Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
shokkueibu
shokkueibu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Notebook replacement

Hi there,

Are there any readers capable of note taking, effectively replacing notebooks ( paper ones, not laptops) in classes. And if so, which would you recommend?

Lightweight is the only requirement, a good battery life is a plus. Also for reading PDFs it should have a large screen, right?

Thanks for your time
shokkueibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Depends on your needs --- you might be able to do this w/ a Sony PRS-600/900 --- I'm trying to do this, but I often find myself reaching for my Tablet PC instead.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
shokkueibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Depends on your needs --- you might be able to do this w/ a Sony PRS-600/900 --- I'm trying to do this, but I often find myself reaching for my Tablet PC instead.

William
I had a Tablet PC, an HP tx1000, which like most of the tx1000s overheated to death a month after the warranty expired. I disliked the weight and the excessive heat. I got used to the resistive touchscreen but it was impossible to write small (I had to zoom about 50% in and then zoom out to get the effect of writting something with a regular size). I'm thinking of either getting an ebook reader or an Asus T91 to replace it.

So William, I'd like to know how your experience with the PRS-600 is.
Do you have to press hard for the ink to register?
Can you write small stuff, say, like you'd normally write on a paper notebook?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You don't have to press very hard. that's actually a problem since there's no palm rejection, I find myself making extra lines w/ my knuckles.

Unfortunately, the stylus input sampling is infrequent and curves become linked straight line segments.

The Onyx Boox should be better for this since it has a Wacom digitizer but the software is said to need more work.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
shokkueibu

Thanks for the input, William.
I guess I need an e-reader with a Wacom digitizer then

Can someone share their experience with these devices (Onyx and iRex brands) regarding note taking?
Does the e-ink lag(like it's following the pen) and is it bad or can I get used to it?
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard

I can write fairly small on my PRS-600 --- I believe I could make do w/ it if I didn't have my Tablet PC to fall back on --- guess I should try harder.