Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-01-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
secasa
secasa began at the beginning.

Device: laptop
Full-text search not really full-text

I'm trying to use full-text to search for every instance of a word. I don't want just the first available, but the next and next as well.

I was wanting to know if this is already an option and I'm missing it or if it would need to be added in an update. I think that would be a great feature request.
secasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
The FTS stops after the first match in a book (Kovid mentioned it here); it's an intentional design choice I think.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-01-2022 at 04:12 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by secasa View Post
I'm trying to use full-text to search for every instance of a word. I don't want just the first available, but the next and next as well.

I was wanting to know if this is already an option and I'm missing it or if it would need to be added in an update. I think that would be a great feature request.
If you're searching EPUBs then: if you open the book in the calibre viewer from the FTS right panel (click the blue EPUB), then the search expression will be carried forward into the viewer's search tool which has next and previous buttons.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:05 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The FTS stops after the first match in a book (Kovid mentioned it here); it's an intentional design choice I think.
Ownedbycats is correct that it was an intentional design choice to prevent endless pages of results when a word is used multiple times. I prefer to find a list of books that have a word such as 'gnarlbag' and then open those books for a deeper search.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:26 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you're searching EPUBs then: if you open the book in the calibre viewer from the FTS right panel (click the blue EPUB), then the search expression will be carried forward into the viewer's search tool which has next and previous buttons.

BR
Oops - that's what I think it did in early versions, what it does in 6.6.1 is to search the EPUB for the FTS result snippet in its entirety - which it only finds once of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-02 101654.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	196914

Should have tested it before I posted.

IMO that's a regression error, I've posted a bug at launchpad ==>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1991467.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-01-2022 at 07:34 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:11 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
FTS will only find one instance per book. If you want to find all instances of a word ina book open the book in the viewer and search there.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
full text, search, word search