Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)
MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Better question is what DOESN'T this family have?! Current: Kindle PW
Any fiction based on Highly Intellectual or Bad turned good?

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any books where the main character originally starts out 'bad' but ends up working for the good guys OR any books where there is a high functioning or highly intellectual character (preferably main)

Think along the lines of the BBC Version of Sherlock (and yes I have read Sir Conan Doyle) Or Psych (Psychic Detective - actually he is hyper observant and observes little details over look)

or even White Collar (yes - again a TV show lol) where the main character Neil Caffrey was an art thief and one of the best in his craft, but then he gets caught (because of a woman) and decides to help the feds solve crimes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really enjoy thinks that make me think, but at the same time the characters are likeable/understandable. I am afraid I am at a loss as to where I could even begin to find books like these. I hope I am clear and not too confusing.

Thank you!
MrsAmandaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you like scifi, there is the "Stainless Steel Rat" series. The lead character is the galaxy's greatest thief - when he is caught, they recruit him to go after other, more violent criminals.

For TV, there is "Dexter." A serial killer who preys on other serial killers.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Jack Higgins Sean Dillon is one bad guy turned good.

Repairman Jack - F. Paul Wilson- is kind of bad but for good reasons.

Serge Storms - Tim Dorsey - is a psychotic protagonist who commits attrocious acts for good reasons, kind of like a much crazier Dexter.

Victor Carl - William Lashner - is a sleazy lawyer who turns goodish despite himself.

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe is an intellectual crime solver

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
On the Manga/Anime side there is DEATH NOTE. (A fantasy.)
There have been several spinoff's (in narrative text, too) of the nominal "antagonist" L, a very Sherlockian (possibly autistic) young genius detective.
I rather enjoyed this one, ANOTHER NOTE:
http://www.amazon.com/Death-Note-Ano...pr_product_top

On the Fantasy side, Saberhagen's EMPIRE OF THE EAST might fit your bill.
On the pulpish side, Edgar Rice Burroughs THE MUCKER two-parter, though intellectualism is *not* this protagonist's forte.

And yes, the NERO WOLFE stories are fun but often the real protagonist is Archie Manning. Highly recommended anyway, but...

And, if you have the stomach for a very dark backstory and first volume, John Ringo's PALADIN OF SHADOWS series is about a very smart, very deadly, very twisted protagonist who beats up bad guys to keep himself from victimizing the innocent. The bad guys being terrorists and their state sponsors he doesn't have to hold back there. The series evolves into a very pulpish Doc savage-ish direction, oddly enough.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-29-2012 at 03:37 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Infinity Hold by Barry B. Longyear.
The main protagonist, Bando Niccos, is career criminal doing hard time in prison on Earth. Earth starts dumping its unrehabitable criminals on the planet Tartaros. The Infinity Hold poses, then answers the question of what type of society would arise from a mob of violent convicts dumped on a new planet with no police or government. This book will make you look at your opinions on the law and how it works. Bando Niccos becomes this worlds first police officer. I am reading this book for the third time and also the two sequels Longyear wrote and I just found out about. You can get all three, titled Infinity Hold3, on Amazon for $7.95.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It can be ambiguous but most of Barry Eisler's books run this way, with tainted heroes (e.g. John Rain series, whose protagonist is an assassin). It isn't a complete transformation because in each case these men had some form of morality that is maintained throughout.

And the sense of who are the "good guys" is blurred. Is the CIA a 'good guy' organization?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)
MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
It can be ambiguous but most of Barry Eisler's books run this way, with tainted heroes (e.g. John Rain series, whose protagonist is an assassin). It isn't a complete transformation because in each case these men had some form of morality that is maintained throughout.

And the sense of who are the "good guys" is blurred. Is the CIA a 'good guy' organization?
Yeah I would consider the CIA good guy I guess... depends on what they are doing in the context of the book
Old 10-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)

Thank you for the suggestions I will definitely be checking some of these out!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Infinity Hold by Barry B. Longyear.
The main protagonist, Bando Niccos, is career criminal doing hard time in prison on Earth. Earth starts dumping its unrehabitable criminals on the planet Tartaros. The Infinity Hold poses, then answers the question of what type of society would arise from a mob of violent convicts dumped on a new planet with no police or government. This book will make you look at your opinions on the law and how it works. Bando Niccos becomes this worlds first police officer. I am reading this book for the third time and also the two sequels Longyear wrote and I just found out about. You can get all three, titled Infinity Hold3, on Amazon for $7.95.
Apache
Thanks for that!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote