Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
"Best Practice" for PDF?

Is there a consensus on whether or not the 505 is usable for PDF documents, and if so, how best to handle PDF?

I've tried several approaches so far, and my results are very unpredictable. Rasterfarian seems to produce very accurate conversions, but the text is often too small to be readable, even with the largest 505 font. I've demoed a few conversion programs (ABC Amber Pdf and text converter, Docudesk deskUNPDF, etc). None seem to be a great solution. Some produce a terrific MS Word format conversion, but I don't know how to get from there to a good 505 format. Some produce complicated html which I can't get Calibre to process correctly.
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
You can just read pdf's straight on the 505. I've had no problems with them so far. I've uploaded them through Digital editions or the Elibrary software easily.

The font size tends to be a bit small - increasing it leads to weird word breaks - but basically it's fine. Mind you I've got good eyes and am used to reading small print paperbacks.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
ChefDude
PRS505 owner
ChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to beholdChefDude is a marvel to behold

Device: Sony PRS-350, 505
i converted all my pdfs to lrf using calibre.

my 1 week ownership observations are that .lrf is quicker for the 505 to index and bring up the book to read. Then again, i'm not worried about images and tables for the novels i have converted (700+ so far).
ChefDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
If the PDF is composed of scanned images, then the 505 doesn't reflow the text since there isn't any text to reflow. For PDFs containing text, the text is displayed on the 505 with left justification instead of full justification and that just looks awful to me. So I almost always run all PDFs through an early version of PDFLRF: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135. It takes awhile to get used to the program and with the different options (which I suggest that you try in order to find what's optimum for different PDFs), but it works for me almost all the time. I probably wasted about 30 hours or more fooling with it and other utilities trying to find something that worked satisfactorily. I haven't tried any newer utility in the past year and a half so there may be better methods by now.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

If it's text based PDF, and it is at all complicated, or has things that I doubt calibre's ability to handle (e.g., mathematical notation and the like), then I use SoPDF on it. This preserves the look exactly, but splits the page and removes the margins, which is usually enough to get a readable font size.

If it's a scanned/image-based PDF, I use PDFLRF to do more or less the same thing, which works pretty well unless the PDF had very wide lines of text.

PDFLRF and Rasterfarian are pretty similar, actually, but I find that I like my results a little better with PDFLRF.

But if you can get it into Word format decently, can't you just change the page and font size, and convert back to PDF? Use Sony's own recommendations here:
User’s Guide to Creating PDFs for the Sony® Reader

Last edited by frabjous; 06-25-2009 at 01:32 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
gyuen
gyuen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e505
Hello,

After a bit of experimenting, I read only PDFs now instead of any ePUBs. Usually i download books from wikisource and then format it. I have a template and also some word macros that modify document so it turns out ok. Then I create a PDF from Word.

The settings I use:

90x120mm page size, 0mm margins
11 pt Times New Roman, 13 pt leading

They turn out great. 10 pt fonts are also readible.
gyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:57 AM   #7
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
After playing around with alot of the pdf converter programs I found Mobipocket creator does a good nofuss conversion of textbased PDFs to html.
Then use calibre to convert the html to a rather good lrf or epub.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quick & dirty Word to Sony PDF:

- Change page size of the Word document to 3.54" x 4.60" (90mm x 117mm).
- Put very small margins (I use .1" margins all around; if you like more whitespace, add a bit to that.)
- Font size: I use 9pt font, but I like small-ish text; 9-12 pt font size is about right for most people. I use Fontin; Georgia's also good for the Reader.

Select all text. Edit paragraph settings; change to single-spaced. (Not all PDF converters do this.) Keep all text selected. Edit font settings; change to 100% size, normal expansion.

If you're comfortable with Word formatting, find the chapter headers and change them to a "Heading" style; that way, when it converts to PDF, they'll automatically be bookmarked & the Sony will read them as Table of Contents entries. (I often use Heading 3, because that's the least jarring on my eyes.

- Edit properties (Document --> Properties); make sure the title & author are what you want to show up in the Sony Reader's listings.

Convert to PDF; save converted PDF to the Reader or memory card.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
After playing around with alot of the pdf converter programs I found Mobipocket creator does a good nofuss conversion of textbased PDFs to html.
Then use calibre to convert the html to a rather good lrf or epub.

In my experience, Mobipocket seems geared towards text-only books. When I try it on books with illustrations, it seems to always fail.
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmathprog View Post
Is there a consensus on whether or not the 505 is usable for PDF documents, and if so, how best to handle PDF?

I've tried several approaches so far, and my results are very unpredictable. Rasterfarian seems to produce very accurate conversions, but the text is often too small to be readable, even with the largest 505 font. I've demoed a few conversion programs (ABC Amber Pdf and text converter, Docudesk deskUNPDF, etc). None seem to be a great solution. Some produce a terrific MS Word format conversion, but I don't know how to get from there to a good 505 format. Some produce complicated html which I can't get Calibre to process correctly.
PDFs *made for the Sony PRS-505* work better than anything else. PDFs made for any other size screen work worse than everything else and can be difficult to impossible to convert properly.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmathprog View Post
In my experience, Mobipocket seems geared towards text-only books. When I try it on books with illustrations, it seems to always fail.
Yes, Mobipocket creator is not perfect for pdfs with diagrams or illustrations but works well for text-only pdfs.
I have not found anything that works well with pdfs with diagrams and pictures.
I used a sample issue of Scientific american magazine and tried numerous convertors and it was almost readable and formatted good enough but not quite so I gave up. Only a large size reader displaying pdf natively would yield good results I think.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I used a sample issue of Scientific american magazine and tried numerous convertors and it was almost readable and formatted good enough but not quite so I gave up. Only a large size reader displaying pdf natively would yield good results I think.
Could you post the article or a link to it, and maybe I'd suggest a tool. I definitely wouldn't try anything like calibre or mobipocket. PaperCrop might have been helpful, if it was formatted in columns; maybe a combination of that with something else.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:54 AM   #13
tech_au
Oz Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Could you post the article or a link to it, and maybe I'd suggest a tool. I definitely wouldn't try anything like calibre or mobipocket. PaperCrop might have been helpful, if it was formatted in columns; maybe a combination of that with something else.
I think the double column text with pictures in between was what the difficulty was. The text would either be too small to read or the columns didn't flow properly or the pictures would be broken up inappropriately. As I was mucking around with in about 9 months ago I no longer have the sci american pdf but I have had some success with mobipocket creator on other simpler formatted magazines like Escape Velocity(from escapevelocitymagazine.com) which also has pictures with text flowing around it but only single column.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Go to SciAm Digital and click on "Learn More" in the Subscribe box. This brings up a page with the 20-page PDF sample, which is essentially a PDF of the print magazine. The sample includes a background image on some pages, lots of illustrations and sidebars, and varied page layouts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Go to SciAm Digital and click on "Learn More" in the Subscribe box. This brings up a page with the 20-page PDF sample, which is essentially a PDF of the print magazine. The sample includes a background image on some pages, lots of illustrations and sidebars, and varied page layouts.
For an ebook reader, it's a mess.

I could read it on the PRS-505 without editing, but it'd involve some eyestrain. (If I loved the magazine, I'd read it that way.) It reflows the article text okay, but the formatting goes a bit crazy, especially for pages like the table of contents. (And often, the article text appears before the article headers.)

Aside from the fact that it's locked (which is easy to fix if you have the right software, and impossible otherwise), it's a nightmare to reformat. There's not enough whitespace around the edges to make much difference if it were cropped, and the columns aren't neatly organized in twos or threes; some pages have those, and some have text in squares, and some have text/picture combos that will be hard to convert to good ebook formats. Saving it as Word or HTML still winds up with weird line breaks and headers and footers mixed in with other content. Converting to other ebook formats would keep the scrambled text unless someone wanted to spend a couple of hours reformatting.

The only comfortable way to read such PDFS is on a computer or a large-screen device.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote