Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Jagged font edges on Kobo Aura HD

I just received my Kobo Aura HD with 2.8.1b firmware. I noticed that with page refresh being set at every 6 pages, I see a bit of ghosting and some jagged fonts on every page until it refreshes again after 6 pages and then one good page and it goes on like that.

Only setting a page refresh at 1 do I not see the ghosting and jagged fonts.

Does it has to do with the device or could it be a firmware bug?
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
No, it is simply the way e-ink displays work.
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Some fonts seem to be more resilient than others. I'm reading with Charis SIL and I can keep page refresh at 6, but with Amasis I'd have to keep it at no more than 2.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Also the ghosting is worse if you have pictures on your pages.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
Just set the refresh to happen every page, that's one of the first things I did on mine. I don't care if the battery life is a bit shorter as long as page rendering is perfect.

BTW, even with this setting set to 1 I still get around 30 hours of battery life, which is the expected life announced by Kobo.
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
Just set the refresh to happen every page, that's one of the first things I did on mine. I don't care if the battery life is a bit shorter as long as page rendering is perfect.

BTW, even with this setting set to 1 I still get around 30 hours of battery life, which is the expected life announced by Kobo.
Where did you see this expected battery life?

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Where did you see this expected battery life?
On Kobo's website:

http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd/techspecs/

Two months based on 30mn a day (don't miss the asterisk), which is more or less 30 hours.
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote