Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What do we want from searching?
Jump to Next/Previous occurance of specified string 42 62.69%
A List of all occurrences (nice to have) 10 14.93%
A List of all occurrences (gotta have it) 4 5.97%
A List of all occurrences with page #s (nice to have) 10 14.93%
A List of all occurrences with page #s (gotta have it) 0 0%
A List of all occurrences with surrounding words (nice to have) 9 13.43%
A List of all occurrences with surrounding words (gotta have it) 8 11.94%
I’d like to have a dictionary word lookup function 22 32.84%
I’ve gotta have a dictionary word lookup function 8 11.94%
I want something REALLY complicated and involved from a search, and I want it to happen instantly! 1 1.49%
~ 3 seconds is okay for most searches 8 11.94%
~ 5 seconds is okay for most searches 16 23.88%
~ 10 seconds is okay for most searches 10 14.93%
~ 15 seconds is okay for most searches 1 1.49%
~ 20 seconds is okay for most searches 8 11.94%
I don’t care how long as long as it returns what I want to see 7 10.45%
I don’t have a dog in this hunt, I just want to see the poll results 3 4.48%
(newly added) Repeat last search 24 35.82%
(newly added) Whole word only option 20 29.85%
(newly added) Case sensitive option 14 20.90%
(newly added) I don't want a search function 8 11.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Question Sony Reader: What do we want from searching? (poll)

We've talked a lot about searching and the various reasons we want it, and what all would have to happen in the hardware/software to make it doable, but I don't recall any real discussion of what we want this notional search function to do.

So, I'm starting this thread as a place to talk that over. I'm adding a poll so that we can get kind of a quantitative measure of what we're looking for. I'm giving the poll my best guesses as to what folks want. I know I'll miss something, but that's what the discussion is for. I'm also going to try the poll feature that allows selection of multiple answers, so we'll see how that works.

I'd also like to get a feel for what's acceptable as far as how long the searching takes, clearly several minutes is probably too long, but is 20 seconds? 10? I'm used to the searching on the Palm eReader software, which is dependant on the length of the text it's searching, so I'd think that 10~20 seconds to search a long text is probably okay, with around 5 seconds being good for most searches, particularly just a "find the next/prev" kind of search.

For me, the only searching I see myself using is a find next/previous instance of a given text string. But you lot have a very diverse collection of different needs and goals, so I'm interested in what the rest of you come up with.

Have at it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A basic "Find Next/Prev Instance" is all I want, together with a preferably 1-button "Repeat Last Search" facility. "Whole word only" and "case sensitive" options would also be highly desireable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I don't want or need a search function.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I don't have a reader yet but things pretty much look like what I expect of computers in general.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
A basic "Find Next/Prev Instance" is all I want, together with a preferably 1-button "Repeat Last Search" facility. "Whole word only" and "case sensitive" options would also be highly desireable.
(smacks forehead) See? I knew I'd forget some obvious stuff.
Advert
Old 12-14-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
(smacks forehead) See? I knew I'd forget some obvious stuff.
I think you can edit the poll Only those who already voted won't be able to participate in the additions.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm not seeing where to edit it, Alexander. (feels another head smack coming on)
Old 12-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Word" is the program I do most searching in; I was just thinking what I use most often in that, and those are what I came up with .
Old 12-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm not seeing where to edit it, Alexander. (feels another head smack coming on)
Nat, check your PM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
mrborgs
mrborgs began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T5
Search features depends for me on the text I am using. For a fiction book probably no need at all other than dictionary to look up an unknown word. But for non-fiction, specifically resource books (like handooks, technical books, etc.) I would want a robust search function that will help to find inforamtion quickly in large books (e.g. - Computer programing book want to find all instances about a specific line of code)
mrborgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I mostly use the reader for fiction or linear reading of how-to books, so I don't have any need of search. I previously used palm and pocket pc for the past eight years and never really needed it...
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The situations I'd like to have it in fiction are for the really long "classics" - stuff like "War and Peace", or "The Count of Monte Cristo" where you encounter someone's name who last appeared 1000 pages before and you can't remember who they are. That's especially a problem in "War and Peace" where there are literally hundreds of named characters, many of whom have very similar names.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Nathan,
May not be strictly in find but it would be nice to bookmark the string you just searched for. E.g. "Chapter" to create a pseudo TOC using bookmarks.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If we do a search, the most valuable search lists for me have always been Key Word In Context (KWIC) type indexes. Otherwise a jump to the first occurance and a repeat key to get the the next.

While I like the concept of whole word searches, I am already having second thoughts about it as some texts (even several from the Sony store) have run two word together rendering this type of search moot.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
With a prev/next search, I'd appreciate the opportunity to bookmark a result also, because I find I often need to keep peeking at multiple results and then go back again.

It also needs to be trivial to choose prev or next. If it takes multiple buttons after each find, I think it becomes really frustrating.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote