Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you update the firmware of your Kobo e-reader?
Yes, I always update it as soon as possible 62 59.62%
No, I stick to the current one because "it just works" 15 14.42%
Depends on the release notes 27 25.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
Do you update the firmware of your Kobo e-reader?

Just curious to know whether people over here update the firmware of their e-reader.

Personally I'm using v3.1.1 to which I upgraded just to get the 'Mark as unread' feature. That was a gamble since I see so many people complaining here and there about the new issues brought with each new release.

Most of the time, the release notes are quite poor and do not appeal me at all (e.g., v3.3.0 which doesn't contain a single feature I'd like/need), and each release seems to create so many new issues. That's the reason I've decided to stick with my current firmware unless a very promising feature gets added, and I'd still be using v2.8 if that wasn't for that 'Mark as unread' feature.

So I'm curious to know what other people do when a new firmware is released...
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Answer #4 Yes, I let the device updates by itself when I do a sync (which may happen days or weeks after the FW release).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yes, I update even though there are features I don't care for.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
For me, "release notes" = MR discussion thread for the latest release.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm with Samhy, as it likes.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I answered No, I stick to the current one because "it just works" however "current" is several releases back. Although I did update a Glo to the most recent, to test it out. Not sure what benefit there would be to updating the rest of them. I'll make the decision after I have played with it more.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
I read the forum and then decide. I skipped 3.2.0 and I think I will skip 3.3.0. I update when
there are evident bugfixes or improvements
and
no new bugs introduced.
Those two prerequisites often are not met by Kobo.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
Thumbs up I always update firmware asap

Currently using 3.3.0 on touch and mini

Never failed to get improved performance.

Consider the forum threads with "problems" are the posts by those who experience "problems".

These are the exceptions not the general experience.

A handfull of users have issues (most caused by the irregular/bad ebooks in their libraries) or personal wish lists based on their peculiar expectations.

Dozens have problems and a few post on the forum.

For others (tens or hundreds of) thousands, it just works and gets better with every update.

Is there ever perfection and no risk while alive?

No.

2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I answered "Depends on the release notes" but as there are no release notes I follow threads in forums.
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I update as soon as the link is given here on Mobileread, just because... I'm curious and it's so easy to upgrade or downgrade with the links given here...

As a matter of fact, it's quite easy to make me happy even if the layout is messy or whatever the problem : as long as the text is displayed and readable I'm quite always happy (Doesn't mean I wouldn't have this or that feature working or bug fixed). In fact, I should say I just NEED Calibre too to be happy with my device
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I never update after finding one version that works well for me, I'm on 2.4.0.

My main issues are constant Calibre communicating with device errors under WinXP with an AMD cpu making it impossible to transfer books; taking up to 4 swipes to turn a page at least 50% of the time; and personally I hate the new tile layout that looks like a little kid designed it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I gave up on updates once I discovered Kobo was crippling the stats on side-loaded Kepubs.

A case of disadvantages outweighing advantages,

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Where's the option for 'There aren't any more updates for my Kobo Mini'?
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
But there are ...

Mark 4 Hardware updates will work on the mini

(not "official" but they work)
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I always update sometimes downloading and installing update before auto update on sync happens. Only had one update causing real problem solved with another update or roll back. I tried shelves when they were first available and no more after 1 week. Calibre is great and I should have Calibre Kobo plugin sort books to shelves.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote