Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #121
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Nook Colors seem to be doing pretty well at $249 USD.
i don't know the exact figures, but they either sell it at a small loss or very little profit. they plan on getting revenue from book & app sales through it's own app store. of course rooting kinda foils their plot.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #122
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
A tear down of the nook estimates the cost to bet about $200. So they are making a $50 profit.

Last edited by =X=; 05-20-2011 at 04:57 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #123
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
That sounds about right. I can't imagine they're selling at a loss. There's a lot of developer feeling that B&N is tickled pink about all the rooting since it increases sales as much as it does. It's also doing wonderful things for the store brand in general.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #124
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
That sounds about right. I can't imagine they're selling at a loss. There's a lot of developer feeling that B&N is tickled pink about all the rooting since it increases sales as much as it does. It's also doing wonderful things for the store brand in general.
I don't know if that's true. They just smacked the rooters with a new software version that grabs all but 1 GB of space for the nook color itself. If they were happy about rooting they wouldn't make it harder.

Of course there's already a fix out for it, but still.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #125
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
All in all I'm pretty happy about my SGT COSTCO special for $399 without contract. It still has 3G on Verizon, but I have the option of turning it off without incurring an ETF. That’s $150 above the price of a WiFi only Nook Color, which is pretty much in line with Apple's $129 premium for 3G; plus I also get two cameras, GPS, gyro, accelerometers, etc.

It’s too bad that COSTCO moved to the Xoom and discontinued the SGT.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #126
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I don't know if that's true. They just smacked the rooters with a new software version that grabs all but 1 GB of space for the nook color itself. If they were happy about rooting they wouldn't make it harder.

Of course there's already a fix out for it, but still.
No they didn't smack the rooters, the whole SD card is still available, and small ones are pretty cheap. And NC's can boot from the SD.

They only smacked the non-rooters who want to sideload, which are the vast majority of their customer base. And even then, SD cards are pretty cheap!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #127
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
No they didn't smack the rooters, the whole SD card is still available, and small ones are pretty cheap. And NC's can boot from the SD.

They only smacked the non-rooters who want to sideload, which are the vast majority of their customer base. And even then, SD cards are pretty cheap!
Yeah, you're probably right. I was thinking it locked the nook down harder, but apparently not.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #128
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
It’s too bad that COSTCO moved to the Xoom and discontinued the SGT.
Samsung Galaxy Tab

$149.99 and No Contract Required
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #129
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
yes, that kb dock makes it a sweet piece. you should see the faces when i showed everyone my new toy. at first they just dismissed it as another netbook, then i popped off the tablet and !

man i miss it...
The Asus Transformer is definitely what I have been waiting for - I just love my Asus netbook for Its long battery life and ruggedness. I think the main reason people have been holding off buying tablets is because firms like Asus hadn't released models. Apple got in first, and they'll always have a dedicated user base, but I think the techy crowd knew other models were in the pipeline.
The world is still coming out of the last financial slump and I think people are being a bit more picky about how they spend their money.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #130
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
Sure interest rates on your money is way to low to really buy anything. Most of us did buy one or two Netbooks and now with tablets coming to be the norm here, still there is something missing about the tablet. Google Voice commands would be cool if it would stick. Show me today's calendar, show me current movies playing at C-M1 at 10pm. This would be cool and neat.
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #131
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Samsung Galaxy Tab

Wow! I'm tempted to get a friend from the U.S. to pick one up for me. It would make a really nice gift for me to get my mum.

I tried to give you karma, but apparently I've given you too much lately
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #132
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Samsung Galaxy Tab

Thanks for the info! What a great deal.

I guess it will sell out real quick, but I'd like to know the answer to this question and I can't find it: Can I bypass the activation or I will have to pay the first month to Verizon? In that case, the real price would be $200 (still a good deal). Does anyone know?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #133
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I own an Android smartphone, an Android tablet (rooted nook color), as well as an iPod Touch and iPad 2. I do not feel "chained into Apple's system".

Virtually all of the most useful apps that I use are available for both ecosystems, and often free. And if the apps are different, they are able to share the data.

I think that sentiment of being chained is rooted more in emotion than it reality.
I think you are right about being "chained" - I've had an iphone since 2008 and have collected a decent number of apps in 3 year. But most of them are free, and I could replace the paid ones I still use for $30 or so. It's not really much of a lock-in.

Quote:
Why Google ever allowed this is beyond me. It's their OS and they should have complete control over pushing out updates. The carriers need to be totally cut out of this procedure. When it's time for 2.x to be released, all compatible devices should get it at the same time; and from Google, not the carriers.
I agree with this 100%. While I'm not thrilled with the amount of control Apple has over my iThings, I would so much rather that Apple have control over my device than that the carriers would. And, substituting Google for Apple, I think that all Android users feel the same way.

And taking control of the OS is probably what the vast majority of users want as well. I don't think many people interpreted "open source" as meaning "open source for the carriers, but you may be locked down."

And, really, I don't think many people care about open source per se. What people want, IMO, is a phone that works like a PC. Once you install the OS, you are completely free to put whatever programs from whatever source on your device. And neither Google, nor the handset manufacturer, nor the carrier, will put any artificial barriers in your way.

The handset manufacturer is solely responsible for the handset and has nothing to say about the programs you choose to put on the handset. The carriers job is only to provide bandwidth. And the OS developer is solely responsible for producing and updating the OS.

This is, clearly, not Apple's model. But it should be Google's model.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #134
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
RE: Linux word processors that can read a Word file.
I'm curious. Once you save the file in something like Open, can Word reopen it? Or is it a one way only thing. I am going to write one of my books using the Google App. Their word processor has gotten a lot better lately. I tried a few years ago, and I found the word processor to be almost unusable for anything except short memos.
I am getting a little leery of Google Inc. I am worried about the direction that they are headed.
Has anyone tried the Notion Adam? It looks interesting.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #135
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Wow! I'm tempted to get a friend from the U.S. to pick one up for me. It would make a really nice gift for me to get my mum.

I tried to give you karma, but apparently I've given you too much lately
Thanks

Clarification: I just called their toll-free number and you also have to sign up for a data plan for at least 30 days. Their cheapest data plan is $50, so that really means the Galaxy Tab is selling for $200; not $150.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote