Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy Help with audiobooks........

Sony PRS650 - Anyone out there from the UK who can sort me out ?!

I tried to d/load an audiobook from the eresources section of my local library - registered, all the steps, started the d/load, got to 50+% - and it told me I didn't have a compatible device connected - and sure enuff, it's not on the list.

So can I d/load ANY audiobooks ? Or have completely missed out on a vital bit of information ? Like I need another sort of ebook audio thingy..........
Or was I supposed to d/load it onto my PC alone, then bung it on the reader....?

Oh lawks, this tech stuff does my head in sometimes.........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, carpetmojo. Is your e-library run by Overdrive? Perhaps you are using the wrong file format? In the US many audiobooks are WMA. You need to download audiobooks that are MP3 format. WMA won't work with the Sony ereaders.

Many libraries in the US and UK use Overdrive as their source for ebooks and audiobooks. I use the Overdrive Media Console software to download audiobooks. It places them on my hard-drive in the folder "Documents/My Media/MP3 Downloads". The MP3 audiobooks do not have DRM; it is the honor system for you to delete them when they expire. Connect your 650 to your computer via USB. Then drag-and-drop the MP3 files into the folder database/media/audio on your ereader.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Um... it's Net Library Media Centre, Clipper, and EBSCO (? Not sure about that , it dissappeared too quickly) are involved . Sorry so vague, but trying to rush this reply, got to depart !
So perhaps I need to d/load as an mp3 ?
Can't find any "instruction" details in manual on using the mp3 facility , should I go somewhere really obvious that I haven't found ..........!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Net Library is an alternative to Overdrive. Most libraries in the US or UK use one of these two systems. It's pretty standardized how it works from library to library with common software. My library uses Overdrive so I'm not familiar with Net Library. However, I have a friend on the Isle of Wight and I know that his e-library uses Net Library and Clipper DL download service for audiobooks. Therefore, I looked up his library's FAQs and put a link below. Your local library should have a similar FAQs page. More than likely these same instructions will apply to you too.
http://www.iwight.com/netlibrary/docs/ClipperDLFAQs.pdf

Step 1: Make sure the book that you are borrowing is an MP3 file. You cannot use WMA files with the Sony ereader.

Step 2: From the FAQ's it looks like you have the option of either downloading the audiobooks via their Media Center software or direct through the website. I would follow these instructions in the FAQs regarding MP3's to download the files direct from the website to your hard-drive and ignore their Media Center software. I just cut-and-paste them from the FAQ link below.

To do this, perform the following steps:
  • Go to the Clipper DL website
  • Enter your username and password
  • In the Search field, in the box for Format, click MP3
  • Once you have located the audiobook that you wish to download, click on “Download this Audiobook”
  • Click Checkout & Download CD Quality
  • If an information bar appears, click OK and then click “Download Manually”
  • When the file download dialog box appears click “Save”
  • The best place to save the file is on the desktop where you can find it once it has finished downloading
  • The file will begin transferring to your computer
  • Once the download has completed, you will see it on your desktop

Step 3: Once you have located the MP3 files on your desktop, then you can drag-and-drop them to the database/media/audio folder on your ereader as I previously suggested. Hope that helps!

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 02-21-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
OK, as I'm familiar with Net Library (here in the States), I'll chime in ...

First, I'm not a fan of using the media center to download parts, especially with the 650 as it shows where you are in the book (ex: 2:45 along of 12:34 total). I'd prefer to tag the (long) file with "Net Library" as the title, author as "artist", and the name of the book as the (sole) track. Add a nice cover, and transfer to the reader's Music file. If you would rather use parts, you'll have to tag each separately (Part 01, etc.), and be sure that the picture is linked to each item.

My point is that Net Library mp3 books do play on 650/950's - quite well actually once you've got them set up.

By the way, the downloaded file(s) should be located in your Windows "music" area, if you are not using Mac or Linux. Tagging is easiest (recommended) via Windows Media Player; you'll likely have to tell WMP to add them.

B_G: Jinx!

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 02-21-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: add note
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Great! I was hoping somebody who uses Net Library would chime in.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard

Thanks Bookworm & Seaguy - now I know what to fill my weekend doing !!

Terrific, many thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Is there any way to bookmark an audiobook on the 650? I mostly use my Sansa clip for audiobooks and have only put some music on my 650 so far but wondered about bookmarking; there are some times when it would be easier to have the audiobooks on the reader instead.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Is there any way to bookmark an audiobook on the 650? I mostly use my Sansa clip for audiobooks and have only put some music on my 650 so far but wondered about bookmarking; there are some times when it would be easier to have the audiobooks on the reader instead.
Not sure what you mean by 'bookmark'?

So far as I know, the Sony can't have multiple Audio Book titles open at the same time, and independently remember track positions for multiple titles, like it does for its standard text type e-book titles.

You can pause playback at any time, even while reading a text title, and then resume audio playback later from the same point, but only for the single album or audio book title which is 'now playing'.

Last edited by delphin; 02-26-2011 at 11:40 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote