Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
HD+ On Display at Barnes & Noble

My wife and I went to a Barnes & Noble this morning and the HD+ was on display along with the new covers for both the HD+ and HD.

They had not received any HD's (7" unit), nor did they have any units (HD or HD+) for sale yet. They indicated they expected them soon, as in any day now. The resolution on the HD+ screen was indeed impressive. I did notice some lag at times, as had been noted, in some early reviews. My understanding is they are planning to send a system upgrade this week to address the issue.

Overall I was impressed and my wife who had told me again and again during the past month, "I don't need a tablet, I'm perfectly happy with the one I have now." asked them to set one aside for her as soon as they arrived.

Go figure

Last edited by fbrII; 11-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Waiting on the 7" to check it out. Probably worth it to get the larger one though and believe it or not the screen alone would be my main reason for purchase. Yep, it's that good! Nothing in this price range competes IMHO with its screen.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Waiting on the 7" to check it out. Probably worth it to get the larger one though and believe it or not the screen alone would be my main reason for purchase. Yep, it's that good! Nothing in this price range competes IMHO with its screen.
Indeed, $269 for a device with a 1920x1280 screen is impressive.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I had to exchange my HD+ tonight (screen problem with the one that came UPS today) and they had both the HD and HD+ in stock. The HD+ seems quite nice so far and from what little I played with the HD in store it seemed like a nice little piece of equipment.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Huh? I thought they didn't go on sale until 11/15?

I guess I'll have to check my local store to see if they have anything more than the display models.

I can't recall from the specs. Does this new one have any sort of graphics/3D accelerator for gaming like some of the other tablets that have nvidia chips?

I'm still getting by just fine with my 16GB NT but my wife wants one of these really bad for Christmas and I know if I get her one and play with it, then I'll be drooling over hers. Maybe we could both get a new one then, once we know these can be successfully rooted, we could sell our NTs to recoup a little of the cost... I guess I'm always looking for an angle.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tried the 7" last night side by side with the larger one. If I go for one, it will be be the larger as I liked what I tried and saw on it better. Comics, magazines, games, web pages, etc.

Yep, the screen smokes big time. Tried a you tube planet earth hd video as well. Jaw dropped and when the B&N rep saw it, she bookmarked!

By the way, you may be able to trade in the NT at best buy to buy the new one.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-07-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
All I can say is my wife picked hers (HD+) up and she is one very happy lady. I on the other hand am going to take over her NT and that along with a N2A card is going to make me one very happy man.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
robertc88
Fanatic

It's nice to have three locations within 10 miles to try these. Best Buy will make four when they get them. Can't just go to one place or I'll get thrown out.

The screen on the 7" inch blows away the kfhd and nexus 7 I have.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are reports that Target stores now have them in stock as well.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook STR, Nook Tablet
I was in a Target last night here in Syracuse. The store had both the NOOK HD and the NOOK HD+ in the locked case (but, sadly, not set up on the display).
MooseFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
i bought the HD+ yesterday from BB. i haven't registered it and bypassing oobe so i can keep from getting updates until they come out with a permanent root solution. i really hate the nook reader as i do most my readiing at night and prefer blood background with red text. white on grey just doesnt cut it. i havent tried root yet nor sideloading apps. i may get to that later this week. There's no built a web browser so i haven't tested web speed yet. I'm not 100% sure it's a worthy upgrade from my samsung 8.9 yet.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
There's no built a web browser so i haven't tested web speed yet.
Yes, there is a built in web browser. From what I can tell it's the stock ICS browser.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
it there after i sign in. skipping oobe had 0 apps. i wnt are @nd took the update since it doesn't break root. netflix runs horribly on this device, at least the queue is slow as heck.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
it there after i sign in. skipping oobe had 0 apps. i wnt are @nd took the update since it doesn't break root. netflix runs horribly on this device, at least the queue is slow as heck.
Actually you can download Maxthon MX browser from the BN App store (it's free) and it is pretty good.
I was able to sideload ES File Manager via adb commands (after installing the Win 7 drivers - no problems there) and subsequently stream videos from my PC via my LAN - the quality is fantastic - this screen really rocks.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
I was able to sideload ES File Manager via adb commands (after installing the Win 7 drivers - no problems there)...
Thanks, we have then confirmation that sideloading via ADB is available.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote