Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
jackibar
Enthusiast
jackibar began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone apps
File Won't Open!

I've worked and worked on an ePub book in Sigil (saving regularly) and after 28 chapters it started acting "weird" - for example, the chapter divider graphic I'd been using throughout the book suddenly appeared as a question mark like it couldn't find the image...

So I thought closing Sigil and re-opening might solve the problem. However, now Sigil won't open the file AT ALL!!!

It won't let me "Copy" and "Paste" the error message (keeps beeping when I try) - but it begins:

Error info: Cannot load file

(long file path...) /Users/john/Tmp/s_b/s...(etc.) Throw in function static QString.. (much more)

There is NO user "john"! Only "Jacki" on my Mac!!

How can I get my file back open?!
jackibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Can you open the ePUB with a zip-program? I have a feeling that your file is corrupt.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
jackibar
Enthusiast

When I opened it as a zip, it created a file called:

Nothing Is Impossible.zip.cpgz

??!!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackibar View Post
When I opened it as a zip, it created a file called:
Nothing Is Impossible.zip.cpgz
??!!
If you're using the Mac or Linux version of Sigil, try a different archiver. E.g. Keka on the Mac or p7zip for Mac & Linux.
If you're able to open the .epub with it, extract all folders and files. Then create a blank .epub in Sigil, open it in the archiver and replace all files in it with your files.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
jackibar
Enthusiast

That seems to have worked - thanks! What would have caused this to happen so I can avoid it in the future?!!
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackibar View Post
That seems to have worked - thanks! What would have caused this to happen so I can avoid it in the future?!!
That behaviour is a bit unusual, probably nobody knows for sure how to avoid it (buying a machine probably isn't a solution, you want to hear... )

If I were you I would check for malware and get a tool to analyse the harddrive. The behaviour could point to a hardwareproblem. If there are some recent changes in software, this could be the reason as well.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote