Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Keili
Keili began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Most durable E-Reader?

Hi, I'm new here. Over the past few days, I've been lurking on this forum, trying to decide which E-Reader I should buy.

I've narrowed it down to Kindle, Sony and The Nook. I don't really care about bookmarks or online browsing. Heck, I'd even be happy if there was no Wi-Fi.

What I really want is a good E-reader which doesn't go kaput after a few months, so my questions are:-

Which E-reader's screen is the most delicate and breaks easily?
Which E-reader has the most problems, like faulty buttons, etc.

I hope you guys can help me with this problem I've been grappling with.
Keili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keili View Post
Which E-reader's screen is the most delicate and breaks easily?
All of the current readers use the same screen and all have a glass substrate so are breakable. As to how easy it is to break I guess it depends on use. I've been using eInk devices since 2007 and all of my devices (5) are fine. Soon we'll see devices (such as the Boox A62) that use the new LG plastic based eInk screen (actually the A62 is out in Europe IIRC).

As to a device going kaput after a few months, this is not a common problem with any of the various devices.

Quote:
Which E-reader has the most problems, like faulty buttons, etc.
I don't recall faulty buttons being an issue on any brand reader (except isolated incidents).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Seconding Anemic Oak. I have not broken the screen on any of my Kindles, three in total. I have travelled with them donestically and internationally. I have used them at the beach. I have used them at the river. Heck, I have used one in the river in a waterproof bag. No problems.

The key is treating it as if the screen is fragile. Tossing it into a backpack with a ton of other things, even in a cover, is asking for trouble. Some people have not had the screens break many others have. It is when the screens get twisted, even a little bit, that you can have problems. The torque breaks the glass substrat.

Most of the ereaders have had few problems with buttons.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I third Anemic Oak's reply. I've had no problems with the screen, buttons or longevity (kindles, nooks, sonys). All I can say is if you have access to a store that carries them, try the ones you mention & go from there.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's perhaps worth noting, though, that if you should be unfortunate enough to have a problem, then Amazon's customer service (or, more precisely, Kindle customer service) is simply without parallel. They are outstanding good, and put every other supplier to shame. So if you think you're the sort of person who is likely to break your device, the Kindle would perhaps be the one to go for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I don't believe there is any substantial difference between any of those models in terms of screen toughness or general reliability. They're all well-liked.

All eink ereaders have a delicate screen. I'd strongly advise a cover with a stiff front and back, like the various book-style covers that are out there.

I have a Kobo Touch, which I keep in a cover. I do carry it around in my bag, but I place it between flat surfaces (my tablet case and my folder) so that there is nothing that will cause uneven pressure on either side of it. I've been lugging it around like that for 9 months with no problems.

I suspect that having an ereader with touch might offer a slight advantage, because the screen is a bit recessed into the bezel which offers just that tiny bit more distance between it, and outside force that might press against it. All three of the companies you mention have a touch ereader.

So, it really comes down to which you like best in terms of the user experience and the features. You can give the demo's a whirl someplace like Best Buy.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 05-16-2012 at 04:27 PM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
the only other consideration that others haven't mentioned is that the Kindle/Nook/Kobo Touch devices have deeper bezels than the non-touch versions. Since those screens are farther away from the front of the bezel, that might give the screen a tiny bit more protection.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I don't know that anyone can really answer that with any certainty. Not everybody treats electronics the same way. Some people are much harder on them than others. We can only share our own experiences using the various devices. I have had 3 Sony readers & the Kindle non-touch and haven't had problems with any of them.

If you're asking about durability I'd guess that means you're probably hard on your devices. Is a reader really a good idea for you then? The substrate of the glass screens can break easily.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Some people are much harder on them than others.
I'm afraid that's me. I've cracked two Kindle Keyboard screens, both replaced for free by Amazon. One was about 15 months old. I'm not sure if having bought it using the Chase Amazon credit card was a factor in being granted this perk.

If I had to take a wild guess, I think that a 5 inch screen will be more durable than a 6 inch screen. That leads to Sony. Then again, wild guesses aren't worth much.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
It all depends on how you treat the device, same as any other bit of electronics.

I treat mine as if it is a piece of thick glass. If I'm carrying it around somewhere, I put it in a case that will hold it. I don't throw it down when I'm done reading it, I place it carefully so that it won't get knocked off the surface accidentally. I don't let the kidlets play with it unless they are seated on a soft surface in case they drop it. I don't carry it around in my pockets, and if it's in my pocketbook, I make sure that I don't drop my pocketbook onto the ground or pile stuff up on top of it. If I take it on the beach, it goes into a case and the case goes into a zip-lock plastic bag and the whole thing goes into a beach bag surrounded by a towel, and it is returned to the same when I'm finished reading.

It's just all basic commonsense stuff. My experience with ereaders has been that they all work well right from the start unless you happen to buy one that is a lemon. Sonys, Kindles and Nooks are popular for a reason, and not all of it has to do with brand names. If they weren't holding up, people wouldn't still be buying them.

The Sony PRS-350 that I have has an aluminum case; that seems to be strong. The Sony T1 has a plastic case and that's doing fine too. Both have touch screens and have held up well to my poking at them.

Last edited by Xanthe; 05-16-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
If I had to take a wild guess, I think that a 5 inch screen will be more durable than a 6 inch screen. That leads to Sony. Then again, wild guesses aren't worth much.

Sony only makes the T1 now and that's a 6 inch.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
Keili
Keili began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Everyone, thank you so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

I'm very, very! Careful when handling anything of my own. I have a 3 year-old Sony Walkman which looks just as good as on the day I bought it.

I live in Asia and have never had an e-reader before. For the past couple of days, I've been reading reviews on e-readers and some of what people said terrified me! Which is why I decided to ask the kind people on this board for advice.

So as long as I treat it really well, the glass won't break?
Keili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
Irish Lion
Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Irish Lion actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Ignoring the possibility of freak occurrences of nature (such as earthquakes and tornadoes), taking care of the device should prevent breakage.
Irish Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:

I don't know if I'd go that far because the glass surface itself doesn't break, or rarely anyways but it's the stuff beneath the glass surface that does. You won't see any physical damage but you'll turn on your reader to a frozen screen, weird lines. Google broken Kindle screen & look at images to see what they look like.

You can break it without even realizing you've done so by torqing it or something pressing in on the screen when it's in a purse or bag or backpack. Generally speaking it should be fine but I wouldn't say that it won't break. Stuff happens even with careful useage.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The buttons on my Nook are rather wobly and the plastic feels somewhat cheap (I still like it).
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote