Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
Just figured out how to update the title to reflect the new half-priced thing. Again, the link is at my website which also has other stuff you might enjoy:http://www.marionstein.net.

And you can always get The Death Trip, my novella, free on smashwords or 99 cents at the kindlestore (wireless download slightly better formatting). Enjoy

Last edited by Marioninyc; 08-10-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: updated
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

deleted

Last edited by Marioninyc; 08-17-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #18
Marioninyc
Marion

Just got a great review from Larry Harrison, the author of one of my favorite books! This is from the Amazon UK site:

5.0 out of 5 stars Loisaida, 15 Aug 2010
By Larry Harrison "woldsedge" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loisaida -- A New York Story (Kindle Edition)
Marion Stein's stunning new novel, set in New York's Lower East Side (Loisaida) in the 1980s, is largely based on the real life murder of Monica Beere, whose body was rendered into soup and fed to the homeless in Tompkins Square Park. This is noir at its best, a dark tale that explores human frailty among those who pursue justice, as well as among the perpetrators of horrific crimes. In her psychological insights, as well as in the quality of her writing, Stein is a worthy heir to Raymond Chandler.

New York is more than just the backdrop to this story; the events throw a spotlight on the city's history, its unique neighbourhoods, its housing markets, its people. The reader meets all the larger-than-life characters who crowded the city's streets in the 1980s -- the revolutionary anarchists, corrupt cops, evangelical dope dealers, Satanists and TVs -- "all competing for breathing space in a city without air". It's like going back in time and spending a weekend sat in the lobby of the Chelsea Hotel.

Unlike many innovative, literary novels, Loisaida moves at a fast pace -- as fast-moving as New York City itself. Each chapter is written from a different point of view. With such a large cast there was a danger that the storyline would fragment, but like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Stein is able to handle these transitions skillfully. She engages the reader's sympathy with the main protagonist, an actor-turned-journalist, and we follow his growing obsession with investigating a macabre murder, his increasing cocaine, heroin and prescription drug use, and the slow disintegration of his personality. Stein writes with candour and a sense of emotional authenticity. Like a singer with perfect pitch, she has a gift for finding the voice for each character and understanding their motivation. She is able to tell a captivating story, and the result is a book that is impossible to put down.

Last edited by Marioninyc; 08-16-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #19
Marioninyc
Marion

deleted

Last edited by Marioninyc; 08-17-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #20
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Is this true crime or just "inspired by true events" like TCM was inspired by Ed Gein?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #21
Marioninyc
Marion

It's not true crime. It's a work of fiction. There are a lot of events that happened in the East Village at that time that inspired the writing of the book. It's also despite the gruesome nature of the murder, a literary novel and the murder while central to the plot is not lingered on. If you are looking for a disgusting gore fest, this isn't the book for you. If like me you are curious about horrible things and why they happen then the book is for you. It starts out with a body being found --- not the girl who was cannibalized, but a promising young man dead like River Phoenix or Heath Ledger or countless others of stupidity, and poses the question, "How could a man like that -- handsome, smart, with money -- fall so suddenly and completely?

(I know who Ed Gein is because I know his story "inspired" Psycho. But Psycho wasn't about Ed Gein. Don't know what TCM is. Update: Oh, Texas Chain Saw Massacre! Look, forget about the "inspired by" tag. Just take a look at the description. It's about ambition, obsession, losing yourself, lacking boundaries, real estate. Honestly, I don't even want you to read it if you're expecting TCM.)

Last edited by Marioninyc; 08-17-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #22
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioninyc View Post
People are SOOO nice here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioninyc View Post
Gee, you people are tough. Hundreds of downloads for the give away, but no one even sampling for $1.49? Check it out at least. You might like it.
Wow - a whole five days to go from 'so nice', to 'tough'... I guess a week's a long time in literary promotion.

Seriously though, here in R.O.W. (rest of world i.e. outside the US) lots of folks take their summer holidays in July & August so if they aren't already away from their computers, they may have already bought their summer reading material. Or perhaps there are other explanations...

Anyway, I've bought your book and added it to my TBR stack - even stumped up the whole $3.50 on Kindle store, lol!

Cheers, Pete

p.s. did you know that your blog doesn't show up on iPad or iPhone - or at least, not on mine *shrug*
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
Marioninyc
Marion

Hi Pete -- Sorry. And I didn't know about the blog not showing on I-Pad. That's a mystery. I'll look into that. Wish you'd written me, I would have gotten the coupon before you shelled out the big bucks.
For anyone else facing that issue, I'll give the direct links here. The book is available on Smashwords at: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/19153 and the coupon for 50% off is: LU52V.

update: Thanks again, Pete. I figured out the problem with I-Pad, had to do with an old plug in now gone.

Last edited by Marioninyc; 08-19-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Tags
gritty and dark, literary fiction, new york city