Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #1546
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Yes. It will be available with Marvin 1.7 (in about a week).
Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #1547
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Thank you for sanity checking me - appreciate it.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #1548
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Awesome. Brilliant.

Could he add similar functionality for GoodReader as well.

Since iBooks does ePub + PDF and now that we are moving to
- Marvin : ePub
- GoodReader : PDF

Given that GoodReader may not even read or need a lot of the meta-data and functionality it might be as simple as copying the files ... BUT.. directly via Calibre > iOS interface.

Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #1549
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
How does one delete a series from Marvin? I am sure that it is simple and staring me in the face, but just cannot figure this out. Much thanks for help!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #1550
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Question Changing collection name in Marvin?

I just got my first iPad, discovered Marvin, and am loving it so far.

Is it possible to change the name of a collection once you've created it? Also, can a book appear in more than one collection; "Paranormal" and "Sookie Stackhouse," for example? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #1551
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Quote:
Soon. In Marvin's roadmap (blog.marvinapp.com) the "one more thing" feature is support for a new native calibre driver for Marvin developed by GRiker. You can do things like collection management, on the fly eBook format conversions, bulk transfers to and from Marvin, etc... It's absolutely fantastic.

I'll post tutorials on the driver once the new version of Marvin is available.

There's also a page here on MR dedicated to it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215624

I urge everyone to leave a small (or big) thank you donation to GRiker for all the work he puts into making calibre better for everyone.
That sounds awesome... Can't wait...
Old 06-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #1552
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
I just got my first iPad, discovered Marvin, and am loving it so far.

Is it possible to change the name of a collection once you've created it?
I don't find way to do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Also, can a book appear in more than one collection; "Paranormal" and "Sookie Stackhouse," for example? Thanks!
Yes. I use that a lot.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #1553
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
How does one delete a series from Marvin? I am sure that it is simple and staring me in the face, but just cannot figure this out. Much thanks for help!
I'm not sure if there's a simple way to bulk delete a series of books from the Marvin UI, but here's how you will be able to do it using the calibre driver.

With Marvin connected to calibre, type the following text in calibre's search box:
Code:
series:true and ondevice:true
This tells calibre to filter the list of displayed books to those that are in a series, and those that are on the device (Marvin).

Within that list, you can click on the Series column header, then group-select the books you want to delete.

Click Remove books, then Device to remove from Marvin. Or, you can right-click for a context menu, then Remove books, then Remove matching books from device.

This will work if the books were added to Marvin from your calibre library.

If the books came from another source, switch to the Device view, showing the books installed in Marvin.

If you've added the books to collections in Marvin, you can filter the list to a particular collection by typing
Code:
collections:foo
where 'foo' is a collection name.

Otherwise, you can sort by author, then group-select the books to delete.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-15-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #1554
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I'm not sure if there's a simple way to bulk delete a series of books from the Marvin UI, but here's how you will be able to do it using the calibre driver.

With Marvin connected to calibre, type the following text in calibre's search box:
Code:
series:true and ondevice:true
This tells calibre to filter the list of displayed books to those that are in a series, and those that are on the device (Marvin).

Within that list, you can click on the Series column header, then group-select the books you want to delete.

Click Remove books, then Device to remove from Marvin. Or, you can right-click for a context menu, then Remove books, then Remove matching books from device.

This will work if the books were added to Marvin from your calibre library.

If the books came from another source, switch to the Device view, showing the books installed in Marvin.

If you've added the books to collections in Marvin, you can filter the list to a particular collection by typing
Code:
collections:foo
where 'foo' is a collection name.

Otherwise, you can sort by author, then group-select the books to delete.

G
GRiker -

Could you add similar functionality for GoodReader as well.

Since iBooks does ePub + PDF and now that we are all moving to

Given that GoodReader may not even read or need a lot of the meta-data and functionality it might be as simple as copying the files ... BUT.. directly via Calibre > iOS interface.

Thoughts?

Maybe your scripts/ driver can become the "base framework" for add-on drivers/ scripts to push MEDIA into Non-Apple / Non-iBooks apps on iOS.

e.g. If I wanted to push/pull stuff to and from Marvin using Calibre, I'd wish to do the same for GoodReader (PDFs) and the best .MOBI Reader out there.

Slight changes and we could push out a new driver for any "Brilliant" new reader.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #1555
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
GRiker -

Could you add similar functionality for GoodReader as well.

Since iBooks does ePub + PDF and now that we are all moving to

Thoughts?

Maybe your scripts/ driver can become the "base framework" for add-on drivers/ scripts to push MEDIA into Non-Apple / Non-iBooks apps on iOS.

e.g. If I wanted to push/pull stuff to and from Marvin using Calibre, I'd wish to do the same for GoodReader (PDFs) and the best .MOBI Reader out there.

Slight changes and we could push out a new driver for any "Brilliant" new reader.
@crashnburn - if you read the description of the iOS reader applications plugin, you will learn that it has in fact been designed to be a general framework for multiple iOS readers.

Supporting a particular reader application is very much a cooperative effort which must be initiated by the reader application's developer. I have posted a detailed description of what's required of the application on the iOS side, and made available the calibre side of the Marvin driver as open source. You can find all of that at the GitHub repository.

I would encourage you to contact the developers of the reader applications you'd like to see added, and suggest to them that they consider adding the functionality to their apps.

G
Old 06-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #1556
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@chilady1. You can't delete a series from Marvin because a books series is encoded as metadata inside a book. What you can (but probably don't want to) do is edit the metadata of each book in the series and remove the series from there.

@dandelioncottage. To rename a collection, tap the pencil icon in the organizer and tap the circular icon next to the name of the collection you want to rename. Yes, a book can be in multiple collections.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #1557
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Kris... how far off is the iphone app? I'm really anxious to get a hold of it but... its been months now since it was going to be Real Soon Now and we still don't have it. And theres yet another Marvin iPad release coming this week...

Are there problems we can help with via beta testing?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #1558
kguil
Addict

It is being developed right now. There are no problems whatsoever (it's actually coming along quite splendidly). Many changes in the new iPad version are prerequisites for iPhone.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #1559
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Kris... how far off is the iphone app? I'm really anxious to get a hold of it but... its been months now since it was going to be Real Soon Now and we still don't have it. And theres yet another Marvin iPad release coming this week...

Are there problems we can help with via beta testing?
I do not remember a promise of "Read Soon Now". The promise if you search for it you will find that it is before September. Still a future event I believe.

Dale
Old 06-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #1560
crashnburn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
@crashnburn - if you read the description of the iOS reader applications plugin, you will learn that it has in fact been designed to be a general framework for multiple iOS readers.

Supporting a particular reader application is very much a cooperative effort which must be initiated by the reader application's developer. I have posted a detailed description of what's required of the application on the iOS side, and made available the calibre side of the Marvin driver as open source. You can find all of that at the GitHub repository.

I would encourage you to contact the developers of the reader applications you'd like to see added, and suggest to them that they consider adding the functionality to their apps.

G
GRiker - Gotcha! But, since that thread was closed I'll share some thoughts here.

I will connect with GoodReader folks as such. But, in the meantime assuming until they find the time or feel like doing it.

What could I do on my own as a community member to build some kind of add-on to your framework for GoodReader?

Would it be possible to patch together and have some minimal functions working without getting co-op from them?
Closed Thread