Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
[Old Thread] V 6.34 keeps HD busy & noisy??

With my Windows XP Pro SP 3 and with my Sony PRS 505 attached via USB, whenever Calibre V 6.34 is open, there is constant access and noise (kind of a fairly slow [maybe once per second] cyclic thumping noise) to my Hard Drive. When I close Calibre, the noise/access goes away. The noise has never been observed with my Hard Drive before.

What can explain this occurring only with Calibre V 6.34?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
this is only when the sony is connected?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
this is only when the sony is connected?
Kovid, Apparently the answer is "yes".

To verify, I just now loaded Calibre and there was no ongoing Hard Drive access/noise. When I attached the Sony PRS 505, the Hard Drive noise/access began and continued constantly. Then when I unattached the Sony PRS 505, the Hard Drive noise/access stopped right away while Calibre was still open.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When the device is connected, calibre calls a couple of windows API functions to get information about the device, which is probably causing the hard drive to "re-activate" each time the function is called, causing the noise. I guess I can program a cutout to not do the probing while the device is connected, opena ticket so I dont forget.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Never mind. Here's a build that should fix the issue: http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...bre-0.6.34.msi
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Here's a build that should fix the issue: http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...bre-0.6.34.msi
Kovid, Yes, thanks, that is much better...and appears to be back like it was in previous versions.

Calibre detects the device and is then happy. No more accesses/noise.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
laura3937
laura3937 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre 6.34 trying to access a:drive

Loaded the 6.34 Calibre .msi update. My A: drive lights up intermittently whenever Calibre is running. Also, although have used the DRM removal package on book files, Calibre 6.34 tells me the file is still DRMed and cannot convert the book.

Thanks for any input.
laura3937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If calibre says the books has DRM, then your removal was not successful.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
baratono
baratono began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
With my Windows XP Pro SP 3 and with my Sony PRS 505 attached via USB, whenever Calibre V 6.34 is open, there is constant access and noise (kind of a fairly slow [maybe once per second] cyclic thumping noise) to my Hard Drive. When I close Calibre, the noise/access goes away. The noise has never been observed with my Hard Drive before.
I'll bet it wasn't the hard drive -- do you have a 3.5" floppy drive installed?

Since the device detection changes in 6.34, whenever my Kindle2 is connected, Calibre causes attempted "A:\" drive accesses about once a second. It doesn't stop until I eject and then disconnect the Kindle or exit Calibre.

Installing Kovid's patched 6.34 version linked to in this thread does indeed fix the problem with only one or two floppy accesses during detection and then it stops.
baratono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by baratono View Post
B, You're probably correct. My desktop PC is down low so I just saw the green access light on and heard the noise and assumed it was the Hard Drive.

As you say, it probably was the floppy drive.

Last edited by petercreasey; 01-17-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by baratono View Post

Since the device detection changes in 6.34, whenever my Kindle2 is connected, Calibre causes attempted "A:\" drive accesses about once a second. It doesn't stop until I eject and then disconnect the Kindle or exit Calibre.

Installing Kovid's patched 6.34 version linked to in this thread does indeed fix the problem with only one or two floppy accesses during detection and then it stops.
Seems it is not limited to the Kindle

I just connected my Astak Pocket EZ and the floppy started the "seek noise" at or near the end of the PEz library scan.
Using Calibre's "Eject" did not stop the noise. I had to detach the USB cable from my PEz.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
Jim77
Jim77 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
I downloaded the latest version and the one before and every time i'm running Calibre my computer made noise of clicks - with or without my Sony prs-600 attached.
1 click per second.
As i read above i believe it is the floppy drive
Jim77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
For now, I have disabled the floppy by using Windows Device Manager.
I rarely use a Floppy these days.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
laura3937
laura3937 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
If calibre says the books has DRM, then your removal was not successful.
You were right! Finally got the DRM removed.

But, still the same problem with a: drive (temporarily solved that by disabling the drive).

The other problem - poor formatting continues to be a problem. Sentences are chopped into small fragments (ASCII format??) and shown as separate paragraphs.

Thanks for any assistance or advice.
laura3937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The build linked to below solves the floppy drive problem. (I'm amazed there are still computers being sold with floppy drives thought)