Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
E-book for course, not sure how to proceed

I am taking an on-line course starting this week, and tried to buy the book today. When I saw it was available in an 'ebook version' I assumed that meant PDF (groan) and thought nothing of it. But when I went on-line today, the three options were:

1) Just a print book
2) Just an 'access code' for the 'electronic version'
3) The 'access code' plus the print book

And there was no way to remove the shipping charge if you only bought the 'access code' whatever that is

So does this mean that the 'electronic version' is probably not a downloadable ebook file but rather some sort of secure website I would not be able to access once the course is done and my 'access code' expires? If so, am I likely to get text I can copy/paste into a Word document for my $39.95 plus shipping (silly! if they are going to offer an e-only option, I should not have to pay a shipping charge!)? Or do you think that 'access code' means they have it so tightly locked up that all I get is viewing and they won't let me copy/paste?

The print plus 'access code' is only $20 more. I very seldom use coursebooks again (this is not my first on-line course) but IF all I am going to get with the 'access code' is annoying webpages I can't download or read off-line, that's not going to be much good to me. Anybody have any experience with this kind of system? What kind of 'electronic version' am I reasonably looking at here? Worth it to spring for the dead tree copy too?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
$40 bucks for the "electonic version", or $60 bucks for the e-version + the pbook?

How much is the pbook alone?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Tied eBooks online (one as to be connected and can just read the book that way) is an old business model that some publishers (NetLibrary comes to mind) had tried in the beginning of the eBook “revolution”.
All of them failed miserably mainly because people want to get the eBook and read it when and with what they want and hate to be tied to a “cord” (even if it’s wireless…).

My advice: buy the paper book, digitize it and thus get the eBook version to use at your pleasure/usefulness, and as you say, you keep on having the course book for the future if needed (now in p and e versions).

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote