Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
morphius
morphius began at the beginning.

Device: (Sony PRS-T1)
Browse HTML from filesystem?

Does anyone know if you can save an html file (or better, a collection of interlinked files) to the PRS-T1's file system/SD card and then view them with the browser? The Kindle can apparently do this using a "file://" prefix in the url as you would on a computer. If possible, where should the files be saved, and what would need to be typed into the url bar?

I'm considering a purchase of a T1 because of its flexible browser and pdf capabilities, but this feature would be important to me.

Many thanks!
morphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
PDF capabilities? For the T1? Sorry, you will be very disappointed if you expect decent performance when you change the font in PDFs. I find that changing fonts results in *large* slowdown in page turns (4 seconds not unusual). Not changing the fonts will result in eyestrain, to say the least.
Now there is a new firmware due out soon, but I don't think that Sony ever acknowledged this issue, so I don't expect much.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
morphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
PDF capabilities? For the T1? Sorry, you will be very disappointed if you expect decent performance when you change the font in PDFs. I find that changing fonts results in *large* slowdown in page turns (4 seconds not unusual). Not changing the fonts will result in eyestrain, to say the least.
Now there is a new firmware due out soon, but I don't think that Sony ever acknowledged this issue, so I don't expect much.
Thanks for your concern but the two column, three column, and landscape modes seem like real positives over what the kindle and nook offer. I'm sure a large format e-reader would be better for pdf, but they are *large* and expensive. The landscape mode for the browser also seems like a useful feature.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius View Post
Thanks for your concern but the two column, three column, and landscape modes seem like real positives over what the kindle and nook offer. I'm sure a large format e-reader would be better for pdf, but they are *large* and expensive. The landscape mode for the browser also seems like a useful feature.
How about finding a refurbished PRS-950, which is 7 inches, and has far better PDF support? And as far as the Kindle goes, you're right, anything is better than that for PDFs...
Just a thought.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius View Post
Does anyone know if you can save an html file (or better, a collection of interlinked files) to the PRS-T1's file system/SD card and then view them with the browser? The Kindle can apparently do this using a "file://" prefix in the url as you would on a computer. If possible, where should the files be saved, and what would need to be typed into the url bar?

I'm considering a purchase of a T1 because of its flexible browser and pdf capabilities, but this feature would be important to me.

Many thanks!
Concerning local html files (I tried a folder containing files of a whole webpage):
On a rooted device, some of the alternative reading apps do open html files, but it looks really bad and you can't follow links.
The built-in browser unfortunately refuses to open local files files. I managed to install Dolphin browser mini and you can open local html files, but scrolling is near to impossible, due to constant flashing.
So, theoretically, yes, you can open local html files, but it's no joy.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
morphius

Vishcompany, sincere thanks for your help and time! I guess I have to think about this purchase a little more.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #7
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
If reading if html really is an important feature, I would not yet recommend this device. Maybe there will be a tweak one day, for the built-in web browser works great. Unfortunately it really is tailored to http -and nothing else- at the moment.
Another possibility woudl be a reading app, which handles html in a better. Hacking has just started, actually. It's all very fresh and new.

Last edited by vishcompany; 12-05-2011 at 02:34 AM. Reason: typo
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote