Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
timyap
timyap began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Unable to open file that is 8MB

Hi,

I have an lrf file loaded on my 505 that is 8mb in size. Everytime I try to open the file, it takes a long time, and eventually the reader resets itself before opening up the file. The file is currently stored in reader RAM. Is there anyway I can read this book?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
timyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds as if the file is perhaps corrupt. 8MB is not a particularly large file - I have a number which are significantly larger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Does the file open ok with the desktop software? How was the file generated?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
timyap

Unable to open 8mb lrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Does the file open ok with the desktop software? How was the file generated?
Yes, the file opens fine with libprs500. It was created using Convertlit.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timyap View Post
Yes, the file opens fine with libprs500. It was created using Convertlit.
But what about Sony's software, will it open the file ok? Convertlit can't create lrf files do you mean lit2lrf? Anyway I'll take it to mean the source file was a lit. Was it a commercially purchased lit or one from another source? I've had no problems with any lrf's created from lit's I bought, but a few I tried from other sources that were of dubious quality haven't always worked the best. I wonder if the file would work better if the original source was opened & Book Designer & an lrf made that way.

If the file isn't of copyrighted materials you could email it to someone & have them try it on their Reader to see if it's just some weird glitch on your particular device. PM me if you want & I'll give you my email addy.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
timyap

Yes, it was a commercially purchased Lit which I have converted to lrf using libprs500 (using the convert ebook utility). I then tried to view the lrf using the libprs500 "view" option on the toolbar and could open the ebook. However, when I tried to open the ebook on the sony reader, it goes to the screen showing "formatting" at the bottom, with the rotating time-out symbol. After about 7 - 8 mins in this mode, the reader resets itself.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
timyap, try connecting to your computer, transfer the file from the reader to the library, once it is transfered to the library; delete it from the reader. View it from the library on your computer(This step may not be necessary) then, transfer it back to the reader. This way it will be formated by the software and will open faster and easier on the reader.
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
timyap

Hi tdanzie,

Thanks very much for your advice. Unfortunately, the loading time has not improved and the Sony reader still resets before the file can be opened.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
timyap, sorry that didn't work. Do you have enough memory left, after that book and the others on the reader? Maybe the reader doesn't have enough memory to process the formating, try removing some of the books from the reader, if there are any and see if it format any faster.
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by timyap View Post
Yes, it was a commercially purchased Lit which I have converted to lrf using libprs500 (using the convert ebook utility). I then tried to view the lrf using the libprs500 "view" option on the toolbar and could open the ebook. However, when I tried to open the ebook on the sony reader, it goes to the screen showing "formatting" at the bottom, with the rotating time-out symbol. After about 7 - 8 mins in this mode, the reader resets itself.
If you use Sony's software to transfer the file it should pre-format it so the Reader doesn't have to do it.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
timyap

Thanks AnemicOak, I have tried what you said and loaded in the file using Sony's software. The happy part is that there was no formatting required. The unhappy part is that the reader hung (needed a reset) when I tried to open the ebook.

What has worked however is if I convert from Lit to Pdf using the ABC Lit Converter, then convert back to lrf using libprs500. Unfortunately, by doing this I lose all my hyperlinks and the formatting is way off... a poor compromise but so far the only solution that has worked.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you use lit2lrf to convert your lit that doesn't seem to work?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I have had the same problem and with files much smaller than 8mb. For instance the Wired.com (2mb) using Fetch news on calibre. If transfered directly to the reader it caused a constant reboot when trying to open.
The solution: Transfer first to your hard disk. Then load it into the Sony Connect software and then transfer from there to the Reader. Takes more time but has always worked.

When this method is used to transfer all the Fetched News from calibre I find much less re-booting and a quicker opening on the Reader.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote