Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I truly don't understand why people get caught up in irrelevant details like this. Is it not the writing, the result that matters?

It's like the readers who have to strip drm and edit the files to change the font or adjust paragraph spacing or some other arcane detail.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I truly don't understand why people get caught up in irrelevant details like this. Is it not the writing, the result that matters?
It is like the difference between having sex on a waterbed instead of an asphalt road.

Last edited by Mivo; 09-23-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you pregnant?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aren't we all pregnant with ideas?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
kennyc

Some are, some aren't but what wordprocessor you use has nothing to do with that.
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
kennyc

It's like asking the stupid questions writers always get asked at readings.

Do you write in the morning or evening?

Do you keep a journal?

Do you write down your dreams?

What kind of pen do you write with?

Where do you write?

Forget all that sh*t, just write!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
Mivo
Fanatic

Okay, I'll be serious!

I do agree with the implication that all these considerations are just members of the large family of self-imposed distractions and, at the base, excuses. What matters is the writing, the result, as you said. But still, as someone who just decided to tackle a first novel, I appreciate the convenience of Scrivener insofar that I don't get burdened with aspects like organization. It handles all that, so I have fewer excuses to monkey around or get lost in irrelevant details. From that perspective, the chosen tool increases productivity and leads to "more" result.

We could probably write our stuff on toilet paper, too, and at least I would get the same results, but if fundamentally unimportant details (like the software environment) make it easier, why not?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #23
kennyc

Thanks, but really all I'm saying is that the point is to write and the less concerned the writer is with the trappings the better. It's really whatever works for YOU. I personally find the best approach to use a pen and paper in a journal then to edit/revise as I enter it in the computer. Others have their own approach whether it's a program that enforces organization or dictation like Barbara Cartland or it's just write 2000 words a day to discover what the story is like Stephen King does. (or maybe it's write the final chapter and work backwards like John Irving does)

If it works for you, do it, but don't be overly concerned about what others do. As I said in the beginning, it's only the result that matters and whether readers find it of interest.

I mean really....what FONT???

Last edited by kennyc; 09-23-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
kenny,

Threads like this are great because you can see how other people solved their issues and maybe find a way that will work better for you. With out threads like this we all just reinvent the wheel over and over, instead we could be improving on the design.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
kenny,

Threads like this are great because you can see how other people solved their issues and maybe find a way that will work better for you. With out threads like this we all just reinvent the wheel over and over, instead we could be improving on the design.
Google is your friend.

I know I'm being 'testy' but really, it's just silliness like the questions I posted above. The answer is - Just Write

Quote:
“Don't look at your feet to see if you are doing it right. Just dance.”

― Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

P.S. I just ordered these: http://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Retra...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
for editing.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-23-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Google is your friend.

Right.. and Google will find threads like THIS ONE...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Right.. and Google will find threads like THIS ONE...
As well as useful stuff.

I'll think I'll go help with flood relief now....
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #28
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I suspect that obsessing over trivia is part of a writer's nature ... at least, I like to this so, because I do it all the time. (Let's move that window over so it it looks more balanced. Should the comma go there, or maybe it reads better without? I wonder if there's a better way to check that I'm consistent with this character's speech. Are those words hyphenated or not? No, no, no, get rid of that semi-colon, lots of people don't like them, anyway, I used it wrong. etc. etc. etc.) Of course we have to learn how to rein it in and use it wisely, but what we produce is all the better because of it (I hope).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #29
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Kenny, interest in the tools we use is common.

In the old days it was "What pen do you use? What note book or index cards?" You have little interest in the tools of the trade. Most of us have more curiosity than that about our tools of choice. Maybe you use something that would feel better than what I use or get out of the way more or is less fatiguing.

Most photographers discuss the gear, even though it is the least effective difference between a beginner and a talented pro.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
kennyc

Meh!

I use Times New Roman, what do you use....

Riiiiiiiight...

Look I'm not saying it's not something of interest, but minimally and only to do an initial evaluation of what is of most value to you as a neophyte writer. To the serious writer (i.e. the true scotsman ) it is nothing but silly. A writer writes and doesn't give a sh*t about what font it is. A writer should be concerned about the words, conveying the meaning, saying what they mean to say.

If you want to study typography or word processors or outlining and plotting methods or psychology of writing then feel free, but it has little to do with actual writing.

I'm going to shut up now and get back to my writing, I've only gotten 300 words or so done due to the distraction.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-23-2013 at 12:43 PM.