Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Unhappy Display or controller damaged

Hi folks,

today my loved prs-505 got damaged. And yes, it was my fault...somehow i dropped it to the ground
So now i'm facing the following problem:
The reader starts and acts as usually but the display is misplaced. It's moved to the left half of the screen. Or better said: Just the left half of the screen is used for display.

I tried resetting the reader (soft and hard reset) but it didn't help.

Because i'm living in germany i can't just go to the next sony shop. Sending the damaged reader to a friend who is living in USA would be expensive especially if there is no chance to get it repaired for a reasonable price.

So maybe someone of you can tell me from the attached pictures if the E-INK itself is damaged or if it's "only" a controller problem which sony could repair without much trouble.

Thank you in advance,
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	display03.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	15867   Click image for larger version

Name:	display04.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	15868  
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does your 505 show signs of physical damage? it doesn't look like a broken screen. What you could do it email Sony and send them one of the photos and see what they have to say before sending it out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does your 505 show signs of physical damage?
The display frame on the top is a little bit loose. Not really loose...i just can push it down 2-3 millimeters. I tried to make a photo but it's a little bit too small for my camera. The little red square in the attached photo (full size view) shows what i mean with "a little bit loose"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you could do it email Sony and send them one of the photos and see what they have to say before sending it out.
Thank you for the advice. I will do so and see what sony will say to the pictures.

I never thought that i could miss a device so much as i do in the case of the reader...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	display05.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	15870  
Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
When my display broke, it didn't display anything other than a random mosaic. The fact that this is still displaying an actual screen makes me think that it's something else that got borked. (Perhaps the ribbon cable?)

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-01-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
The fact that this is still displaying an actual screen makes me think that it's something else that got borked. (Perhaps the ribbon cable?)
Sorry to hear that you broke your readers display. But on the other hand it doesn't sound that bad to me that my readers display seems just to use a negative left offset. I thought too that the cable might possibly not be connected right anymore. But at the moment i'm waiting for response by the sony support. I don't want disassamble the reader as long as i don't know what the sony people think about the problem.
Well, if sonys support is really that bad as i read it here in many posts, i will take a look inside the reader. But the hope dies last...
Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
netseeker
sleepless reader

Just a little update:
Until now i'm still in discussion with sonys support. As expected this is really difficult because i'm living in germany and the only thing i could do on the support site (http://eservice.sony.com) is to request an exchange of the device. (Even for this an address in US is required). Sonys support simply is requesting me to use that support site - even if it is really useless in my case at the moment and i already used it to get in contact with them.
I'm still hoping that my mail contact at sony will forward my case to a real technical support if i tick them off long enough.
Does anybody else has experiences with support requests at sony from outside the US?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
netseeker
sleepless reader

No remote diagnosis - as expected

So ok, here is the next little update:
Conclusion from my discussion with the sony support is, that they don't want to do a remote diagnosis. Well, thats understandable. They told me to send it out to their repair center in texas and gave me the hint to do this via a friend or relative with an valid physical US adress otherwise the reshipping will be without any insurance. All in all the support was not that bad as i thought it would be. I got quick and friendly responses from them.

So i disassembled the device according to igorsk disassembly guide. I cleaned the reader internally and checked all cables as well as their connectors. I looked at the e-ink when i had it outside the case and indeed it doesn't seem to be broken.
After reassembly the reader acts as bad as before.

Next i will send it out to sonys repair center and see what they will say to it. Hopefully it will not be a wast of shipping costs...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Have you tried to reflash the device? I know in the case of PC/Laptop/hand-held devices, sometimes a drop will cause data corruption through spikes/lows in voltage as it hits. It could be something a simple reflashing of the original firmware (or updated from Sony) could fix the issue. Like you said, it seems to be a negative off-set of the display coordinates.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
Have you tried to reflash the device?
Yes i did and it did not help.
We will see, what sonys repair center will tell me. The device is on the way to them...
Old 09-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
mack 120
Enthusiast
mack 120 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad, Samsung NC10, IPhone 3GS, iMac, Sony PRS505 (broke)
update please.

would be really interested to know how you went on. I live in the Uk people brought a Sony back from the states for me last year. Well treasured and looked after but today screen ? scrambled in half????? so presuming its bugger.
Not sure which way to go as they are now selling in the uk. Do have access to USA address. Grateful for and advice cheers.

Mack
mack 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
hustfyb
hustfyb began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I have the same question with you,but I'm in China.It's almost impossible to deliver it back to sony. So what happend to you device ,if I can repare it myself.
hustfyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
netseeker
sleepless reader

Sorry for the long time after my last post guys. I was a little bit busy with real life and got ill too.
In my case, i decided to buy a new reader because the repair costs for the damaged reader are to much. Even if i did not expect it, the screen is broken unfortunately.
Anyone who is living outside of US/Canada/UK and is facing a damage with his/her reader i can only recommend to speak with sonys online support. They are indeed helpful and friendly. If they are not able to help you, they will tell you to send your reader to their repair center in texas.
At that stage you will have to decide if you are willing to spend the high shipment costs. If you know someone with a valid US-address then you should ask him/her if he/her could help you to manage the re-shipment from the repair center to you. If you don't know somebody in US you can send your reader to the repair center anyway. But then they will send it back to you without insurance.
All in all i must they that the high (re-)shipment costs and additionally the fee you possibly have to pay to sony for looking inside your reader will be around the half of the price of a new reader. Add the costs of repair and you will possibly end up at the price of a new reader - as it was in my case.

Now i ordered a new sony reader from B&H and will pay around EUR300 with taxes and fees. It is a little bit more expensive than the all-in-all costs of repair but i will get a new device.

Maybe i will buy a second reader for my wife end of this year. I guess i will then buy a Cybook Gen3 at http://www.justread.de (if they will offer the new price of EUR 280 until then). In that case i would deal with a german seller and the manufacturer of the device (bookeen) resides in europe too. I guess in case of a damage it would be much easier then.
On the other hand sony will offer the reader in germany in 2009 too...
Old 10-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack 120 View Post
would be really interested to know how you went on. I live in the Uk people brought a Sony back from the states for me last year. Well treasured and looked after but today screen ? scrambled in half????? so presuming its bugger.
Not sure which way to go as they are now selling in the uk. Do have access to USA address. Grateful for and advice cheers.

Mack
I would have thought that it is worth asking at a Sony Style shop, now that they are selling PRS505's in the UK. What is there to lose?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #14
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Sorry for the long time after my last post guys. I was a little bit busy with real life and got ill too.
In my case, i decided to buy a new reader because the repair costs for the damaged reader are to much. Even if i did not expect it, the screen is broken unfortunately.
Anyone who is living outside of US/Canada/UK and is facing a damage with his/her reader i can only recommend to speak with sonys online support. They are indeed helpful and friendly. If they are not able to help you, they will tell you to send your reader to their repair center in texas.
At that stage you will have to decide if you are willing to spend the high shipment costs. If you know someone with a valid US-address then you should ask him/her if he/her could help you to manage the re-shipment from the repair center to you. If you don't know somebody in US you can send your reader to the repair center anyway. But then they will send it back to you without insurance.
All in all i must they that the high (re-)shipment costs and additionally the fee you possibly have to pay to sony for looking inside your reader will be around the half of the price of a new reader. Add the costs of repair and you will possibly end up at the price of a new reader - as it was in my case.

Now i ordered a new sony reader from B&H and will pay around EUR300 with taxes and fees. It is a little bit more expensive than the all-in-all costs of repair but i will get a new device.

Maybe i will buy a second reader for my wife end of this year. I guess i will then buy a Cybook Gen3 at http://www.justread.de (if they will offer the new price of EUR 280 until then). In that case i would deal with a german seller and the manufacturer of the device (bookeen) resides in europe too. I guess in case of a damage it would be much easier then.
On the other hand sony will offer the reader in germany in 2009 too...
What was Sony's diagnosis ?
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
What was Sony's diagnosis ?
Unfortunately the main issue is a break in the screen substrate on the right side of the display (where it shows some strange horizontal lines). After getting informed about this i decided to buy a new one.