Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #31
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
That's strange. I too do all my reading on a PRS-600 with reading lamps and normal room lighting, and don't have the slightest difficulty. Perhaps your PRS-600 has a faulty screen?
I don't think its faulty, it looks just the same as the one I played with on display in John Lewis, its just way too dark for me, and when compared next to a 505, their is just no comparison.

I did read a review which said reading on a 600 was like reading through a window and I know exactly what he means, it is, the text on the 505 is 'on' the page, the text on the 600 is 'below the screen', and add in the glare as well, and its just not worth the £250 I paid.

I am quite despondant about it to be honest, I don't buy books, I read fanfiction which is stories on word docs/PDF's and its an ebook which can take RTF or a netbook, so no other options for me. I can't just go back to reading paper back books as the stories I want to read are not published.

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-06-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #32
tasdisr
tasdisr began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
I have chose a 600 as my first reader. After checking both out at the Sony store, I chose the 600 over the 300 for the slightly larger screen and added features. I have not had a problem with glare or the screen contrast so far.
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #33
WookieReader
WookieReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iliad 2nd Ed/iPhone
Everyone is kinda all over the place. Looks in 50% of some go one way, and 50% go the other.

I have a Kindle DX that is probably going back, (no ability to do folders or tags at all), and I took my Kindle and Sony 505 I have up to compare at a store with the Sony 600 and 300. Sony contrast on 505 was better than 300, and I just wanted more of a matt finish rather than 600.

Having said all that, I passed on the Sony 600, (despite great speed), but Sony 505 contrast is great and 300 is just too similar, so why spend the money. Really was anticipating the 900 coming out soon, but unless contrast improves with that touchscreen, I would stick with the 505.

Kinda funny too, since I bought that 505 in late '07.
WookieReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #34
arekieh
Connoisseur
arekieh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 (OTW), PRS-300B (For Sale)
i wish they would make a 600, same exact specs with no touch screen, same speed, same options, and it would be amazing. however, im stilling willing to sacrifice some contrast and a bit of glare for the faster page turns and better options.

the page turns are insanely quick
arekieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:55 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
i wish they would make a 600, same exact specs with no touch screen, same speed, same options, and it would be amazing.
Same options? How could you do free-hand annotation on the screen (the most valuable feature for me) without a touch screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #36
arekieh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Same options? How could you do free-hand annotation on the screen (the most valuable feature for me) without a touch screen?
I shouldve clarified, the only options in the 600 that arent essential to me are the annotating ones. It would be nice to be able to highlight quotes and stuff for any books i need to read for english class and write essays on, but not essential and id be willing to give up the annotating for a better screen. Although if the touch screen was gone then the niceness of the reader and the ease of use would disappear as well.

Also, does the 600 actually flip pages as quick as the reader matrix says? the matrix says 0.3 seconds compared to 0.9 for the kindle/prs 300
Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use my PRS-600 to proof-read books on, so having easy "mark-up" with the stylus is a fantastically useful feature for me.

I suspect that the 0.3s refers to the "rapid page turn" mode, where you hold the page turn button in and it turns pages as fast as it will go without a "black flash" in between. That is VERY quick indeed - several pages a second.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #38
arekieh
Connoisseur

cool good to know. Thanks, mine should arrive on thursday
Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
mrdeadlocked
mrdeadlocked began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch Reader
I think today, i'm going to return my 600 for a 300. I find the glare just to distracting. I dont need the touchscreen or the added benefits of the 600. I'm gonna go with the cheaper option.
mrdeadlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #40
arekieh
Connoisseur

prs 600 just arrived. its going right back, its not the glare... its the reflection of my face in it .
Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #41
mrdeadlocked
mrdeadlocked began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch Reader
I can honestly say for me, reading the book is the experience im trying to capture, and the 300 does that far better.
mrdeadlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #42
arekieh
Connoisseur

for me its not trying to capture an experience lol. the prs 600 is unreadable.

my room doesnt have the best lighting (basement), but thats where i always read so i need something tha will work for me there and the prs 600 just shows me a nice reflection of my face
Old 12-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #43
katysax
Enthusiast
katysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle DX, prs 505
I have both the 600 and the 300. I like the software and the interface better on the 600. The screen glare does bother me a bit. I like the pocketability of the 300, and I like that it fits easily in one hand. I also like the light weight. Overall I find that I reach for the 300 more than the 600, but when I'm using it I do miss the software on the 600.
katysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:30 AM   #44
arekieh
Connoisseur

thats exactly why i bought the 600 to give it a try. the software is awesome. but the screen sucks
Old 12-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #45
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
I will stick with Sony because we already have two now. Getting anything else means not being able to move the purchased books to the new reader... I do like the dictionary on the 600...but hate the screen quality when compared with the 505... I am waiting until the holiday season is over and I can save a few $ to get a 300... I will let the children use the 600.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote