Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #31
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I have a Literati on order. After reading this thread and another on it, I'm plotting my strategy. Please let me know if I have this correct -

Upon opening, I should:

1) Do a factory reset

2) Update to the latest firmware

3) Add books to SD card (to skip internal memory problems?)

4) Turn unit on then insert SD card

5) Turn unit off then back on to see the books

Of course I will do lots of experimenting on my own with my Literati and Calibre. I am just trying to determine my first steps. I don't plan on using the Kobo store at all.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #32
KDC
KDC began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
problems since updating to 2.0

I updated to Literati firmware update 2.0 and the problems started. Machine sometimes starts with the start button then the Literati screeen just sits and flashes. Sometimes starts with the restart button then flashes the Literati screen. Sometimes machine turns itself off and never turns on. have done a factory reset. Have erased all orignial books off the reader. Computer still won't recognise Literati. Still can not turn it off and back on reliably. This is the second Literati I have had. Returned orriginal because it turned itself off and never turned back on.
KDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #33
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Calibre

Anyone use Calibre? I open it and it says there's an update to 7.44 in what looks like a hyperlink but it doesn't work. Should it work or do I just download the whole Calibre and old files will be removed but libraries will remain?
I feel so stupid.
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjplo View Post
Anyone use Calibre? I open it and it says there's an update to 7.44 in what looks like a hyperlink but it doesn't work. Should it work or do I just download the whole Calibre and old files will be removed but libraries will remain?
I feel so stupid.
Yes, you can go to the site and do the update. Calibre is updated often.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #35
gimpy
gimpy began at the beginning.

I just picked up a Literati by Sharper Image for $40 from the store and I went to do the 2nd update ( currently I'm at 1.6 ) and about half way through the Download my Literati Freezes and I literally cannot turn it off and reset it....UPDATE: I finally got it reset and I'm wondering if i should Format the device or just keep trying to download the update until i'm at 2.0? Then try to get books on it that I have from my computer? thanks

Last edited by gimpy; 02-05-2011 at 08:22 PM.
gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #36
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurabel View Post
I have had this same problem, can anyone help? Thanks
B&N epub has a different DRM scheme than Adobe. Probably the easiest fix is to use a Calibre plugin to strip the DRM (legality depends on your location and is often questionable). Someone who blogs and loves cabbages can probably help you (or you could contact me if you need more help). (DRM stripping is not allowed to be openly discussed on the forum due to the legal issues.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
I just picked up a Literati by Sharper Image for $40 from the store and I went to do the 2nd update ( currently I'm at 1.6 ) and about half way through the Download my Literati Freezes and I literally cannot turn it off and reset it....UPDATE: I finally got it reset and I'm wondering if i should Format the device or just keep trying to download the update until i'm at 2.0? Then try to get books on it that I have from my computer? thanks
I would do a factory reset and then try updating again. (Or did you already do that?)

Last edited by MR. Pockets; 02-07-2011 at 12:47 PM.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #37
drnvs
drnvs is on a distinguished road

Device: ebookwise, Kindle 2, Liberati
I have a new literati.My laptop (Windows 7 ) would not recognize it. I have sent the following message to Kobo support.
'I have anew Literati ereader. I have no problem syncing the device with my KOBO library account and in transfering books to the reader. But when I try transfer other books in' my documents' folder and connect the Literati to the laptop I get the message' one of the devices connected to the USB is not recognized. What is the problem. I had reset the device and reconnected. The problem continues. I would appreciate your help."
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
drnvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #38
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
I would suggest that you do factory reset on the reader. I had a literati that had a similar problem. My computer recognized a storage device but said that it wasn't formatted (I run XP). Oddly, the device also didn't have the promised 25 preloaded books. I did a factory reset on it and now my comp doesn't complain that it isn't formatted and the 25 books showed up. (Warning! A factory reset will delete everything off the device but the preloaded books. Make sure to have all books backed up!)

Also, I think that the support here (literatireader.com) would be a better place to submit questions on the reader itself.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #39
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjplo View Post
I don't think the outlet type matters.
Some of us (including me) like it, others hate it, and there are so many who report problems with it. DH has one, too, so we're 2 for 2 as far as success goes.
Mine worked perfectly right out of the box. it just wasn't what I wanted. mine was a return. I know this because the previous owner left her email address in it, and we have become good eFriends!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #40
Laurabel
Laurabel began at the beginning.

Device: Literati--Kindle
Someone who blogs and loves cabbages can probably help you
Thanks a lot for the help, got all straightened out.
Laurabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #41
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Also, I think that the support here (literatireader.com) would be a better place to submit questions on the reader itself.
Email there doesn't get answered and the site still says to download v1.9. The manual has not been updated to reflect v2.0 and I read in a review on Amazon that someone called them and was told that there won't be any more updates. Are we going to be orphans, I wonder?
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #42
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
I'm in Australia. My wife recently returned from a trip to New York. She got me a Literati.

I'm experiencing a lot of the problems. For example, my PC running Windows 7 doesn't recognise the unit when connected to the USB port.

I bought a 4 gig SD card (HC type). I copied a number of PDFs to it. It took a few goes for the Literati to see them. When I tried to open one to read it the unit said that they were DRM'ed. They shouldn't be.

I converted some PDFs to EPUB using Calibre. I copied them to the SD card.

When I inserted it and turned the reader on, it scanned it for new media then locked up.

I tried this numerous times.

Calibre doesn't see it when the Literati is connected. So I can't add new books to it, convert any and send to device or to download newsfeeds to it.

It runs Ver 1.9 of the firmware/software. Wireless networking works fine. I can buy any book that's available to me. Unfortunately there are quite a few that are not due to the farcical copyright restrictions that book publisher impose on the reading world.

I have a Kindle DX. This Literati was supposed to be a replacement for it as the Kindle's too big and too heavy for reading, really, particularly in bed. So, I tried to transfer my Kindle library to the Literati. But because the Kindle doesn't use the EPUB format I have to convert the books, most of which are .azw files which are DRM'ed by Amazon.

So, in short I'm stuck with a PoS which I can't return, which has limited value because of region copyright restrictions and which I cannot connect to my computer.

I'll stick with the Kindle. It's registered as a US originated unit so I don't have any problems obtaining the books that I want to read. And it works flawlessly.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #43
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Any one Know how to correct an ADE code..... E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY

I got 3 .... 1 Works great No Problems. 2 have these ADE code problems. I use HP with Win 7 64 bit laptop. Readers software is 2.0

BTW my laptop would not detect 2 of the Readers....I put an SD card in it detected the card THEN the Readers! Now that they detected I dont need the SD cards to connect....weird but you might want to try it!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 02-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #44
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Katie, I have a 4 gig SD card in it. It can't be seen, neither can the main memory.

I removed the card. It made no difference.

You say that you're running Ver. 2.0 of the software. The website says that 1.9 is the most current and that's what I'm running. It was automatically installed the first time that I established a network connection via Wifi.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:40 AM   #45
Rook008
Rook008 began at the beginning.

Device: Literati, Nook
Hello everybody.

I just got a Literati today, and so far it seems to work well. The selection of classics that come pre-loaded is pretty good. It found my Wifi and updated itself to Software Version 2.0 (dated Jan 19, 2001). I use Calibre to add e-books to the 2 GB memory card I have installed. There hasn't been a problem getting books on or off of the card at all, whether it's in the reader or not. The device recognizes the books without issue.

The one problem I am having is with the internal memory on the device itself. Calibre can't see the internal memory. Adobe Digital Editions sees the Literati but none of it's contents. The Kobo desktop app sees but won't sync with the device either. I can still remove books from the internal memory by using the menu on the device (when a book is highlighted, press "menu" and choose the last option, "Delete This Book").
I guess what it boils down to is I can't add books to the internal memory of the device, which is not a big problem for me.
Rook008 is offline   Reply With Quote