Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
JK Rowling Announcement

There have been quite a few threads about JK Rowling writing a new book and speculation about whether the HP books will be released as eBooks.

There was a thread on the BN forums discussing a new Web site JK Rowling set up. It links to a youtube site that references an announcement Ms Rowling will make next Wednesday.

http://www.pottermore.com
http://www.youtube.com/JKRowlingAnnounces

Unless this is a false alarm the announcement should be interesting.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
While she waits to make up her mind about ebooks, I managed to - ahm - 'backup' my Potter collection with excellent ebook versions from:

(link deleted by moderator)

That's what happens when you play precious... I am sure plenty of people would have gladly paid for an ebook version - I know I would have.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-19-2011 at 01:57 AM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I hope that the Harry Potter series is finally coming to ebooks. I will buy the entire series the day they become available for my Kindle. I will not buy them in physical book form and I won't pirate them either.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I hope that the Harry Potter series is finally coming to ebooks. I will buy the entire series the day they become available for my Kindle. I will not buy them in physical book form and I won't pirate them either.
I'm in the same boat. They've already got Harry Potter on every product imaginable, I dunno what the hold up is for Ebooks
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
who'll pay more? Amazon or Apple?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I read somewhere that it's about a Harry Potter themed phone, seriously. I don't really believe that, but *shrug*.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
My first thought, with the feeble attempt at generating "buzz" through mysterious announcements, is a Harry Potter themed Segway (with about as much actual success in the end).

I might be a tad cynical.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Maybe they're going to start marketing butterbeer and firewhiskey. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #9
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Maybe they're going to start marketing butterbeer and firewhiskey. lol.
Butterbeer and firewhiskey would market themselves!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:57 AM   #10
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
My first thought, with the feeble attempt at generating "buzz" through mysterious announcements, is a Harry Potter themed Segway (with about as much actual success in the end).

I might be a tad cynical.
Not sure a Segway tie-in is such a hot idea...

Remember this?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...cdcOvQ1gCGL19A
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:19 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Do NOT post links to pirated books, or you WILL be banned.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #12
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do NOT post links to pirate books, or you WILL be banned.
Oh yeah? Free today:

http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Lost-...464957&sr=1-10

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I hope the announcement is for the long-rumoured but never confirmed Harry Potter MMO. Though I'd be happy to see legit ebook versions released, I'd be somewhat nonplussed if all this hype and wait is merely to announce those. A popular theory around the internet is that 'Pottermore' will be some sort of social networking/community based around the movies and books.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 AM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Ummm................

Gonna be boring, I know, but J.K.Rowling contributes very large amounts of her HP derived riches to medical research, child welfare, and a number of very worthwhile causes, uses her "fame" to support a number of others, and does very little shouting about it.

Something an awful lot of the "self-made" or "inherited wealthy" do not get anywhere near.

Her writing helped a lot of children find the real joy of reading - my son for one - and created almost a whole new genre of intelligent writing and simply terrific story-telling for the young of all ages, (and heart) .

Despite this, her work, her contributions to medical research etc... and she, are constantly criticised, often simply for the fact that she has been successful, or done good in some way.
If an HP phone did come out, I wouldn't buy one, but it's been a long time coming, so she can't be accused of jumping on a bandwagon too accurately - and you know at least some of the proceeds would be used for good.

She has put forward her reasons for not issuing ebooks thus far, which I can accept.
But at least I know that Ms. Rowling seems someone very happy with her success, who does a fair bit of good through it, and appears blithely unaffected by our carping, jealousy, conspiracy theories, and the like.

And having had the good fortune to have met the lady, quite outside her work, she just seems a very pleasant person.

Rant over..................
Sorry.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 AM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Oh, not quite over ..........
I appreciate it's completely an individual decision, but why admit openly to an illegal act as if congratulations and admiration were in order ?

And no, I am not a Minister of Religion............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote