Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Sony's book store is not as big at Amazon and classics and popular titles are mainly available on epub and mobi, so that's not an issue at all.
While the Sonystore might not be as big as Amazons (I do not know if this is true or not) it is certainly on parr with prices most of the time I find Sonystore to be cheaper. Whenever I check, Amazon is more expensive.

Same with the book I bought on Saturday

Amazon $9.29

Sony $8.77
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
1.) As a Canadian, you can download and buy books via WhisperNet without issue or additonal cost. And if you have a WiFi connection available, you can use it as well. Keep in mind, however, that the 3G+WiFi model is the $189 model. The cheaper models are WiFi only, no 3G.
2.) Download via WhisperNet is fast. Very fast.
3.) You are not restricted to Amazon to buy books. I buy from Chapters via Kobo all the time. It does require using a computer as an intermediary, but it's trivially easy. DRM removal of purchased books for personal use and format shifting is legal in Canada.
4.) No screen is better than Kindle's. The current generation of Sony is equal, though I've heard the fonts aren't quite as good. Not sure how easy it is to change fonts/screensavers, etc. on the Sony, but trivial on the Kindle.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #18
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I prefer sony's fonts, actually, so to each his own I suppose.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
While the Sonystore might not be as big as Amazons (I do not know if this is true or not) it is certainly on parr with prices most of the time I find Sonystore to be cheaper. Whenever I check, Amazon is more expensive.

Same with the book I bought on Saturday

Amazon $9.29

Sony $8.77
I think it depends of the title (and maybe the country)

Long time ago, when I was comparing prices and eink readers, 80% or more, Amazon had better prices. I am talking about computer books which is basically what I read. I also checked popular titles or bestsellers and the prices were exactly the same on B&N, Sony and Amazon with the advantage, that I did not have to pay taxes here in Texas if I buy from Amazon. I do pay taxes if I buy from B&N online (talking about B&N now), which makes the book couple of dollars more expensive.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #20
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The differences vary. On Saturday it was actually $3. Once it was a $10 gap, but Amazon fixed it quite fast. I often read here on the forums Sonys bookstore is more expensive than Amazon, it seems to me it once was, but it is no longer. I am registered with an US adress in both.

As there is a wide choice of stores selling epub it is very easy to save some over Amazon if you read fiction.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
The differences vary. On Saturday it was actually $3. Once it was a $10 gap, but Amazon fixed it quite fast. I often read here on the forums Sonys bookstore is more expensive than Amazon, it seems to me it once was, but it is no longer. I am registered with an US adress in both.

As there is a wide choice of stores selling epub it is very easy to save some over Amazon if you read fiction.
Or use the new feature in Calibre, and check all the prices at once, and buy from the cheapest. Then convert to the format you need.

No one should be restricted to a particular format or store. That's just wrong. And so easily fixed.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #22
Acrimonus
Enthusiast
Acrimonus began at the beginning.

Device: none
I guess I'll grab the Kindle then, I already use Calibre and converting to mobi should be simple if I really need to, and I really am not a fan of touch screens. Messy person, messy touch screen

Thanks for all the opinions!
Acrimonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #23
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrimonus View Post
I guess I'll grab the Kindle then, I already use Calibre and converting to mobi should be simple if I really need to, and I really am not a fan of touch screens. Messy person, messy touch screen

Thanks for all the opinions!

Congrats! Let us know how it goes ...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #24
Acrimonus
Enthusiast
Acrimonus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just popping back in to say I love my Kindle.

No problems on book selection thus far other than finding time to read them all.

Last edited by Acrimonus; 11-26-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Acrimonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #25
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrimonus View Post
Just popping back in to say I love my Kindle, fantastic e-reader and the words really are much crisper and blacker than my pocket pro.

No problems on book selection thus far other than finding time to read them all!
Glad to hear that! ... did you buy any case or sleeve for your new Kindle?