Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Time to reformat internal memory

If anyone is currently monitoring this forum and has ever reformatted their internal memory on their PRS-505 please let me know how long it took. It has been almost 2 hours and I think that I must have a problem. I tried simply deleting the books first with Windows but I had 2 books that showed a 0 size and wouldn't delete. I am guessing that this reformat may be stuck there as well.

I do not have the USB cable attached. I don't think I needed to but the reader was fully charged. If this is supposed to be a 5 minute operation could someone let me know. Thanks.

Jackie 11:49am Sunday July 4
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Things have now got much worse. After waiting an additional hour I gave up. I have tried plugging in the USB cable (not seen by Windows). I have tried powering off - doesn't happen. I have tried pushing the reset button many times (>10) - does nothing. The reader just keeps saying "formatting internal memory". My next step is to actually open the case and disconnect and reconnect the battery. I don't like that - very messy process, but I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
Have you tried this

Quote:
Hard Reset

(erases all contents)

* If the device is on, slide the "Power" so that it turns off. Look for a small pinhole on the back panel (not the side, that's the charging indicator LED) and press the reset button on the back using a bent paper clip (do not use anything sharp like a pin).
* Slide the "Power" button to turn it on. While the screen displays "Starting up ...", you will see the light above the "Power" button flash in yellow. Wait for 35 to 40 seconds, then proceed to hold down the "MARK" and "VOL +" buttons.

(NOTE on the PRS505, do not wait those 35~40 seconds, push and hold the "Mark" and "VOL +" buttons immediately -- the boot window is shorter on 505s)

* CONTINUE TO keep these 2 buttons pressed for about 5 to 10 seconds, until the round "PAGE" button makes a quick blue flash.
* CONTINUE to keep these 2 buttons pressed for another 25 seconds, the screen will show a "Reset All" message, and ask to delete all content.
* Press button '5' to clean up content, this could take several minutes if you have many files on the Reader. When the deletion completes, the Reader will turn off.
* Press the "Power" button to turn it on; this could take several minutes if you have many files on the Reader.
* Connect your device to your PC and log-in to the store.
* Go to Account>Manage Devices – you will be asked if you’d like to authorize this device to your account. Please say yes.
* Your device should be ready to read eBooks purchased from your account.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
If anyone is currently monitoring this forum and has ever reformatted their internal memory on their PRS-505 please let me know how long it took. It has been almost 2 hours and I think that I must have a problem. I tried simply deleting the books first with Windows but I had 2 books that showed a 0 size and wouldn't delete. I am guessing that this reformat may be stuck there as well.

I do not have the USB cable attached. I don't think I needed to but the reader was fully charged. If this is supposed to be a 5 minute operation could someone let me know. Thanks.

Jackie 11:49am Sunday July 4
I have the same ereader as you have. I've reformatted my ereader's internal memory and it took less than 10 minutes total. At the time I used it as a quick way to get rid of a large number of ebooks on my ereader since it was faster to do it that way and then resync my ereader with the Sony Reader Library (SRL) than using just the SRL to delete the ebooks.

Something that may be a factor with the two ebooks: I've found that if you sync an ebook to your ereader using the SRL, it can only be removed by removing it from the sync list and then resyncing your ereader with the SRL. Also, if you've upgraded to the current version of the ereader software you might be able to delete the ebooks on the ereader itself.

I hope that helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
If your forced to disconnect the battery, follow the video guide in the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLHgLz9LYMA
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
Things have now got much worse. After waiting an additional hour I gave up. I have tried plugging in the USB cable (not seen by Windows). I have tried powering off - doesn't happen. I have tried pushing the reset button many times (>10) - does nothing. The reader just keeps saying "formatting internal memory". My next step is to actually open the case and disconnect and reconnect the battery. I don't like that - very messy process, but I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?
Just in case you had my problem: with the reset 10 times thing you need to poke the reset button, slide the power switch, it should then blank the screen and come up with the startup screen.

You repeat the reset / power thing as soon as the startup screen appears, repeat it 10 times and on the 11th restart you should get a reflash firmware sceen. You then need to connect to a pc running windows, with the latest Sony firmware flasher and run that.

If you never get the blank screen / restart screen with the power slide I'd guess repeating in 10 times won't help.

You could try this alternate way of getting to reformat:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2706
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
jjansen
J

I talked to about three levels of service people at Sony yesterday. The hard reset does not work. I try that and I still get the main menu from where I can do nothing. :-( Sony has said that I need to send it in for repair/replace. That was fine when they thought I lived in the US (even though I originally called Sony Canada). Apparently Canada doesn't have the $99 repair/replace program that the US has when the ereader is out of warranty. The repair charges here are just too high to take a chance with. I will keep trying to get this hard reset to work. I am convinced it would help if I could get that to work. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I think I tried all of them................Jackie