Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Bossman
Bossman doesn't litterBossman doesn't litter

Device: Prs505
CIA: World Factbook

Hi Guys

I wanted to try out the epub format with the new prs505 firmware.

To see how well it handles big files i converted the CIA World Factbook to epub format with a bit of quick and dirty text editing.

I used this guide to create the epub file
http://www.teleread.org/blog/2007/10...epub-creation/

and used this to convert the Website to xhtml
http://www.it.uc3m.es/jaf/html2xhtml/

It might not be perfect but good enough to use it.
Its much faster than the pdf version that i used before.

p.s. are we gonna have a seperate epub section?

Updated 02.08.2008
Cleanup and Multi level Toc

Updated 18.08.2008
added Flags
made xhtml 1.1 compliant
Cleanup
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Epub Cia World Factbook.epub (6.63 MB, 2780 views)

Last edited by Bossman; 08-09-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Why the thumbs down icon? This is awesome!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Bossman

didnt realise i clicked it
Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Not sure why, but the pages end off screen to the right for me. Even at the smallest font. Even in portrait orientation.

Looks like a great portable resource, but I can't get it to function correctly.

Just some friendly feedback.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
Bossman

Yes that seems to only happen in the geography section.
Firefox always renders that section correctly only in Adobe DE and on the reader is that section sometimes shifted to the right.

On thing i also found is that if one table field entry is to big to be rendered on one page, if you scroll Adobe DE and the reader will not show the rest of the field.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
Yes, please - a new EPUB section will be needed - - -

And, while you are at it, I would like to see a RTF section as well, since it is really a "universal" format - rather than a misc. (read: "oddball") format.
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
I read somewhere that the new firmware allows you to scroll. Is this something new and different - or just the limited capability of the previous firmware?
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedPark View Post
I read somewhere that the new firmware allows you to scroll. Is this something new and different - or just the limited capability of the previous firmware?
On the Sony 505? No, no scrolling.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
I wanted to try out the epub format with the new prs505 firmware.

To see how well it handles big files i converted the CIA World Factbook to epub format with a bit of quick and dirty text editing.

I used this guide to create the epub file
http://www.teleread.org/blog/2007/10...epub-creation/

and used this to convert the Website to xhtml
http://www.it.uc3m.es/jaf/html2xhtml/

It might not be perfect but good enough to use it.
Its much faster than the pdf version that i used before.
Hopefully, this output of epubcheck is useful.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: txt errs.txt (145.9 KB, 1205 views)
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Bossman

Thx MishaS

i made some cleanup.

The "same target" error from the TOC is supposed to be that way.
Isnt it allowed to have multible Entries linking to the same Point?

However i cant work out the problem with the
"I/O error reading OEBPS/countrylisting.xhtml".

i made the zip according to the spec with
zip -Xr9D cwfb.epub mimetype *
Old 08-03-2008, 03:36 AM   #11
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thx MishaS

i made some cleanup.

The "same target" error from the TOC is supposed to be that way.
Isnt it allowed to have multible Entries linking to the same Point?

However i cant work out the problem with the
"I/O error reading OEBPS/countrylisting.xhtml".

i made the zip according to the spec with
zip -Xr9D cwfb.epub mimetype *
I'll post a message in epubcheck group
Old 08-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
I'll post a message in epubcheck group
I got some recommendations privately:
Quote:
You have to re-arrange the playorder attribute in the toc.ncx file, it should be always in a ascending order. And for the I/O reading error, you should removed the doctype declaration in the HTML files. Pls do this and run the epubcheck again.
I'm not sure all of them are clear enough... I'll see what that could mean

Meanwhile, you could use online ePub validation service offered by ThreePress.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
Bossman

Thanks Mishas

The Problem was indeed the xhtml beein in version 1.0.
I converted the Paged to xhtml 1.1.
Unfortunately in the conversoin process some layout information got lost due to xhtml 1.1 restrictions.
I tried to recreate them in css.

Adobed DE behaviour regarding CSS entries it cant understand is a bit harsh. If such a file is encountered the entire CSS gets ignored. That might be something worth while adding to the epubcheck.

The bug with Text beeing cut in a Table cell, if there is more text that can be displayed on one page seems to be a bug in Adobe DE. Nothing i can do here.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
Bossman

One more thing i came across.

Adobe DE does not support Text align: Justify. The Epub standard does specify support for it. I really hope that they add this soon because it makes books look so much neater.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thanks Mishas
I just realized that I did not mention the person who actually provided the help It's "Senthil Kumar". Kudos go to him.