Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Keili
Keili began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Kindle 4 B NT

Hi, I'm thinking of buying the new Kindle 4 B NT

So my question is to people who have actually purchased it, is it good? Or is it as problematic as people are claiming it to be?
Keili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keili View Post

So my question is to people who have actually purchased it, is it good? Or is it as problematic as people are claiming it to be?
This model is being discussed in a lot of threads currenty, so why open yet another one? If you had looked through the recent threads, you would have found this right on the second page: My New $69 K4 is here!

Short answer: everybody here seems to be happy with it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:

What people? What claims? Please provide links.

Most of the reviews in this forum have showered it with praise, IMHO. Just look for posts about this model (often called a "K4B") in several other threads in this forum.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-25-2012 at 02:28 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

It's a wonderful little reader. No Problems I know of?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've seen no reports of it being "problematic". Can you provide some links to the claims that you're referring to, please?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have the old K4 and it's great, especially for that money. I haven't heard about any problems from anyone.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Ditto to all of the above. What problems?? I have the silver/grey one & it's perfect.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the only other thread Keili has posted to:
Quote:
I have another question! I've been meaning to buy the Kindle Keyboard (this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wirel.../dp/B002LVUWFE), but read all the reviews about the broken screen thing. So I'm wondering, is it true what the people are saying?
He does not provide any references to "what the people are saying" in that thread either.

Again: What people? What are they saying about the "broken screen thing"? Please provide links to such unsubstantiated claims.

In the other thread, members replied with reassurances that screen breakage was not that common -- certainly no more than other ebook readers. Then he forked his other thread to THIS new thread to fork his same discussion with similar ambiguous FUD question. What's up with that?

Perhaps when a thread falls off page one of the forum, it is time to start a new version of that "missing" thread?

We do not need to ask (and answer) the same question in a separate thread for each model he MIGHT buy. The answers in the other thread already applied to all kindle eink models.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-26-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
From the only other thread Keili has posted to:He does not provide any references to "what the people are saying" in that thread either.

Again: What people? What are they saying about the "broken screen thing"? Please provide links to such unsubstantiated claims.

In the other thread, members replied with reassurances that screen breakage was not that common, certainly no more than other ebook readers. Then he created THIS new thread to continue his same discussion with similar ambiguous FUD question. What's up with that?
After checking out the other posts by the OP. It seems they are
shopping around for eReader since May. They probably read some things at the official forums. There is so much misinformation there who knows what they may have read.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
shopping around for eReader since May. They probably read some things at the official forums. There is so much misinformation there who knows what they may have read.
It would be helpful to us if Keili would post a link to the amazon forum FUD posts that so scared him. He is not answering our questions here.

Why be so cautious anyway? I just added almost 60 more eink kindles to my "collection". Some of them are even coming with pre-broken screens! Sadly, somebody ELSE got the DX models. The winner's shipping cost to Romania for those 24 DX kindles is $120 (two flat-rate boxes). I offered to pay $75 of his shipping cost if he adds one of the 16 good ones to my pile before it ships. I am waiting to hear back from him. I need a DXG to test my new eink animation code.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-26-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It would be helpful to us if Keili would post a link to the amazon forum FUD posts that so scared him. He is not answering our questions here.

Why be so cautious anyway?
They live in Asia so maybe they want something that doesn't have to be returned. I wouldn't expect an answer soon the last thread was from May. Keep in mind English is probably not the OP first language.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Keili
Keili began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
He does not provide any references to "what the people are saying" in that thread either.
I'm sorry for not clarifying where I get those so called "horror stories" from. I assumed it was a common enough problem and there was no need to specify a source.

Quote:
It's mostly from Amazon's customer feedback.

Quote:
In the other thread, members replied with reassurances that screen breakage was not that common -- certainly no more than other ebook readers. Then he forked his other thread to THIS new thread to fork his same discussion with similar ambiguous FUD question. What's up with that?
I'm really sorry, but I live in Asia and claiming warranty isn't as easy or straightforward. Since this was a new model, I just wanted to know how it was like for people before deciding to buy it.

Quote:
Perhaps when a thread falls off page one of the forum, it is time to start a new version of that "missing" thread?
Again, that wasn't my intention. Thanks to what people said in that thread, I did buy the Sony PRS-T1 for myself. This one is for a friend.

Quote:
We do not need to ask (and answer) the same question in a separate thread for each model he MIGHT buy. The answers in the other thread already applied to all kindle eink models.
But this is a new model, barely a month old. Yes, I'm aware it's an upgrade but it is still new. If I had decided to buy some other Kindle model, I wouldn't have created this thread.

Quote:
I did create a thread in May and thanks to the recommendation of several people, I bought a Sony PRS-T1. I'm thinking of buying the Kindle 4 for a friend's birthday because it's so cheap and I'm rather low on cash at the moment.

Quote:
They live in Asia so maybe they want something that doesn't have to be returned. I wouldn't expect an answer soon the last thread was from May. Keep in mind English is probably not the OP first language.
Exactly! Thank you for understanding.
Keili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

I did create a thread in May and thanks to the recommendation of several people, I bought a Sony PRS-T1. I'm thinking of buying the Kindle 4 for a friend's birthday because it's so cheap and I'm rather low on cash at the moment.

Exactly! Thank you for understanding.
The K4B will make an excellent gift for your friend. It's a wonderful reader. It's small like a pocket reader but it has a normal size screen. It's has really nice contrast and I have no problems with the one I own. Keep in mine that the Amazon forums contains alot of people who don't know half the time what they are talking about. MR is probably one of the best places to get real feedback on Kindles.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Keep in mine that the Amazon forums contains alot of people who don't know half the time what they are talking about. MR is probably one of the best places to get real feedback on Kindles.
Half?

Blossom,

You are being way too generous by a few light years, or so!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Half?

Blossom,

You are being way too generous by a few light years, or so!
Okay you got me. You're probably right.