Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Unhappy Calibre won't launch after Windows update

I'm running version 0.8.40 on a Windows 7, Home Premium PC. Windows apparently did an update overnight, and I haven't been able to launch Calibre since then. Couldn't care less about Windows, but I NEED my Calibre!!! Any suggestions?
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ing-on-windows
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Kovid. After a second reboot, it launched with a message that my database had been corrupted, and attempted to execute a rebuild, which failed. It prompted me to create a new library. My original library is in a Dropbox folder, and it appears that everything is "there." Now, when Calibre launches, I get the blank, new library. I'm barely literate in database use. Any idea on whether the original library is salvageable?

It's Working now - Within Calibre, I went to the "Switch Library" option and selected the original library from the list. It opened just fine.

Last edited by ClairePMR; 02-29-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Status Update
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you have not guessed it already:
Never let Windows do an 'Automatic Update' (and destroy ).
Set the update to Notify (better choice for Laptop) or Download and Notify.

Then You get to choose when (and have closed other programs safely)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
ClairePMR
Groupie

Thanks, theducks, I had it set for Notify, but it appears my darling hubby got his mitts on my laptop again. He changes things without my permission (and usually without understanding what he's doing), and the result is usually not good! I think I need to change my password again to lock him out!
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cklls View Post
Thanks, theducks, I had it set for Notify, but it appears my darling hubby got his mitts on my laptop again. He changes things without my permission (and usually without understanding what he's doing), and the result is usually not good! I think I need to change my password again to lock him out!
Create another 'Admin' account, then remove Admin privileges from your account.
It is a pain, to have to jump through the hoops wen you need to raise your privileges, but it is safer.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
ClairePMR
Groupie

That's a good idea! Agreed, a little more work, but it would definitely confuse him enough that he wouldn't touch the darn thing. It never fails; something ALWAYS gets screwed up when he puts his fingers on my keyboard. No matter how many times I tell him to stick to his own computer, he insists on messing with mine! Thanks for the advice!