Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Leiga
Leiga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Azw3 problem in KPW2

If i convert EPUB (with image svg) to azw2 in calibre, the kpw2 don't read. I have to restart the kindle!

The convert of Mobi is worst. I lost the tables and images. =/

Anyone solved this?

Calibre can't do nothing. They say to me:
"There's nothing I can do to help. The Kindle cannot handle something
in your file. You will need to ask Amazon to tell what the problem is.
There is no way for me to figure out what the problem is simply from the
fact that it does not work on a Kindle. Especially given that it works
in Kindle Previewer.

Looking at the contents of the file, it is most likely one of the SVG
images. I suggest you convert those to PNG or JPEG and see if that
helps."

How can i convert the svg images? I don't know edit epub.

Pleaseeeeeeeeee

File exemple:
https://www.copy.com/s/kSJQezJQo1AY

I tried everything! Mobi doesn't answer for me. I can't understand the text without image/tables. This is for study.

Sorry my terrible english, i'm from Brazil.
Leiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
AZW2 is not an ebook format, it is the format for Kindle applets (kindlets). MOBI format does not support tables, and has less support for images.

If you cannot convert to AZW3, then submit a bug report; see here: http://calibre-ebook.com/bugs.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-28-2014 at 04:17 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Leiga

I reported the bug to Calibre. And they tell to me (for email) that can't do nothing.

I convert to azw3 ( i keyed incorrectly 2). It don't work. :/

The kindle don't read. I test others. Works. But the ones that thave svg image don't read the convert file (azw3).
Old 03-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Download kindlegen from Amazon and convert to mobi. Perfect results on KPW1, that is Kindle Paperwite (2012). Tables are svg images in this book. Might be you have to rename file leaving only ASCII characters in the file name, at least Kindlepreviewer couldn't open mobi with original name. I just renamed epub.

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 03-28-2014 at 04:27 PM.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If kindlegen doesn't work,... (I didn't know it could do that, and had already written this post by the time I saw the previous one, so I posted it anyway ) (also, I don't like kindlegen since it makes files triple the size):

In the calibre library you can use the Edit Book feature (the shortcut key is "T"). Select the .svg files in the file browser, Right click and select "Export _______". Open the files in GIMP or Inkscape, or some other image editor (or use something like http://image.online-convert.com/), and save them as JPEGs. Then go back to calibre Edit Book, right click on the file you converted, and choose "Replace _____ with file..."

repeat this for each file you need to convert.

Lastly, run the Check Book validator, by clicking on the ladybug icon in the toolbar.

You should get 6 errors about CSS Property: Unknown Property name -- you can ignore those.

The first bunch of errors, however, will relate to the changed picture -- select "The file ____ has a mimetyp that does not match its extension" and select "Try to correct all fixable errors automatically". Save the EPUB, then exit. This should fix the problem.
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

@eschwartz
No need to edit epub. I just coverted mobi (from kindlegen) to azw3 with calibre. Slower conversion, perfect result (and 6 MB instead uncompressed 13 MB to boot :-)).
Add:
Wow, I was wrong, azw3 works in Previewer but hangs PW. Well, just try kindlegen with option -c2, that is, maximal compression.

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 03-28-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

But I already wrote the post, so I had to put it up.

If your calibre-converted AZW3 is uncompressed, have you by any chance set, in Preferences ==> Conversion == Output Options, under the AZW3 and MOBI tabs, the option "Disable compression of the file contents"?

That may be the problem...

kindlegen has an option to not compress the contents as well but it also adds in the source files as well as a fallback mobi7 content, expanding the file size; this, you cannot turn off.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
EbokJunkie
Addict

You're right, compression may be an issue here. Compressed mobi also hangs PW. Just use default setting with kindlegen and you're done.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 AM   #9
Leiga

Thank you, guys.

But didn't work because the language of files (portuguese).

The accent doesn't works.

Exemple:
Before: Quanto ao plano estático da apresentação
After: Quanto ao plano estético da apresentação

This happened with Kindlegen.

I tried to convert in Calibre without compression. In Pc, works fine. But in the Kindle, don't. =/

I'm a terrible user, i can not edit file per file. I don't know to do works. :/ (Appeared more than 70 errors and i can't fix them!!!!)

I should bought Kobo!

Last edited by Leiga; 03-29-2014 at 02:54 AM. Reason: errors
Old 03-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #10
Leiga

Guys. It's me again.

Now it worked.

The Solution:

1) Convert Epub to Epub (yes, again, and i put the language portuguese - only edit language don't work fine the step 2).

2) After convert to mobi with KindleGen.

I lost the original font of file, but don't problem. I can read, including images and tables!

THANKS A LOT GUYS!!!!!!!! Finally one solution!!! The file is bigger, but i can live with that!!