Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: So, after the Q&A, where are you now on the Sony Reader?
Make mine Sony! 9 37.50%
Leaning toward Sony. 6 25.00%
Now I don't know what to think! 3 12.50%
Leaning away from Sony. 4 16.67%
Anything but Sony! 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
So, where are we now?

Okay, now that we've seen Sony's answers, and what they did and didn't answer, where does that put us now?

I know a number of folks have already commented that they've decided to go with the Sony Reader. And a number have said they won't do Sony ever, ever, ever!

I'm leaning pretty heavily the first direction, myself, since my main concerns (being able to put non-Sony content on the thing) have been put to rest for a while now. I still want to see the device before I make a final decision,of course, and I'd also really like to see the HanLin first. Unfortunately their lack of movement may make that decision for me.

Where is everyone else on that?

What things are y'all still concerned/wondering about that might affect your decisions?

What things are liking?

If you've already decided one way or the other, what, if any were the big deciding factors for you?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

I want to buy the Sony Reader right now but I cant.

Will this device run .lit books?
Why are the compatibility specs so short?
Isn't there a ton of extensions in e-books?

Last edited by Frogsmasha; 08-15-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsmasha
I want to buy the Sony Reader right now but I cant.

Will this device run .lit books?
Why are the compatibility specs so short?
Isn't there a ton of extensions in e-books?
I'm pretty sure it won't run .lit files, but there are (reportedly) a number of apps that will convert to other formats which may or may not violate copyright laws depending on your location.

There are, indeed, a large number of formats for e-books, that's one of the problems with them thus far. For my part, I'm hoping that truly mainstream market viable readers (read: e-ink display readers) will increase the demand enough that the publishing houses will get off it and agree to do something about the tower of e-babel, as it's known.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Have any idea when this may come out?
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsmasha
Have any idea when this may come out?
PC Magazine review said probably October -- as best as I can determine, that ought to be pretty close.
Advert
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm still in the same place I was - I *still* don't know what to think ;-) I'll probably end up getting one, since Jinke is lagging so badly, but I'm not sure it's the best solution.

The Q&A session didn't change my mind at all, because they gave very few deep answers. A little new information poked its head out, but the most interesting/provocative questions were ignored, and the rest didn't teach us much we couldn't glean from the materials out there. Somewhat disappointing :-(
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:41 AM   #7
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Ready now

I'm like Frogsmasha - ready to buy. Not that I think the Sony will be perfect, but I desperately want a PDF reader that I can store large numbers of PDFs on. I have a Nokia 770 but it just doesn't cut it, for a number of reasons.

An iRex would be great for the increased resolution and the note taking and annotation capabilities - but it is out of my price range and it seems a number of people have had hardware problems with their units. Jinke don't seem to be making any progress - I've sent them mail three times in the past several weeks and get the same stock reply each time. Sony has the big advantage of being a global company - if something goes wrong it should be easy to return/replace; who knows what the situation would be with Jinke. So a Sony it is. They're a big company and I don't hold the consumer electronics division responsible for the rootkit debacle; the memory stick seems to be their biggest SNAFU so far. My experience with Sony electronics has generally been good (especially their video cameras).

So c'mon Sony - release it already! Or send me a unit to beta test - and I'll show it to all my MSFT buddies and get them jealous!
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:05 AM   #8
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
The Sony seems nicer, based on screen proportions and weight factors, as well as the fact the the PDF reader is by Adobe. But ... until I've actually seen how well their reader (for their eBooks, not PDF) actually works, I won't look for ways of buying one.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:46 AM   #9
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Well....I think it's clear I will go for the Sony reader. I just hope it will be released soon because I'm getting a bit nervous.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I'm waiting for the Sony until Apple get's one out...which is probably never !
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I go for the Sony because of size and price.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I go for the Sony because of size and price.
Really? Aren't you a MacUser? I'm guessing access to the Connect Store isn't a deal-breaker for you then.

Last edited by NatCh; 08-16-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #13
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
I'm with you guys I really not impressed with the iLiad going to switch to a Sony as soon as I can get hold of one.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #14
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
I'm with you guys I really not impressed with the iLiad going to switch to a Sony as soon as I can get hold of one.

What made you come to this decision if I may ask?

EDIT: Didn't you sell the iLiad of you girlfriend also and if so is she gonna buy a Sony Reader as well?

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-17-2006 at 09:31 AM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote