Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Engadget Sony Reader Roundup

Nothing new really, shame they don't talk about the people who are happy.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/20/s...eview-roundup/
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
There is also other side of all these critical reviews. The more people talk about the limitations of reader, the better, I think. Sony will become more careful, and more smart if they want to have happy reader owners, and encourage more poeple to buy the device with new firmware upgrades with new features.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #3
dotmike
dotmike began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
A few people in the comments seem to "get it."

Interesting historical comment there: papyrus -> animal skin parchments -> paper -> e-ink...

But a few more, er, don't. I give you the opinion of James Willis...

Quote:
This is a crap idea! You really can't beat having a real book in your hands, the smell of the book, the cover artwork and virtually no eye strain. There's tons of gadgets out there that are VERY VERY COOL, but this idea and product ain't one of them.
99.9% of the time i'd choose the high tech option, I mean, I'm always checking the engadget web site but this is the .1% of the time i'd prefer the retro version.
Sorry Sony but this is a rubbish idea!
Yup, don't bother even trying anyone, stick with pulped trees, it's a rubbish idea.

So I don't think he'll be buying one. Which is good, there's a shortage after all!
dotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That's an interesting point. Not only do the criticisms push Sony forward to make improvements, but think about how happy people will be when they actually see one in person or buy one. If they have been told it's rubbish, they will be ecstatic when they find out it's really pretty good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkabir
There is also other side of all these critical reviews. The more people talk about the limitations of reader, the better, I think. Sony will become more careful, and more smart if they want to have happy reader owners, and encourage more poeple to buy the device with new firmware upgrades with new features.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
It seems most of the people bashing it have never even seen one, much less used it, but that's the internet for you.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Actually, the reviews they list are fairly positive, although with serious reservations. They make the general consensus seem to be negative, however. One more reason not to take Engadget too seriously.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Most negative reviews I've read point at the present lack of content or issues with the UI. But I think most people agree that Sony did a good job on the hardware side.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Most comments on engadget are negative and usually unfounded; except for game platforms. When someone writes positive stuff, they get bashed!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Somebody recycled (I think) Alan Kay discussing the Mac, saying the Reader is the first ebook "good enough to be critizied". I think that's about right.

The hardware is great and isn't tied to Sony content. The desktop software isn't stunning, but is miles ahead of the first versions of their music software. I'd be satisified with the store if they multiplied the titles by say 4x (oh, heck - let's say 10x). It can all use some polish, paint and price lowering, but for a first shot, it's pretty impressive.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote