Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
henders254
Enthusiast
henders254 began at the beginning.

Device: None at the moment
deleted

deleted

Last edited by henders254; 06-29-2017 at 06:00 PM.
henders254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
All sorts of weird things happen to SONY readers when the battery is not fully charged. And the fact that you haven't used the battery in a while suggests that might be the problem. I would make sure to give it a full charge. Using the AC adapter would be better, if you have it. Either way, don't trust the battery meter and/or light. Let it charge overnight to make sure it fully charges.

Failing that, a reset is your best option.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You might also have a dud... there is a known glitch that links battery drain, keypress problems etc. Friend went through three returns to Sony befor getting a brand new T1 out of them plus replacements case etc as his 650 ones were now useless...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
elk886
Enthusiast
elk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensionselk886 can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-650, Nook Glo Plus, Fire HDX7
I've been having the exact same problem the last three weeks. It's been powering on and off and waking from sleep mode on it's own. I know the first time I did a hard reset and that fixed it for about a week before it started acting up again. I'd say try that and if it doesn't work contact Sony. I'm still waiting for them to send me an email after I submitted my service request.
elk886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by henders254 View Post
I bought my PRS 650 seven months ago and haven't used it all that much.
Only read about 10 books (PDF and epubs) and took some notes.

Now it seems to be playing up.

- the battery drains over night - means the processer is not working
- if I press the options button, it goes to the next page (sometimes)
- asks me to shut down in the middle of reading
- and all kinds of other weird things

I have soft-reset the unit numerous times and re-charged fully.

The unit only has 7 PDF and epub books at the moment with some notes on them.

There is no MP3 or pictures or anything else.

There is no external memory either.

The only thing left to do is a hard-reset. Would anyone recommend doing anything else
before I proceed?

Thanks.

My PRS-650 was doing exactly the same - I bought it last November and it was sent to Sony UK for repair at the end of July. The despatch note that came back with it said that the 'ornament assembly' had been replaced. I had tried several hard-resets but because it was a problem with the hardware that made no difference.

The battery was being drained overnight because from standby it was flickering rapidly from standby screen to page to standby screen over and over - fast enough that the eye didn't register an image of the page, just a bright flash for a split second every few seconds.

Unfortunately, it started to do the same thing again a couple of weeks ago. This time it was immediately returned to Sony (via Waterstones customer service as it was still under warranty) and I will be collecting it from my local branch of Waterstones tomorrow.

I hope the problem has been fixed for good as the warranty expired on 25 November - the day it was sent back for repair!

PS You may notice from my stats on the left there that I also have a Kobo Touch - just purchased last week so I could continue to feed my e-reading habit!

Last edited by Witty Username; 12-04-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
bernardpar
bernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it isbernardpar knows what time it is

Device: hx4700
My prs-650 behaved exactly like that, If I were you I would send it to Sony tomorrow.
Mine had all internals replaced, seems to be OK now, but the first time I had sent it to Sony UK they said the reader was absolutely fine.
bernardpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
toby53
Enthusiast
toby53 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1 & Basic KOBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
My PRS-650 was doing exactly the same - I bought it last November and it was sent to Sony UK for repair at the end of July. The despatch note that came back with it said that the 'ornament assembly' had been replaced. I had tried several hard-resets but because it was a problem with the hardware that made no difference.

The battery was being drained overnight because from standby it was flickering rapidly from standby screen to page to standby screen over and over - fast enough that the eye didn't register an image of the page, just a bright flash for a split second every few seconds.

Unfortunately, it started to do the same thing again a couple of weeks ago. This time it was immediately returned to Sony (via Waterstones customer service as it was still under warranty) and I will be collecting it from my local branch of Waterstones tomorrow.

I hope the problem has been fixed for good as the warranty expired on 25 November - the day it was sent back for repair!

PS You may notice from my stats on the left there that I also have a Kobo Touch - just purchased last week so I could continue to feed my e-reading habit!
I sent mine back 3 times, on First return go the same reply as yours ('ornament assembly' had been replaced) second time battery had been replaced, third time Sony repair ( Wales )said that unable to repair . So I was sent a T1 to replace it.
toby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
There's a lot of previous on 650 batteries on the Forum, a good search will find a lot of info, but best practice is to wall charge rather than USB as PC's can actually drain the battery in certain circumstances, and the mains charge definitely gives more "oomph".
And I agree , leave it overnight, you won't overcharge it.
And never let it drain completely, and never turn it off - sleep mode always, unless you're not using it for a week or more.

My 650 battery performance improved enormously after adopting this regime.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Well, I have my reader back from Sony now.

Last time the 'ornament assembly' was replaced, this time (despite the same symptoms), the despatch note says 'electrical alignment' was the work carried out.

I have no idea what this means but I hope the problem is fixed for good now.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
henders254
Enthusiast

deleted

Last edited by henders254; 07-18-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Frabjous2001
Frabjous2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Book Reader PRS-650
I have had a PRS-650 for approximately 20 months. After using it pretty regularly over the past year and a half, I left it unused for about two months. When I picked it up again, the battery was dead and the reader would work only when plugged in to the computer.

I CAREFULLY replaced my PRS-650 battery with one from 99 using the instructions on youtube and the battery is quite good. It's important to know that the silver "ribbon" running around the bottom and side of the case has hooks that point up on the side and that therefore you have to slide the ribbon down when removing it. The top ribbon doe snot remove and therefore you don't even have to unscrew the it. The back should be slid out because it also kindof hooks into the inner shield.

Anyway this wasn't the only problem that I had. The new battery kept on draining and when it wasn't drained, the 650 was always on going on or askng me if I wanted to shut it off. I finally took it apart again using the battery replacement instructions and cleaned all around the slider switch using electronic cleaning spray, a pointed qtip and compressed air. The slider is attached to a plastic slider inside the reader that is attached by the tiniest piece of plastic to a third slider. (An electronic version of a set of gears?) The e-reader then charges correctly and works. But I've had to do this twice now.
Frabjous2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
henders254
Enthusiast

deleted

Last edited by henders254; 07-18-2017 at 12:58 AM.