Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The addition of page turn buttons seems unlikely. I'd like to see increased storage. 2 GB is ridiculous. Some book hoarders *ahem* want to carry 5 years worth of reading in their bags!
Solution: only read the recommended 30 minutes per day. And read sloooooooooower. Problem with storage solved. Or, reread once you are through.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Solution: only read the recommended 30 minutes per day. And read sloooooooooower. Problem with storage solved. Or, reread once you are through.
Oh you are SO Funny today! 30 minutes a day? ROFL!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I got my cover on evilbay!
2 covers for $11 (one hard cover with stand for $4,50, and one immitation leather cover (looking like a book), with touch pen for $6,50).

Forget about paying $30-$40 for a cover!
Evilbay has it for 1/4th the price!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Don't just think about it, just do it and pay to remove ads. The longer you wait, the more money Amazon makes on showing you the ads, but you won't get a discount on removing the ads. I don't even know where my on and off button is, my cover takes care of that. Open cover, boom ready - that is what I love about it.
I paid the fee and got them off this morning, then couldn't remember where I'd read your comment. I do like it, very handy just to open and right on the page where I was. With my lifestyle, sometimes I only have time for a paragraph, so this speeds things up a lot for me.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
The addition of page turn buttons seems unlikely. I'd like to see increased storage. 2 GB is ridiculous. Some book hoarders *ahem* want to carry 5 years worth of reading in their bags!
When you're reading PDF's the filesize goes up significantly when having pics in them.
I've seen PDF's of 200+ MB's; largest PDF was around 1GB, some kind of reference PDF or usermanual with parts manual for a device.

But hey, most PDF's are between 2 and 8MB. That's still 10x more than ebooks.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I paid the fee and got them off this morning, then couldn't remember where I'd read your comment. I do like it, very handy just to open and right on the page where I was. With my lifestyle, sometimes I only have time for a paragraph, so this speeds things up a lot for me.
As long as you remember you read about it. I am glad you like it ad-free better. This also tells me that I made the right decision to order my Paperwhites ad-free directly from Amazon.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #22
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
Just wanted to chime in about how much I love my Paperwhite too. The slight shadows cast by the LED lights are hardly noticeable. Initially I found the Paperwhite slippery to hold when lying down and went through the trouble of a getting "carbon fibre" sticker for the back and also a silicone case meant for the Touch. Neither survived a few minutes of use and I have since adjusted the way I hold the device. Another issue which bothered me was inconsistent display of fonts: some were more bold than others, but changing the page refresh to every page solved that.

The Paperwhite is nearly the perfect ereader, especially with my custom screensavers and fonts. I would really like to incrementally adjust the font size and margins instead of being stuck to the current few settings.
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by holgalee View Post
The Paperwhite is nearly the perfect ereader, especially with my custom screensavers and fonts. I would really like to incrementally adjust the font size and margins instead of being stuck to the current few settings.
Sounds like you already jailbroke the PW. Ixtab is working on making JBPatch compatible with PW. The hyphenation part and the custom font sizes are already working. He posted somewhere that he will work on the part with custom margins next.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
omega34
Enthusiast
omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by holgalee View Post
Just wanted to chime in about how much I love my Paperwhite too. The slight shadows cast by the LED lights are hardly noticeable. Initially I found the Paperwhite slippery to hold when lying down and went through the trouble of a getting "carbon fibre" sticker for the back and also a silicone case meant for the Touch. Neither survived a few minutes of use and I have since adjusted the way I hold the device. Another issue which bothered me was inconsistent display of fonts: some were more bold than others, but changing the page refresh to every page solved that.

I definitely agree with you on the Paperwhite's ease of use. Is there a thread that explains how to get custom fonts on the Paperwhite? I know how to jailbreak it, but I'm confused where to go from there.
omega34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #25
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega34 View Post
I definitely agree with you on the Paperwhite's ease of use. Is there a thread that explains how to get custom fonts on the Paperwhite? I know how to jailbreak it, but I'm confused where to go from there.
Look at this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23#post2353723 - there is some debate weather or not you need to have it jailbroken or not for it to work on 5.3.1. It might work without a Jailbreak (it should). But then again you are not against doing a jailbreak either (the new one ixtab made all up to 5.3.0 and 5.3.1 is simple enough).
Old 12-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
omega34
Enthusiast
omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What kind of fonts are compatible?
omega34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega34 View Post
What kind of fonts are compatible?
I think ttf and otf. It is recommended to have 4 versions of the same font - regular, bold, italic, bold-italic, but you can use fonts that only have part of those.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #28
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Don't just think about it, just do it and pay to remove ads. The longer you wait, the more money Amazon makes on showing you the ads, but you won't get a discount on removing the ads. I don't even know where my on and off button is, my cover takes care of that. Open cover, boom ready - that is what I love about it.
You still have to swipe it don't you?

Do you have the little ad at the bottom anymore then? I hate that.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #29
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
You still have to swipe it don't you?

Do you have the little ad at the bottom anymore then? I hate that.
No, I never had the Special Offers. I ordered my Paperwhites ad-free. No swiping or tapping, no ad on bottom of homepage.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #30
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
One of my favorite features of the Paperwhite is an unadvertised one...no more filtering out Audible results from Kindle Store searches. I assume this has everything to do with not having speakers and as far as I know, the K4 is the same way. What an upgrade this hardware downgrade makes!

As far as the rest, having a light to read by was what led to a brief flirtation and subsequent return of a Nook Glowlight. The devices really are worlds apart and those couple of days with the Nook make me appreciate the Paperwhite all the more.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote