Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
is the enhanced ebook of 11/22/63 worth the $$?

Put the hard cover 11/22/63 on hold at the library, but while I am waiting, I remember the heft of SKing books. So I am looking at the ebook. I see the regular ebook is $16.99 and the enhanced ebook is $18.99. I will be getting my Kindle fire next week, but if all the enhancement is videos from 1963 (and I remember those from first hand knowledge), is it really worth it? Does anyone have the enhanced ebook, and do you think it is worth the extra $$?

Thanks, Debra

Durrently reading: Liar's Poker, from Kindle Library
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I want to know if the book, enhancement or no, is worth getting. I used to love everything by King, but he kind of went off the rail a little bit for me. Really enjoyed his last short collection Full Dark, No Stars (he's still a great story teller). I liked Duma Key too. His older novels are still the best for me.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
It's 2 bucks. If you're willing to spend 17 bucks for an ebook, why not spring for the little extra?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I want to know if the book, enhancement or no, is worth getting. I used to love everything by King, but he kind of went off the rail a little bit for me. Really enjoyed his last short collection Full Dark, No Stars (he's still a great story teller). I liked Duma Key too. His older novels are still the best for me.
I loved 11/22/63. I like his older works, mostly, and haven't read much of his recent stuff, but I thought this one was great. Get a sample-see if you like it! I am trying a sample of Under the Dome now, but it's not really pulling me in so far..
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #5
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Yes, the video is worth $2, and yes, the book is awesome.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I loved 11/22/63. I like his older works, mostly, and haven't read much of his recent stuff, but I thought this one was great. Get a sample-see if you like it! I am trying a sample of Under the Dome now, but it's not really pulling me in so far..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Yes, the video is worth $2, and yes, the book is awesome.
Does the book have a lot of violence? I'm a real wuss when it comes to reading horror/violence and have avoided Stephen King books, but the subject matter of this one is of great interest to me.

I read an interview where Stephen King said that he was writing historical fiction to attract more of "The Help" crowd, but at the same time, the interviewer stated: "For all its historical heft, "11/22/63" bears many of Mr. King's trademarks. It's ultra-violent and suspenseful, with supernatural overtones".

I'm a bit concerned about the "ultra-violent" comment.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...980143566.html
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Does the book have a lot of violence? I'm a real wuss when it comes to reading horror/violence and have avoided Stephen King books, but the subject matter of this one is of great interest to me.

I read an interview where Stephen King said that he was writing historical fiction to attract more of "The Help" crowd, but at the same time, the interviewer stated: "For all its historical heft, "11/22/63" bears many of Mr. King's trademarks. It's ultra-violent and suspenseful, with supernatural overtones".

I'm a bit concerned about the "ultra-violent" comment.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...980143566.html
Thanks for the WSJ link - K for you!

I don't like King's really violent books. What I really like about his earlier books is the characterization- I could really believe I was back in the time of Christine.

I saw the book at Costco yesterday, for $18 and change. And I remembered why I don't like King pbooks - it is huge! I think I will go for the enhanced ebook as the first purchase on the Kindle Fire!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Enhanced books work on my Nook Color but I enjoy reading on my Nook Touch more because of its eInk screen and lighter weight, so I planned to buy the standard text version.

After seeing this thread I started wondering how much video there is. What is it anyway? I hate watching the moment the President was assassinated and Oswald's murder only made it worse. I hope someone will let us know what the Enhanced Edition adds and what you think after reading it. (None of the user reviews on B&N go into it yet--the usual reviews written before the book was actually published so naturally none of them could address the Enhanced Edition.)
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The video is a 13 minute clip, narrated by Stephen King. It uses CBS News archival footage from back then to set the mood of the book. It shows some speeches from JFK, as well as some stuff about Oswald. And yes, they do show Oswald getting shot. I do not believe they show JFK getting shot. If they do, it's a very broad view and not anything graphic. The video is well done, and I feel it was worth the $2 extra. I will watch again once I'm done with the book.

As for violence, yes, there are some VERY violent scenes. Mainly having to do with grisly details of assaults and murders. I'm almost 60% done, and I wouldn't classify anything I have seen so far as "horror". Definitely violent in spots though.

Hope this helps some of you.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Thanks for the WSJ link - K for you!
Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post

As for violence, yes, there are some VERY violent scenes. Mainly having to do with grisly details of assaults and murders. I'm almost 60% done, and I wouldn't classify anything I have seen so far as "horror". Definitely violent in spots though.

Hope this helps some of you.
Yes, this of great help - thanks. Unfortunately, I'll have to skip this one.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If someone wants to see JFK getting shot, you can see it in the movie "JFK" with Kevin Costner. The famous "back and to the left" scene.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
This is probably a stupid question, but is it safe to assume that the file for the book can be saved on a reader, but the file for the video is saved (and viewed) on a computer? I'm certainly willing to pay $2 more for a video, but not if it means I can't use the epub file on a standard e-reader.

I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I wanted to verify.

Thanks in advance.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
Quake1028
Guru

Good question, Steve, and one I'm not sure of the answer to. What I can do is transfer the a/v file to my fiancee's Kindle 3, and see if it will just open the book portion. I will let you know later tonight.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
Quake1028
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but is it safe to assume that the file for the book can be saved on a reader, but the file for the video is saved (and viewed) on a computer? I'm certainly willing to pay $2 more for a video, but not if it means I can't use the epub file on a standard e-reader.

I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I wanted to verify.

Thanks in advance.

SteveK
Sent the a/v file to my fiancee's K3 last night. Loaded up with no problems at all. You should be in the clear .
Old 11-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
AJones
AJones is kind to children and small, furry animalsAJones is kind to children and small, furry animalsAJones is kind to children and small, furry animalsAJones is kind to children and small, furry animalsAJones is kind to children and small, furry animalsAJones is kind to children and small, furry animalsAJones is kind to children and small, furry animalsAJones is kind to children and small, furry animalsAJones is kind to children and small, furry animalsAJones is kind to children and small, furry animalsAJones is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Fire
11/22/63 mis-FIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Put the hard cover 11/22/63 on hold at the library, but while I am waiting, I remember the heft of SKing books. So I am looking at the ebook. I see the regular ebook is $16.99 and the enhanced ebook is $18.99. I will be getting my Kindle fire next week, but if all the enhancement is videos from 1963 (and I remember those from first hand knowledge), is it really worth it? Does anyone have the enhanced ebook, and do you think it is worth the extra $$?

Thanks, Debra

Durrently reading: Liar's Poker, from Kindle Library
Debra,
According to Pratyush (Amazon.com help via CHAT), 11/22/63 is NOT available for the Kindle Fire. I purchased the Kindle edition last week along with the K-Fire, only to be disappointed today when I tried to download the book from the cloud. CHAT help advised that even though it was a KINDLE edition, it was not available for the K-Fire. Go figure! Aaron
AJones is offline   Reply With Quote