cash for one of the most promising e-book reader devices. Unfortunately it won't hit the market before this coming spring. Upon visiting its product page today, I noticed that Sony has revealed the final pricing for the reader: USD $349.99. That's exactly between the price range of $300-400 which was cited earlier by various sources.

If you like Sony to notify you by e-mail when the Portable Reader becomes available, click here.

Related:
Gizmodo hands on with the Sony Reader
Will Sony help the e-book market to grow?
Sony's new e-book reader officially announced
Sony Reader vs. iRex Iliad e-book reader
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Brian already posted about the price, but it's good to have it mentioned explicitly.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
$350 for a low res (relatively-speaking), proprietary device?

For less, I can get a Palm Tx that can read standard format eBooks (conversion is also needed - but using freely available utilities) plus do many more things.

I'm not seeing good value here.

Add native support for HTML, text and RTF (or give me an open-source program to convert to the proprietary format) and I'll consider it. But as it stands... close, but no cigar.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ahh I didn't catch the update on Brian's post. $350 isn't a bargain, but on the other hand, with a 6-inch E Ink screen it'll make a better e-book reader than my Axim PDA with its 3.7-inch LCD screen. It's about time I give my eyes a treat.

I share my disappointment with rlauzon about Sony's decision to go, yet again, for its own format (BBeB), which - and that's the plus side - Sony is said to open specs for in near future.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Ahh I didn't catch the update on Brian's post. $350 isn't a bargain, but on the other hand, with a 6-inch E Ink screen it'll make a better e-book reader than my Axim PDA with its 3.7-inch LCD screen. It's about time I give my eyes a treat.
I'll agree with you on that. The screen would be much better to read eBooks with, but that one thing alone isn't worth $350 (at least to me).

Now when the competition comes out, we'll see how much of a value Sony's device is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
I share my disappointment with rlauzon about Sony's decision to go, yet again, for its own format (BBeB), which - and that's the plus side - Sony is said to open specs for in near future.
I'll believe it when I see it. Sony has always been a "proprietary" company (as opposed to an open company) and - especially seeing how they are pushing their proprietary eBook format - I don't see that changing any time soon.
Advert
Old 01-09-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
The price is not unreasonable: it is a new product for early adopters who wants to be regarded at the forefront of technology (though realiticly, the Librie owners beat them to it). They should pay for this pleasure of having a relatively low-res, monochrome display and all the early bugs.

But it certainly looks like a very nice product and is at one level very tempting; however, I have long ago decided that it is more important to me that my ebookreader is pocketable than that it has a perfect screen.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Tabletpcreviewspot.com has some Sony Reader 'pr0n' here. Don't worry, they're G-Rated .

Even though it can only display 4 grayscale images, based on the photos it does an excellent job.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Looking good! Certainly considering it's just 2bpp. Seems kind of sepia-toned, but that could be due to the lighting.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
Jorgen
Connoisseur

>"Even though it can only display 4 grayscale images, based on the photos it does an excellent job."

No doubt, but although we generally don't read many illustated books, we won't be happy until we get a 32 bit colour display. My guess is that this will come within a year or so.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen
...we won't be happy until we get a 32 bit colour display.
You're so right! But who are we kidding? Even that won't be enough... we'll always want more, brighter, faster, longer-lasting, sturdier, etc etc!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me as a scholar the crucial question is search capabilities. With Plucker, I can search through a 4.5mb compressed file like Aquinas's Summa in 50 seconds on my Clie NX. It's not great but its sufficient for many purposes. I wonder how good the search capabilities here are (and what they do to battery life).
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #12
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
$350 for a low res (relatively-speaking), proprietary device?

For less, I can get a Palm Tx that can read standard format eBooks (conversion is also needed - but using freely available utilities) plus do many more things.

I'm not seeing good value here.

Add native support for HTML, text and RTF (or give me an open-source program to convert to the proprietary format) and I'll consider it. But as it stands... close, but no cigar.
I think the public at large will view the price negatively as well; I can buy a quality hardcover for $25 or so, or I can buy a $350 device I can use to purchase a $25 e-book to read on. The value proposition is just not there.

This spring we'll see just how good the marketing is.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #13
Jorgen
Connoisseur

"or I can buy a $350 device I can use to purchase a $25 e-book to read on"

That is not the worst: you buy the device for $350 and pay $25 per book and what do you get? You get a book you can only read as long as you own a Sony Reader!! If you sell the Sony and buy, say, an iRex, that's it.

Jorgen
Old 01-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #14
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Jorgen is probably right. Unless Sony opens up its BBeB e-book format, readers are stuck to a single reader, and this cannot be an incentive for buying e-books in the future.

Oh, and Slashdot picked up the reader just today:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...67251&from=rss
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen
That is not the worst: you buy the device for $350 and pay $25 per book and what do you get? You get a book you can only read as long as you own a Sony Reader!! If you sell the Sony and buy, say, an iRex, that's it.
Actually, it's worse than that. If you buy a DRMed eBook, you pay $25 for a book that you can't resell when you are no longer interested in - as opposed to the non-DRM paper book you can buy for $25 and then re-sell on Amazon.com for about half of what you paid for it.