Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Mantano Reader for iOS 2.0

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/mant...er/id768229929

I was happy to discover that my favorite epub app on Android, Mantano Reader, has made it to iOS—not sure how I missed noticing this until now. The new version includes good chunk of ePub3 support (powered by Readium SDK) and support for the latest Adobe DRM flavors that are starting to pop up (and which might take awhile to crack). Collections, customizable bookshelf, OPDS support (gutenberg and feedbooks are pre-configured and you can add your own), very customizable reading interface and good VoiceOver support. Will import from Box, Dropbox, or Google Drive (actually it just launches the respective apps so you can use Open With). You can edit the book metadata, choose whether to open as epub2/epub3/default.

Navigation is sluggish on my nearly 5 year old iPod Touch, but I would expect it to be acceptable on almost any other device that runs iOS6 or later, and maybe they can eke out more performance in dot releases. And it seems okay in straight reading mode. Haven't had a chance to see what it looks like on my iPad. It also supports PDF, and if it has feature parity with Android, that has nice cropping functionality. Many more features than Bluefire, but of course the latter is free, and this is not.

On Android Mantano offers an inexpensive subscription service for cloud storage with sync, but I don't see hooks for it here (there's no login with Mantano). Maybe that is coming, or maybe they'll add more direct integration with other cloud services in the future. For me this would be the main thing lacking right now, because I don't like to be tied to a particular device or OS for reading.

I love Marvin also, but it may take awhile for ePub3 (unless he plugs in Readium SDK) and I'm guessing DRM and VoiceOver (to say nothing of cross platform) are probably even lower priorities.

At any rate, this will be a nice app to have in my reading toolkit for iOS.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-17-2014 at 03:07 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Big fan of the Android app. Glad iOS users can start enjoying it too. The iOS port (not to mention the newly-added ePub3 support) gives me confidence that they (Mantano) plan on sticking around a while.

There's some improvements to be made on the ePub3 side of things, I think, but it's early days for that feature. I'm sure they'll come in time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But $4.99 is a lot. Is there a test version that's free?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find it hilarious how quickly $5 for useful software became "a lot."

I don't know about iOS, but on Android, there was always a free, ad-supported "lite" version, and a $2.99 Essentials version that had a few more features than the free version.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-17-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I am very disappointed with the iOS Montano app. IMHO it is a stripped down version of their Android app, which I have used and loved. I was excited when I saw it available for iOS. I had to contact the developer to find out how to adjust the font size. I still haven't figured out how dim the screen when I am in the app. I am not convinced that is an option. The instruction manual included is for the Andriod version. I can't find any help on their website. The only font choices are default, serif, sans-serif, and monospace. I do think Bluefire is a better reading app if you need one for DRM'd books.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I find it hilarious how quickly $5 for useful software became "a lot."
$5 is a lot when there's more apps you can buy for that kind of money. I don't think he was complaining about the price itself, just the fact that there was no lite version.

I am in the opinion that eBook readers should have a lite version. These are apps you make annotations in, stare at for hours, and want to have a play in the settings before you decide on the purchase.

I think they'll address those problems in the next couple of updates Poodlemom1, it's definitely doable on iOS. Everyone's getting ready for iOS 8 though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
$5 is a lot when there's more apps you can buy for that kind of money. I don't think he was complaining about the price itself, just the fact that there was no lite version.

I am in the opinion that eBook readers should have a lite version. These are apps you make annotations in, stare at for hours, and want to have a play in the settings before you decide on the purchase.

I think they'll address those problems in the next couple of updates Poodlemom1, it's definitely doable on iOS. Everyone's getting ready for iOS 8 though.
I don't think $5 is too much if the app is good. But there are a lot of very poor reading apps for iOS and given that a lot of people know nothing of Mantano, $5 is a lot for what people have no clue about. Given that it's not up to the standards of the Android paid app, $5 is outrageous especially since it's more then the Android version for less functionality.

The price should be dropped to the same price as the Android version when it's comparable and free until then.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
$5 is a lot when there's more apps you can buy for that kind of money.
Well sure ... in comparison to free and cheaper apps available. I just find it humorous how quickly all the free and cheap apps made $5 for functioning software seem like way too much money. I'm still accustomed to useful software often costing hundreds of dollars. Hell, I've purchased the Android version of Mantano Premium three different times just because I wanted to register my device to a different account. I'm still thinking I got the bargain of the century (for as much as I use it every day) at $18.

Perfectly understandable wanting a try-before-you-buy option, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
$5 is a lot for what people have no clue about. Given that it's not up to the standards of the Android paid app, $5 is outrageous especially since it's more then the Android version for less functionality.

The price should be dropped to the same price as the Android version when it's comparable and free until then.
I believe the Premium version actually costs more on Android (I remember paying $5.99, I think), you must be comparing prices to the $2.99 "Essentials" version.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-17-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I believe the Premium version actually costs more on Android (I remember paying $5.99, I think), you must be comparing prices to the $2.99 "Essentials" version.
It used to be more, but they've dropped it to $4.99

Knowing the history of the Android version I'm sure the iOS version will catch up once it has reached a similar maturity level.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Knowing the history of the Android version I'm sure the iOS version will catch up once it has reached a similar maturity level.

I hope so.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It used to be more, but they've dropped it to $4.99
Ah, thanks. I tried like heck to find a current price on the Android version, but the Play Store doesn't make it easy to see the price of something you already own.

So it's the exact same price as the iOS version, then (comparing Premium to Premium).
Old 07-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The topic makes it look like Mantano is written for iOS version 2.0 and not that Mantano is version 2.0.