Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you now feel about your Sony Reader?
Love it even more than when I bought it! 48 44.86%
Just as great as the day I got it! 33 30.84%
Like it and I use it a lot! 17 15.89%
It's nice, but I don't use it much anymore 5 4.67%
Stupid device. I wish I'd never bought it. 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #76
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Mine seems to be of excellent quality. They are made by Targus, who are a highly reputable case manufacturer. I find it to be enormously better than the supplied vinyl cover.
Maybe we speak about different cases?
I mean red/green and another color leather cases 39 or 49$ that you can buy on SonyStyle? The ones that people complain about misalignment?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
Maybe we speak about different cases?
I mean red/green and another color leather cases 39 or 49$ that you can buy on SonyStyle? The ones that people complain about misalignment?
No, we're talking about the same thing. I have the brown one and, other than being misaligned by a few mm (which is absolutely no problem) it's great. Attractive looking, tough, and very nicely stitched. Hard leather on the outside, soft suede on the inside. I'd have no hesitation at all in recommending one to anybody. As I said, enormously better than the vinyl cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #78
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
Yes, but I was told that they are of a very bad quality. Made in Chine. I was told it cannot be compared to the original soft cover supplied with the reader.
Whoever told you that was mistaken, astra_lestat. I agree with HarryT's evaluation -- I don't have one, but I have seen several, and they seemed to be quite well made (as long as the attachment point is on straight, that is ).

Quote:
Would ironing onto vinyl be a good idea? It would melt, wouldn't it?
You might not melt the vinyl, if you keep the head low enough, but I still think it would not be a good idea -- I'm not sure how well iron-on stuff would stick to the actual vinyl ....

I was thinking of getting one of the Sony premium covers, and putting a cover over that to keep it nice. The thing that's making me hesitate about one of the premium covers is that they're suede -- if they were smooth leather, I'd be a lot more interested, you see.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I was thinking of getting one of the Sony premium covers, and putting a cover over that to keep it nice. The thing that's making me hesitate about one of the premium covers is that they're suede -- if they were smooth leather, I'd be a lot more interested, you see.
The outside is smooth; it's only suede inside.

Edit: When I say "smooth" I mean it's smooth soft leather, with a rigid "insert" inside. It's not hard leather, like some things are made from. It's very nice - I like the texture of it - and seems pretty tough. Mine is slightly "weathered looking" after a couple of months of use, but there's absolutely no damage to it in the sense of rips or dents, and the stitching's held up perfectly.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-27-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #80
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
OK. Then it is back on my consideration list.

Last edited by astra; 02-27-2007 at 03:51 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #81
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
If you made one, Karen, there wouldn't be any possibility that it might be RED, would there?
''

Actually no it wouldn't....... It would probably be a patterned fabric. I just bought this purse in this fabric. They make placemats. If I bought one of these it would be large enough for what I would need to make one...... LOL.... I just don't feel that enthused.

Also appears my mail is not reaching me telling me there are responses to this thread. Thanks AOL you POS....... ha.

Here is the picture of the purse but more important for me, the material I could get in a placemat and what I could use for a cover. Called Jave blue

http://www.verabradley.com/Site/Stor...spx?sku=152:10
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #82
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Would ironing onto vinyl be a good idea? It would melt, wouldn't it?
Oh you misunderstood........probably more a girl thing. It's called stitch witch or something like that. You would actually melt the stuff in the seams of the material on the cover that is being made. You would not be ironing anything on the original cover itself. Do you remember making bookcovers from brown grocery bags? fold here and fold in flaps? Well same concept sort of, just use the stitch with and iron the seam instead of sewing it <G> I would prefer to sew, but I just that to Natch, LMAO.....once you ironed it, you would fit it on right on top of the existing cover. I am sure it's not for protection, just asthetics and to look different.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #83
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Okay guys, I just made one, <G> I think I will just make a new thread and stick it up in the Accessories dept. Pictures
Old 02-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
Oh you misunderstood........probably more a girl thing. It's called stitch witch or something like that. You would actually melt the stuff in the seams of the material on the cover that is being made.
Right - got you. I know the stuff you mean now. I've used it in the past to do hems of trousers, etc.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #85
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Yep that sometimes *emergency use* stuff..... I wouldn't make a dress with it, LOL, but it does have it uses and can be great for quick things.