Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
hudson
Stunt Programmer
hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS500, Treo 650
Building FLTK for the iLiad

I've been able to cross compile FLTK for the arm with the iRex / OE cross compile tools, although it does generate errors on the build of some of the tests since fluid can't run and again during the install. The fltk-config script does get correctly installed in the arm tree during the 'make install', so my application builds just need to change the path to fltk-config and everything works smoothly.

The configure script:

CC=/usr/local/arm/oe/bin/arm-linux-gcc \
CXX=/usr/local/arm/oe/bin/arm-linux-g++ \
./configure \
--host arm-linux-elf \
--prefix /usr/local/arm/oe/arm-linux \
--enable-threads

make
sudo make install
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:06 AM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson
I've been able to cross compile FLTK for the arm
FLTK 1.x or 2?

And, have you tried staticly-compilling one of the sample apps? What's the resulting size?

Lots of questions, I know, but IMHO FLTK is more appropiate for the iliad than GTK+ (the only drawback for me it's that it's C++ and I would prefer it to be C...).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
hudson
Stunt Programmer
hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS500, Treo 650
Fltk app size

Quote:
FLTK 1.x or 2?

And, have you tried staticly-compilling one of the sample apps? What's the resulting size?
I used Fltk 1.1.7 since that is what we use for our applications at my company. The test applications are statically linked against libfltk.a. The "curve" test program, modified to call into liberdm for refresh, weighs in at 180 kb (130 kb after stripping).

Performance wise, the mandelbrot program takes about 1 minute to draw the entire set at the default iterations. In contrast my desktop draws it before the X server even has the window displayed. Not having a floating point unit is a real hinderance in some applications...
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
I used Fltk 1.1.7 since that is what we use for our applications at my company. The test applications are statically linked against libfltk.a. The "curve" test program, modified to call into liberdm for refresh, weighs in at 180 kb (130 kb after stripping).
That is what I was asking for. One of the problems iRex's apps have, is that they are too big (library wise) for the iliad, and they take several seconds to load. With those small sizes, the app would load almost instantly (as happens with dillo...). Great!

Quote:
Performance wise, the mandelbrot program takes about 1 minute to draw the entire set at the default iterations. In contrast my desktop draws it before the X server even has the window displayed. Not having a floating point unit is a real hinderance in some applications...
He! After all, the iliad has the performance of an old 486... witout FP! Although for image scaling and post-processing is a real handicap, for most tasks it shouldn't be so noticiable. :-)
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote